TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Soon To Be New Owner.

Ablaze

Hey everyone. I'm in the process of selling off my 2010 GT to purchase a 2014 GT500. I've started doing a tremendous amount of research. Just a few questions regarding some hard street driving.

Will I gain any performance (handling, traction) by moving up 10mm front and back with my tires? 275/40/19 and 295/35/20. I'm looking at Michelin Pilot Sport A/S-3 in the stock setup or MPSS in 275/295 otherwise. Currently 275/40/19 all around and love it on my Cooper RS3-As. I want to change out the Goodyear rubber as soon as I pickup the car.

I'll be purchasing the M-5300-L springs with a panhard bar to go on as well. Will I need to do like the GTs and go full on relocation brackets, LCA, adjustable UCA to fix any possible problems with my control arms being angled wrong or pinion angle being off? I don't want to incur any traction issues or anymore rear end whine I hear some already have.. I was at least going to go with relocation brackets.

Depends on what you mean improve performance. The 275F and 295R will look more like the tires that should be on the car (although I kept the same size fronts but bumped the rear MPSS's to 295). I am not convinced I gained any handling whatsoever in fact the GY's felt harder/tighter but all around driving in various temps are better. From my limited experience with the GY's and reading the forums for 18 mths the GY's are very good track tires but only in their "sweet spot" say 70-90 degrees and properly heated.

Also, do not expect that by sizing up or even getting the MPSS or the A/S version that you are going to get straight line traction - you won't likely unless you heat these up a bit or are at a prepped track.

I did some mods to my car, but I stuck with a stock setup for a couple months in case there were any warranty issues for a bad part.

If you do suspension right away, and you end up with the rear end whine or such, suspension upgrades probably will void your warranty.for tires, the Michelin all seasons won't give you an improvement. The pilot super sports will. Don't go wider in the front. Just the back.

Good luck!

Personally I would take the car to your nearest road course and go wear out those Goodyear's rather than just take them off the car immediately. This will kill a few birds with one stone:

1. You will become very familiar with how the car performs under a stock setup and gain a greater understanding of what "needs" to be modified to suit your driving skills/goals for the car.
  2. If your 2010 GT is not heavily modified you are stepping up tremendously in HP. Since you are looking to drive the car aggressively for street performance, you can expect to make mistakes (all bravado aside: just realize it will happen at some point) and better to do so in an enclosed environment so you will gain experience with the car and learn how sensitive the driver input needs to be. Last thing you want to do is go out with a new Shelby and wad it up.
  3. You'll have a reason to go get new tires other than just getting rid of the tires you don't want to keep.

To answer your question, I do think you'll enjoy having slightly wider tires on the car albeit the difference is not very noticeable. There are many modifications you can make to suspension, cooling and brakes. The best way to determine what you need is to learn the car as it rolls off the showroom before making any changes and then enjoy each change moving forward.

+1 on not using all season tires. I do however really like the Michelin's on my car.

I'll wait to take it out to the Fedex center and practice first so I can make my mistakes, learn my limits, and get an idea of how it handles with the Goodyears as suggested. I had gotten back a lot of great feedback for the A/S-3s but apparently I need to look further into the MPSS and perhaps set the A/S-3s aside for cooler weather (I won't be driving in the snow/ice).

Archived