TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Team Shelby Members On Track Racing Photos

Kevin Patten

Here's a place to post pics of your Shelby on the race track ( autocross , road race , drag race , open track , etc....) .

Cool. I'll have to dig several of mine out and post them.

By the way, I love your new profile pic. Dropping down the corkscrew at Laguna Seca! I swear it looks as though you are falling off the side of a cliff in that pic.

Mark

Here's a place to post pics of your Shelby on the race track ( autocross , road race , drag race , open track , etc....) .

attachicon.gifpost-37474-0-22581500-1385910603.jpgattachicon.gifEV0G7717.jpgattachicon.gifEV0G7357.jpgattachicon.gifEV0G6852.jpgattachicon.gifEV0G6892.jpgattachicon.gifEV0G7281.jpg attachicon.gifJJS_6709.jpg

Great thread KP!!! :clapping::shift:

Ok, i'll play too...

At Sears Point

MU0X6141.jpg

On the Corkscrew....

KR_Corkscrew_zpse2c7d8ae.jpg

Another Laguna pic

Boss_Tom.jpg

And the grand daddy of them all, Karussell corner @ the NURBURGRING!

Karussell.jpg

Edited by Cali_KR

I hate all of you! ( Just Kidding ) This is a great topic, but unfortunately, I cannot play. At least not yet. My dream is to have my 65 track worthy one day. So keep the pictures coming. Love these track pictures. MM, what can I say, your car always looks awesome out there. Oh, and your an ok driver, too! :hysterical: "Go Cali, Go Cali..." Tom, your KR rocks. Heck, all of you guys rock on this thread!

Qualcomm Stadium (current embodiment)

8633456474_ba8f04effd_o.jpg

Photo by Larry Houghton

Chuckwalla Valley Raceway (in a previous life):

11245503114_29be2c0382_b.jpg

Photo by Caliphotography

Riverside International Raceway (farther back)

9146947352_80c382c960_o.jpg

Photo by Dick Bame

Ontario Motor Speedway (an even more previous life):

9144726267_7c798c612b_o.jpg

Photo by Trackside Pro (I have lost track of the photographer's name)

Playas de Tijuana "Bullring-by-the-Sea" course (still even yet more previous):

706545813_c841459394_o.jpg

Photo by Vern Jaques

Riverside International Raceway (same previous era):

standard.jpg

Photo by Bill Bean

Willow Springs (when Willow was only "Big"; not quite on course: rolling start of a three-hour enduro is beginning) :

orig.jpg

Photo by Larry Crumb

Holtville Aerodrome International Raceway (H.A.I.R) (this is about as far back as I can document; 1968 or so)

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Photographer must have been part of my entourage)

Edited by Frank S

Qualcomm Stadium (current embodiment)

8633456474_ba8f04effd_o.jpg

Photo by Larry Houghton

Chuckwalla Valley Raceway (in a previous life):

11245503114_29be2c0382_b.jpg

Photo by Caliphotography

Riverside International Raceway (farther back)

9146947352_80c382c960_o.jpg

Photo by Dick Bame

Ontario Motor Speedway (an even more previous life):

9144726267_7c798c612b_o.jpg

Photo by Trackside Pro (I have lost track of the photographer's name)

Playas de Tijuana "Bullring-by-the-Sea" course (still even yet more previous):

mgbtjrr3.jpg

Photo by Vern Jaques

Riverside International Raceway (same previous era):

mgrir02.jpg

Photo by Bill Bean

Willow Springs (when Willow was only "Big"; not quite on course: rolling start of a three-hour enduro is beginning) :

orig.jpg

Photo by Larry Crumb

Holtville Aerodrome International Raceway (H.A.I.R) (this is about as far back as I can document; 1968 or so)

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Photographer must have been part of my entourage)

Great shots, love the old B&W, a time when real skill was required to get these shots. :salute:

Great shots, love the old B&W, a time when real skill was required to get these shots. :salute:

Yes, the guys who make the shots inspired me to pay a lot more attention to photography. I'm grateful to them for these shareable moments in time.

One more I had forgotten: Carlsbad Raceway, by Rick LaZelle. Rick must have been using a filter that turned the Oh-So-Medium-Blue MG this dark color, and the fluorescent pink chin to white.

mgcarlso.jpg

And one more of Larry Crumb's efforts, this time at Holtville:

orig.jpg

The first really race-able car I had, my 1953 MG TD. Never any formal on-track time, but many happy hours on the roads around Big Bear and Lake Arrowhead. Well-graded twisty roads there allowed you to set up and maintain long four-wheel drifts with fifty horsepower at thirty-five miles per hour.

orig.jpg

Edited by Frank S

Frank , those shots are awesome ! Makes me want to pull out some oldies myself ( but I only go back to 1974 with racing in NorCal ) and tell somes stories . A Vega and a Vega wagon - Oh my gosh Frank - too much -and I might add + a 67 Shelby behind you in the one pic is priceless !

Frank, those shots are freaking incredible. Riverside, Ontario and Carlsbad, names I haven't heard in a while. :worship:

I especially love the roll-over protection in the MG (drivers head above rollbar) and the big crease in the sheet metal behind the right front tire. Good stuff.........

Mark

Frank, those shots are freaking incredible. Riverside, Ontario and Carlsbad, names I haven't heard in a while. :worship:

I especially love the roll-over protection in the MG (drivers head above rollbar) and the big crease in the sheet metal behind the right front tire. Good stuff.........

Mark

Thank you for the kudos, Mark (and y'others).

The roll-bar height was the determining factor in my quitting SCCA racing: I entered Regional races to be held as support for the 1969 Trans-Am at Riverside. At tech it was all OK until the last step: "Buckle yourself in and push hard on the brakes". I needed three inches, which I could have gotten by cutting the seat-cushion or raising the rollover bar, either of which would have ruined the close-to-stock Daily Driver-ness of the car. I returned to work as a flagman for the weekend.

The sheet-metal wrinkle was generated after I tried to pass a racier car at the entrance to Old Turn Nine at RIR. Either I did it wrong or I hit a patch of oil, but I did a right 90, a left 180, and a right 180 that ended up with the rear corner against the outside boilerplate wall. I still don't understand how smacking the right rear corner resulted in a buckled front fender. I went right back on track and the only problem was flat-spotted and intermittently slippery tires from all the Goodyear smoke generated by my whoopty-doos.

The '67 Mustang was acres faster than me, on the straights. Very few of the cars at these Solo One events could keep up or pull away from the Vega(s) in curves or esses. A highlight of my career was to overhear a couple of Corvette drivers in the OMS paddock: "There I was, balls-out in the esses and I looked in the mirror and saw that damn' Vega catching up and blinking his lights to pass!"

I guess one more highlight won't hurt: during qualifying for the IMSA little-sedan race at Riverside, 1975, the Levis Gremlins were doing their qualifying-train thing, and on one lap they came up on me at the entrance of New Turn Nine. They had a forty-mile-per-hour advantage, top-speed-wise, and my Vega Coupe could go all the way from Turn Eight to Turn Six without lifting. The Gremlins passed me but had to slow a bit in the more-than-180-degree turn, and I caught them up well before the late apex. If I'd had just a bit more than my hundred horses I'd have passed them at the start line.

Here's qualifying/grid (I was DNS for legal reasons) :

30837191001_211ca7865f_b.jpg

Wonderful stuff for me. Love to rerun these mental movies.

Frames from an 8mm in-car film from the Vega Wagon at Old Tijuana Airport, 1972. Never did see any photos from this event. There is access to similar experiences at some other tracks, from links at the top of the page.

Edited by Frank S