TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Gt-500Kr® Handling Kit M-23000-Kr

supe

I see the SHELBY GT-500KR HANDLING KIT kit selling on E bay in the $200 plus range (M-23000-KR).

My questions:

Will this kit lower a GT500?

Will this kit lower a GT?

What are the improvements over stock?

Supe

I see the SHELBY GT-500KR HANDLING KIT kit selling on E bay in the $200 plus range (M-23000-KR).

My questions:

Will this kit lower a GT500?

Will this kit lower a GT?

What are the improvements over stock?

Supe

Yes, will lower GT500 a little.

No, won't lower a GT (they weigh less).

Stiffer springs than regular GT500, better quality dampers. Works very well on a GT500, especially for the price. :)

The KR springs lowered my 08 GT500 5/8" in the front and 1 1/4" in the rear. It's not as low as some people like but it's much better than stock. The kit took out some of the rock 'n' roll and gave the car a more composed feeling. My wife commented that it still rides well if ride comfort is a concern. For the money I think it's a great package for a street car.

I also installed the M-5570-A Jounce Bumper Kit and the M-4264-A Adjustable Panhard Bar with it.

Would this kit work for a convertible?

I would like to know this info as well and how much it would actually lower the car? All the suspension and lowering kits I've seen or heard about are designed for coups. Many people use them on convertibles and the end result is that the rear of the car actually sits lower than the front, a look that I don't care for. I would like to drop my 09 vert 3/4" in front and 2" in the rear. This would leave the same gap between the top of the tire and the wheel well opening.

I would like to know this info as well and how much it would actually lower the car? All the suspension and lowering kits I've seen or heard about are designed for coups. Many people use them on convertibles and the end result is that the rear of the car actually sits lower than the front, a look that I don't care for. I would like to drop my 09 vert 3/4" in front and 2" in the rear. This would leave the same gap between the top of the tire and the wheel well opening.

I don't have a convertible but the KR springs may not lower your car as much as you want. Here are the measurements from the ground to the fender lip for my coupe. This is with stock tires and a full gas tank.

Stock Front 28 3/8" Rear 29 3/4"

KR Springs Front 27 3/4" Rear 28 1/2"

The Ford Racing Tech Line might be able to tell you. They have been helpful when I've called them.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/contacts/contactfrpp.asp

Gary Yeomans Ford has the kit on eBay for $167.95 with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380802619721?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Edited by ShelbyII

I don't have a convertible but the KR springs may not lower your car as much as you want. Here are the measurements from the ground to the fender lip for my coupe. This is with stock tires and a full gas tank.

Stock Front 28 3/8" Rear 29 3/4"

KR Springs Front 27 3/4" Rear 28 1/2"

The Ford Racing Tech Line might be able to tell you. They have been helpful when I've called them.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/contacts/contactfrpp.asp

Gary Yeomans Ford has the kit on eBay for $167.95 with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380802619721?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

OK, So using your numbers your total drop is:

Front = 5/8" drop

Rear = 1-1/4" drop

This could work, I would expect a vert to drop a little lower than a coupe in the rear because its heavier than a coupe. The question is how much lower.

I may just pick up the kit and give it a try. For the price you can't go wrong.

Thanks for the INFO

Edited by ati

OK, So using your numbers your total drop is:

Front = 5/8" drop

Rear = 1-1/4" drop

This could work, I would expect a vert to drop a little lower than a coupe in the rear because its heavier than a coupe. The question is how much lower.

I may just pick up the kit and give it a try. For the price you can't go wrong.

Thanks for the INFO

You know what? It'll be worth the price just for the better shocks!

I just picked up a set of these. Thanks for the post. Do you need spring compressor for the install? I was reading on other installations (not this kit) that they were not needed, but not too sure due to the small drop. Anyone know?

I didn't use a spring compressor but I assembled my kit with new strut mounts (M-18183-C) and strut top nuts (W520215S440). I was able to compress the spring far enough by hand to start the nut.

I also installed the M-5570-A Jounce Bumper Kit. Not required but FRPP says they are "designed for improved stability/ride comfort when used in conjunction with FRPP lowering springs".

The M-5570-A Jounce Bumper for the strut looks like the same size bumper that come on the KR strut. Can you verify if they are the same size?

The M-5570-A Jounce Bumpers are the same size but I believe they are a softer durometer. I replaced the bumpers that came on my KR struts with the M-5570-A parts and I'm happy with them. I've had the kit on my car for two years.

Why does this kit say it fits the 2008 to 2010 and not include the 2007 ?

It does fit a 2007....or is there some issue ?

Hi Rob - I would guess that 2008-2010 is a mistake. All of the other FRPP SVT kits include 2007 and there is nothing unusual with the KR parts. I used the same parts list for nuts and bolts for my 08 that I used for my 05 GT.

I just ordered 2 of these kits. One for my car and one for my wifes. $335 for both sets shipped free from Gary Y. Great deal.

Does anyone have a link to the installation instructions ?

I haven't seen any FRPP instructions but it's a standard S197 spring and damper install. This link may help and I'm sure there are others.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/steeda-sport-springs-0510-install.html

I assembled the struts with new strut mounts and top nuts.

I haven't seen any FRPP instructions but it's a standard S197 spring and damper install. This link may help and I'm sure there are others.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/steeda-sport-springs-0510-install.html

I assembled the struts with new strut mounts and top nuts.

Thanks for the info. I have a couple other questions.

1. Do I need an alignment aftr these parts are installed ?

2. Are any other mods required? Some are telling me I need a BMR adjustable panhard bar or my rear end will be off centered.

I was hoping to just increase the ride handeling with this kit alone and not get into a major install of other parts at this time.

Thanks for the info. I have a couple other questions.

1. Do I need an alignment aftr these parts are installed ?

2. Are any other mods required? Some are telling me I need a BMR adjustable panhard bar or my rear end will be off centered.

I was hoping to just increase the ride handeling with this kit alone and not get into a major install of other parts at this time.

1) Yes you will need an alignment.

2) I would recomend an adjustable panhard bar to keep the rearend centered. Do it at the same time you do the springs, its a simple install.

Yes , you will need to have the car realinged . The adjustable panhard bar is a maybe - you will need to check to see if your axle is still centered or not ( if it even was to begin with ) and if you are lucky enough to find an original KR front sway bar ( the rear is the same as GT500 ) which most were sold off a while back then you will have the complete package.

1) Yes you will need an alignment.

2) I would recommend an adjustable panhard bar to keep the rearend centered. Do it at the same time you do the springs, its a simple install.

Which adjustable panhard bar are you going with? BMR ?

This thread offers some good insight on the KR suspension components and the resulting ride height drop ... and more. BMR makes a good adjustable panhard bar; that's what I have on my car. It's always a good idea to get the alignment checked any time you tear in to the front suspension.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/svt-shelby-gt500-150/689714-bits-pieces-kr-more.html

This thread offers some good insight on the KR suspension components and the resulting ride height drop ... and more. BMR makes a good adjustable panhard bar; that's what I have on my car. It's always a good idea to get the alignment checked any time you tear in to the front suspension.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/svt-shelby-gt500-150/689714-bits-pieces-kr-more.html

I am going to go read that link now. Funny I just sent TOB a PM because I knew he would have some info for me.

Is that your car? Tana wants Red and I would go with Black. Do you have a link to the correct one to order ?

Yes, Thats my car.

I got the panhard bar from Summit Racing. PHR006R for RED and PHR006H for hammered

http://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/panhard-bars/make/ford/year/2009/submodel/shelby-gt500

Edited by ati

Yes, Thats my car.

I got the panhard bar from Summit Racing. PHR006R for RED and PHR006H for hammered

http://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/panhard-bars/make/ford/year/2009/submodel/shelby-gt500

OK. Thanks for the link on that adjustable PHB. $139 is not too bad. What about that other red bar I see you have. Is that required to change out or can I keep my factory one?