TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Center Guage Reviews?

I have the one that was installed with the 40th package. My only complaint would be that I would like to be able to change the light color. My speedo/tach and map lights are red, the cluster gauges are white. IMO they look and function great!

jbpg.jpg

I have the one that was installed with the 40th package. My only complaint would be that I would like to be able to change the light color. My speedo/tach and map lights are red, the cluster gauges are white. IMO they look and function great!

jbpg.jpg

Change the bulbs. Several have done this.

I had SAI install mine with the S/C as well. I changed out the bulbs for red. My complaint is not about how they work but, rather, the fit of the pod. Mine is terrible. I will have to do some major surgery on it someday when I have time. Candidly, if I had it to do it over, I would get A-pillar gauges.

Jim

Thanks for the replies. It seems that Shelby did the installs mostly.

If I get one, I'll be the monkey installing it.

Do you think it would be difficult for me to do considering I have

only basic skills and tools. I'm no serious mechanic.

Philip

I think if you do a search, there is a thread about the install by some members. I think there is some under dash work that may be tricky and or the fuel gauge block. Hopefully someone that did it will chime in.

jbpg.jpg

Clark,

I'd be interested in knowing how to change the bulbs if you wouldn't mind sharing

+ 1 on both posts....

Bulb change is simple IF your pod is mounted using the supplied velcro! Carefully lift the pod off the dash, locate the bulbs on the back of the gauges, and change away! You may have to replace the original velcro with new as the glue has a tendency to deteriorate over time.

Fitment of the pod is good, but not great - this is aftermarket, not factory, so you're not replacing the entire dash pad. (The A-pillar gauges I've seen replace the trim piece, so it looks factory)

Phillip - It's definitely a DIY if you have the skills to follow directions AND you're flexible enough to work upside-down under the dash! My biggest headache was finding the "white wire with the yellow tracer" in the mass of wires under the dash!

Some hints:

Some folks got the empty pod and added their own gauges - I got the complete pod with gauges installed and pre-wired.

Make sure you get the correct pod for your application, N/A versus Supercharged.

If you want a different bulb color, change them before installing the pod.

When sticking the pod to the dash, (even when using the supplied velcro), use a roll or two of paper towels between the pod and the windshield to wedge the pod to the dash and let it sit overnight to cure.

Get a second set of hands for fishing the wire through the firewall.

Sam

Simple. Unplug the bulb and replace with a LED bulb of your color choice. If you can change a light bulb you can change the gauge bulbs.

WOW Thanks!!! Did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

I guess since my pod is held on with the two sided tape it will be a PITA so I'll just leave it alone. I really wish the pod lights worked the same as the dash lights and changed colors with the lights. but oh well....

It is not a difficult install, it comes with detailed instructions.

HOWEVER, I don't recommend working with the fuel system if you are inexperienced. Not trying to scare you, but if you get the kit, read the directions and be sure you feel confident in your abilities before you begin.

Also, many people have done the install 90%, and just had a mechanic make the final connections to fuel, oil manifold, etc.

Jer

YES... the Relocation kit is a must.

Jer

I installed mine. It is a challange to work under the dash for that length of time to make it a neat clean install. Go with the LED bulbs. They work much better than the filliment bulbs with the supplied colored condoms. Auto Meter makes the LED bulbs but they can be purchaced elsewhere cheaper. The oil gauge adaptor installation can be messy due to the amount of oil that comes out of the old oil pressure system. Have a small catch container ready. A buddy with a lift would also be helpful. If you have time and patience on your side it will come out great. With our dash boards it fits nicely in the center. My kit came with Velcro to hold it on the dash. When you get closer to the install PM me or use the search feature there are a bunch of tips out there to make the install a pleasure.- Kevin

Summit Racing stocks the LED bulbs, I think their price was good, too.

Jer

I enjoyed the install. I did use a friends lift for the oil pressure adapter. The hardest part for me was picking out the white wire with the yellow stripe. Did get it first try. The gauge pod fit good. I also used a roll of paper towels between the windshield and the pod assembly to hold it in place over night.

I currently have a bulb out so I will be changing to Green more than likely, either that or blue, but I do like that the green matches the radio as well.

Mine is on with Velcro, it wore out after a few years and Tasca replaced it no charge when it did so, they put heavier duty Velcro on so I should be all set. I agree the fit is not perfect, but it does not bother me and I am a very picky person. Would I do them again, yes I would, I think they look great, it is almost like they were meant to be there.

i installed mine. i have to say the basic install is not hard. but, i tend to make things a little harder i think. I had some challenges with that fuel block leaking on me. and trying to get it Not to with out marking up..its fairly soft metal.

also when i was under the dash i accidentally clipped an extra wire..well.. i had to solder that back together. the oil block went on without a hitch or a mess for me. i have not changed out the bulbs but i might after reading that its rather easy. .. as long as i dont accidentally cut a fuel line doing it ill be fine :)

normal_100_8384.JPG

bigger image http://mcmahons.us/displayimage.php?pid=13676&fullsize=1

Changing the bulbs is VERY easy.

Jer

Look closely to see the blue LED glow...

Jer

SAI_8514.jpg

SAI_8521.jpg

SAI_8514.jpg

SAI_8521.jpg

Jer, have you updated your Registry entry with that mod :lol:

Looks very nice. Perhaps a SPP item in the future?

Steve

Steve, my mods might BREAK the Registry! LOL… But thanks for reminding me, I need to get in there and update it!

Jer

Archived