TEAM SHELBY FORUM

If You Could Do Only One Thing....

cormy

to improve the handling on a 2008 Gt500 - what would it be??

On occasional spirted blasts down the highway I get a bit scared at the lack of control I feel with the car.

Keep in mind I'm driving on PA roads ( poor condition ) which doesn't help.

I firmly believe that our Watts Link kits are the most "night and day difference" modification for all current Mustangs. It radically improves the car's predictability, really buttons up the steering feel, and plants the car on the road, especially on rough or uneven pavement. It sounds like you want to improve your confidence in the car, and the Watts Link did that for me. Call or email me anytime with questions.

Jer

One thing to improve handling?

One word: shocks.

Stock shocks on the 2007-2009 were not good. A big improvement can be had very cheaply by switching to the KR shock/spring kit. Just the KR shocks are a big improvement over the regular Mustang stuff, but the increased spring rate of the KR bits are another +.

I too have a 2008 GT500, and live in PA (yeah, some of the roads leave a little to be desired in terms of 'maintenance').

I also wanted to improve the handling of my car. It was fast as stink in a straight line, but couldn't turn worth a $#!^. It inspired no confidence that it would actually take a hard corner versus end up in a ditch.

I installed an Eibach Pro System Plus. It included struts, shocks, springs, sway bars and bushings. At the same time I also did upper and lower rear control arms, heavy duty upper control arm mounting bracket, and an adjustable panhard bar.

The Eibach kit made the car corner much better, and my confidence that the car would now actually go the direction it was pointed, increased dramatically. I could now push the car into a turn much harder than I ever dared before. The upper/lower control arms eliminated the rear axle hop, and kept the rear tires planted. I still can break them loose, but now they just spin, not hop, and it's much easier to control.

I did all the work myself (with a little help from Mrs. Z) in the garage over my Christmas vacation from work. Worked a little each day, took my time, made sure I was working safe, and enjoyed my time with the car. You really get to know your car when you work on it yourself.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Z-man

Sounds like some work needs to be done. Really want to correct the feeling of going over a bump in the road at higher speeds and feeling the car is going to end up into the next lane or into the median...

Would the KR shocks & springs lower the car from its current height?

Sounds like some work needs to be done. Really want to correct the feeling of going over a bump in the road at higher speeds and feeling the car is going to end up into the next lane or into the median...

Would the KR shocks & springs lower the car from its current height?

Yup; the KR sits a little lower than the standard GT500, but not all that much. I'm sure a forum search will tell you just how much, but I'd guess it's around an inch, or so.

As Z-man has mentioned above, it really is fun to do yourself. I set up my Bullitt with GT500 strut mounts, Vogtland springs, Koni yellow shocks, adjustable poly-end panhard bar and some Hotchkis anti-sway bars. Big difference, but the Konis probably were the most important part; the stock Bullitt shocks were just crap.

4107178234_58835900ff_b.jpg

Sorry; couldn't resist adding a picture of the Bullitt. :)

I know you said "one thing", but some people do their suspension upgrades in phases, one change/upgrade at a time. I do have a billet Watts Link but have not installed it yet. Here is what I have done so far and it has made a Great improvement to my 2008, I can't wait to also install the Fays2.

A couple of items that have improved my cars overall "plant" in the rear are the Lower Control Arms (LCA's) and the Upper Control Arm and mount (UCA and UCM)..........

All of the oem rubber bushing mounting points were in my car when it came back from Las Vegas, and since that time I have been working on upgrades to the marshmellow rubber bushings without adding a bunch of NVH. So far the LCA's have done what I want and I am now working on the UCA.

The oem LCA on (top) below and the CS LCA's (I believe the solid LCA shown in the middle has been discontinued), and the current CS LCA on the bottom that I installed on my car..............

0052.jpg

The UCA assortment that I have installed and then upgraded on my car, shown below with side-by-side comparisons

First the oem 2008 UCA, then the CS/BMR 2007-2010 poly UCA and UCM, then the 2011-up oem UCA and finally what is installed on my car now, the 2011-up CS/BMR UCA and UCM.

Top side comparison............

030_zpsf0ac6e70.jpg

Bottom side comparison...........

029_zpsd5c269ed.jpg

^^^^As shown above Ford made many changes to the UCA for the 2011-up both in larger hardware mounting and arm length.....................there was a reason why they upgraded the Mustang UCA to this much more robust design.

I have not driven my car since the 2011-up poly UCA install, but it is in place and ready to go, I just need to get the car out and drive it. <<<Children and Christmas..............always busy!!

Stay tuned................

R

bought the last set of KR shocks/springs. At that price I figured I couldn't go wrong. I was watching them waiting to hear from you guys on the improvement they would make. But I figured I better get them while they lasted.

I think you're going to like 'em. Not harsh riding, and a tad lower than standard GT500. Much better damped, too. :)

Anyone compare the ride and handling of the KR kit with the Eibach Pro Street S coilovers they use on the Super Snakes?

I like the Eibach Pro Street S set up on my car. I also know that all S197 Eibach Pro Street S kits are not the same, but "could" be listed as Super Snake, so you have to know what kit you are buying.

Front example............Notice the spring on the left has a larger coil diameter than the coil on the right spring.

003_zps91faa054.jpg

001_zps67001753.jpg

002_zps21985d1d.jpg

The Rear springs.............

004_zps9fd54aa3.jpg

^^^^And they are different diameter coils also.

Both of these kit were sold as "Super Snake" Eibach Pro Street S coil over kits, but these two kits will not perform the same.

R

There are lots of good suggestions here.

But did anyone mention tires? Tires are an incredibly important part of the equation.

And based on the OP's first post, I don't think you necessarily have to have the stickiest track tires available. Lots of great choices out there.

I would shy away from the rubber band profiles as well. A little sidewall on a high performance tire keeps the ride supple for the times you are not pushing the car.

JMO.

Hmmm, I ordered the Pro Street S kit from Shelby Performance and installed it on my '09, not sure which one I received as I didn't know there was a difference. Website says 35101.711

The larger diameter 35115 part number springs are what was installed on my 2008 Super Snake in Las Vegas. You would have to take a look at the springs and see what part number is on them front and rear.

R

Archived