TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Upgrading From A '12 To A '14

ThomasL

How important is launch control, a 5.8, factory track pack with trans, oil and diff coolers, a carbon fiber drive shaft, cockpit adjustable shocks, wideband 02 sensors with real time afr among many other functions on an LCD display, stronger everything and superior cooling to handle 800hp without breaking, and then there's the quad exhaust and that stellar new rear end.

No disrespect to the previous gen as I love them all but they aren't the same car. SVT took the GT500 leaps and bounds forward with the 13. And seeing how this could very well be the last real GT500 we see, buy it, buy it now!

There is no doubt the '13 - '14 cars are superior performance machines. If I was not in love with the body style of my '09, I would trade for the '14. Those who bought the '10 - '12 cars do have a decision to make... at the end of the day, it is personal preference. Either way, you can't go wrong.

I have the opportunity to get exactly the '14 i would want. Already have a '12 lowered, tuned and pulley swap. Is it worth it to trade up on a 14?

Is your 12 paid for ?

If you can pay cash, then do it. No use going in debt for a toy !

If you can't part with the cash, then it was not meant to be. This is my debt free philosophy.

The '14's are great but really wanted a '12. I like the '12 tail lights better than the LED's but I think I might be in the minority. I guess it's all about "what trips your trigger".

Dont think i can resist. Looks like i'll be making the upgrade. Black w black stripes, track pack, recaros, electronics pkg. So pumped

I bought the same one sight unseen, and in person the flat black looks downright evil! Congrats!

I bought a 12 in Jan of 12. The salesman tried to convince me to just wait on the 13's but at the time I figured what could anybody possibly need with 662 HP. A little over a year and 1400 miles later I decided that I wanted that 662 HP.. I knew I was going to eat some depreciation and anguished for the near 6 months the 14 was on order if I was just stupid or if I had done the right thing. Believe me, it was the right thing. Maybe I am wrong but in a few years I think that depreciation I ate to get the 14 will be offset by the added value of the 662 HP 14 as compared to the 550 HP 12. Not that there's anything wrong with the 12. I loved that car but the 14 is on another level and it's all factory improvements which means something in my view.

I agree. Upgrading is the way to go if you can. We traded in an '11 GT500 with 12k for a '13 GT500 w 2,500 miles on it. The '13 has all the same whistles as the '11m, but with a couple of added bells. And the Track Apps and Extra 100+ horses is almost worth it alone.

I didn't consider the price difference all depreciation. About half was the use/enjoyement I (OK actually most of it was the wife!) got out of the '11. Also, if you have an '11 or '12 and want to upgrade something what would it be? A Bigger Supercharger for another 100 or so horses? No its got that. Better Brakes? No it's got those, too! Better mufflers? No it's got those.

So most of what you would be doing price difference, is already been done in the '13's & '14's. All I can say is they are AWESOME automobiles.

I agree. Upgrading is the way to go if you can. We traded in an '11 GT500 with 12k for a '13 GT500 w 2,500 miles on it. The '13 has all the same whistles as the '11m, but with a couple of added bells. And the Track Apps and Extra 100+ horses is almost worth it alone.

I didn't consider the price difference all depreciation. About half was the use/enjoyement I (OK actually most of it was the wife!) got out of the '11. Also, if you have an '11 or '12 and want to upgrade something what would it be? A Bigger Supercharger for another 100 or so horses? No its got that. Better Brakes? No it's got those, too! Better mufflers? No it's got those.

So most of what you would be doing price difference, is already been done in the '13's & '14's. All I can say is they are AWESOME automobiles.

+1

Its amazing what driving the 2013+ is like after driving the 2007-2009 cars. I never had the middle MY model, but I have an 08 and the 14, and it really does make the 08 feel tame compared to the 14.

I agree with Grabber, but taking on SOME debt to get this last chance heavy hitter might be worth breaking your habits for. The 2015+ will be great cars, but I think this chapter of performance and raw power is closed and wont come back from a major manufacturer. End of an Era will be marked with this example from Ford.

Archived