TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Fuel Filter Replacement - Nice Improvement In Throttle Response

barspen

While making a list of DIY preventive\routine maintenance, I started looking into replacing my fuel filter. Not much info on this in various forums, etc. Filter cost about $12 online.

Here's a quick overview:

1) Front up on ramps

2) Disconnect fuel pump control module in spare tire well

3) Turn over car until the engine cuts out (This depressurizes the lines)

4) Disconnect negative battery terminal

5) Remove fuel tube shield (4x10mm) to gain access to the fuel filter. The shield is below the driver seat against the frame rail.

6) Depress green clips and slide off couplings (You will get some gas on your hands/on the ground. I used a oil change pan to catch most of it)

7) Slide off old fuel filter (notice the 'brown' gas coming out of the end...nasty)

8) Insert new filter, making sure the arrow is pointing to the front of the car

9) Reconnect both couplings until you hear a 'click'

10) Reconnect negative battery terminal

11) Reconnect FPCM in trunk

12) Prime lines\new filter by turning key to power up car, but don't start it (you will hear a whine noise as the lines are primed). Do this 3 times

13) Start car and look for leaks.

14) Bolt the tube shield back on

Pretty easy to complete. Took about an hour including getting it up on ramps.

What really surprised me was how much better the car felt when I got on it. Throttle response seemed MUCH improved. Kind of surprised the dealership didn't recommend this earlier. I'm going to start doing it every year/15K.

Always a good idea to do this yearly especially in places like Phoenix and in West Texas where I live...Lots of dirt in the air, and our gas tanks are old so I'm sure there is a lot of gunk in them that gets pumped into our fuel tanks at times...

Just picked up a 2010 GT500 last weekend with 18k on it and I am doing some of the preventative maintenance, replaced air filter today next up is fuel filter. My question is, can I do this without the ramps? I haven't had much luck finding ramps that the front fascia will clear.

Just picked up a 2010 GT500 last weekend with 18k on it and I am doing some of the preventative maintenance, replaced air filter today next up is fuel filter. My question is, can I do this without the ramps? I haven't had much luck finding ramps that the front fascia will clear.

Mine is lowered, so ramps or jack stands are a must for swapping the fuel filter. Single jack on the driver side pinch-weld might do it. You need to pull down (or off) the fuel tube shield, so you need a little room for access.

If you don't mind dropping some dough, these are great. Super light weight and durable.

http://www.amazon.com/Race-Ramps-RR-56-56-Ramp/dp/B003WSZH9G

I drive up a few few inches without scraping the facia too much and slide a low profile jack under the frame rail to lift the rest of the way. Then I drop the top of the ramp under the wheels, chock the opposite end and I'm good to go.

Mine is lowered, so ramps or jack stands are a must for swapping the fuel filter. Single jack on the driver side pinch-weld might do it. You need to pull down (or off) the fuel tube shield, so you need a little room for access.

If you don't mind dropping some dough, these are great. Super light weight and durable.

http://www.amazon.com/Race-Ramps-RR-56-56-Ramp/dp/B003WSZH9G

I drive up a few few inches without scraping the facia too much and slide a low profile jack under the frame rail to lift the rest of the way. Then I drop the top of the ramp under the wheels, chock the opposite end and I'm good to go.

Barry - Thank you for the filter change write-up. I need to change mine.

The Race Ramps are nice, but yes they are not cheap. If a car is lowered, I suggest the 67" instead of the 56", if the car is low enough the angle of the 56" may not be quite long enough and the car splitter will scrape, this will eventually damage the Race Ramps. The 56" ramps are 8" tall and the 67" are 10" tall, sometimes that extra couple of inches matters?

Sorry for the blurry pictures, my camera is hit and miss on quality...........It's a 2001 model Nikon that has taken thousands and thousands of pictures......

I have found the 2-pc. ramp design to work best and this would be perfect for the fuel filter change..............

010_zpsed3bfcbc.jpg

018-2_zps1b39600f.jpg

If the extra $$$ are available the roll-ups allow for a floor jack to be rolled under the rear while the front is up on the ramps............

011-5_zpsf72bf46c.jpg

When the rear car is elevated with a floor jack, the Race Ramp cradles can be installed. The cradles shown are 10", but they also are available in 8" and 12". My 67" ramps are 10", the cradles are 10" so I can get my car up and level at 10" off the floor. This is a nice level, even for a larger guy like me.

017-2_zps5d1b6579.jpg

For home garage maintenance, these are a Great solution and when you are done with the project, the Race Ramps store in their shipping boxes.

R

While making a list of DIY preventive\routine maintenance, I started looking into replacing my fuel filter. Not much info on this in various forums, etc. Filter cost about $12 online.

Here's a quick overview:

1) Front up on ramps

2) Disconnect fuel pump control module in spare tire well

3) Turn over car until the engine cuts out (This depressurizes the lines)

4) Disconnect negative battery terminal

5) Remove fuel tube shield (4x10mm) to gain access to the fuel filter. The shield is below the driver seat against the frame rail.

6) Depress green clips and slide off couplings (You will get some gas on your hands/on the ground. I used a oil change pan to catch most of it)

7) Slide off old fuel filter (notice the 'brown' gas coming out of the end...nasty)

8) Insert new filter, making sure the arrow is pointing to the front of the car

9) Reconnect both couplings until you hear a 'click'

10) Reconnect negative battery terminal

11) Reconnect FPCM in trunk

12) Prime lines\new filter by turning key to power up car, but don't start it (you will hear a whine noise as the lines are primed). Do this 3 times

13) Start car and look for leaks.

14) Bolt the tube shield back on

Pretty easy to complete. Took about an hour including getting it up on ramps.

What really surprised me was how much better the car felt when I got on it. Throttle response seemed MUCH improved. Kind of surprised the dealership didn't recommend this earlier. I'm going to start doing it every year/15K.

Good post. Thanks. I find it interesting (strange actually) that the Mustang/Shelby manuals do not list changing the fuel filter at all in the maintenance schedules. When I got my 2012 I asked the dealership and also called SVT on this issue. Both recommended change intervals of 30,000 miles.

Barry - Thank you for the filter change write-up. I need to change mine.

The Race Ramps are nice, but yes they are not cheap. If a car is lowered, I suggest the 67" instead of the 56", if the car is low enough the angle of the 56" may not be quite long enough and the car splitter will scrape, this will eventually damage the Race Ramps. The 56" ramps are 8" tall and the 67" are 10" tall, sometimes that extra couple of inches matters?

Sorry for the blurry pictures, my camera is hit and miss on quality...........It's a 2001 model Nikon that has taken thousands and thousands of pictures......

I have found the 2-pc. ramp design to work best and this would be perfect for the fuel filter change..............

For home garage maintenance, these are a Great solution and when you are done with the project, the Race Ramps store in their shipping boxes.

R

Robert

I really like the two-piece 67" ramps you have. My only consideration at the time was budget. There is some minor scraping with the 56" ramps, but I can live with it for now. The 12" cradles are in my Amazon "save" list...Maybe my post-Christmas gift to myself :thumbsup:

Good post. Thanks. I find it interesting (strange actually) that the Mustang/Shelby manuals do not list changing the fuel filter at all in the maintenance schedules. When I got my 2012 I asked the dealership and also called SVT on this issue. Both recommended change intervals of 30,000 miles.

Thanks. I was really surprised at the lack of info on the GT500 fuel filter in the manuals or online too. I believe the newer V6 and GT don't have one anymore, but seems like an important maintenance item for GT500 owners. I past 30K early this year and the dealership never mentioned it when I had it in for service. :shrug:

Just finished changing out my fuel filter, a scissor jack on the pinch weld behind the front drivers tire gave me enough room to get the job done.

The filter on the car was Motorcraft and had some purple lines on the inlet and outlet tubes, which the Motorcraft I bought from O'Reilys did not have. So, I am thinking the car still had the original filter and my time was worth it. There was some pretty brown fuel coming out of the inlet side after I got it off the car.

Robert

I really like the two-piece 67" ramps you have. My only consideration at the time was budget. There is some minor scraping with the 56" ramps, but I can live with it for now. The 12" cradles are in my Amazon "save" list...Maybe my post-Christmas gift to myself :thumbsup:

^^^^I know, I had to buy these Race Ramps over time, it was an investment, but now that I have the full set, they work Great. <<I also bought them when Race Ramps was offering special deals. One time they had 20% off, another time they offered a Race Ramps race mat ($45 value) free with the purchase of a set of ramps.

I almost bought the 12" cradles, but there was not a ramp that was also 12" and I wanted my car to sit level when it was up in the air, for the time(s) when level is needed. <<Most recently adjusting my BMR UCA and getting the pinion angle correct, the car has to be level.

One other thing I noticed about the 12", I have a racing floor jack that extends beyond the normal range of most floor jacks, it could not get the car up high enough to slide a 12" cradles under the rear tires unless I also used a block on the jacking saddle. It is much easier/safer to just use the itself when the car is sitting on the ramps in the front while jacking the rear.

R

Race Ramps are MY personal favorite... that's why we now offer THESE:

http://www.shelbystore.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=ramps&Submit=Search

Jer

Just picked up a 2010 GT500 last weekend with 18k on it and I am doing some of the preventative maintenance, replaced air filter today next up is fuel filter.

I'm nearing 50k miles on my 2010 and I've been doing oil changes every 5k miles in addition to the scheduled maintenance. I haven't had any problems with the exception of replacing the one of the sensors in the left (I believe, may have been drivers side) fuel pump on two separate occasions. If you haven't already, I recommend buy a FRPP resonator eliminator and a dry Airaid filter for your Shelby. Congratulations on your excellent purchase and welcome to TeamShelby

For those with a 40th, I received the 67 inch set from Shelby

you will need the extenders as my 40th is too low and will not clear the ramps. I assume that would be true for the Super Snakes also. :)

I've got the 2-pc. 67" shown above, and my 2008 SuperSnake clears. My Eibach coil overs are lowered about as far as they will go......BUT, I do have 275/35's on the front instead of the shorter 255/35's.

I also have a KR splitter instead of my original SuperSnake splitter. The original SuperSnake splitter is shown in those pictures and it also cleared the 67". <<I don't think there is much difference ahead of the front tires in this ramp area between these two splitters.

It must be the overall tire height difference.........

If I remember correctly these ramps are also available in 72"? and a couple of other longer lengths?

R

Race Ramps are MY personal favorite... that's why we now offer THESE:

http://www.shelbystore.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=ramps&Submit=Search

Jer

I bought my Flatstoppers and Ramps just before these came out :doh: just how my luck always works lol.

Use my ramps all the time and love them. I wonder when I lower mine this spring I may have to get the extended ramps to clear mine. Just have to wait and see.

Archived