TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Suspension Upgrades

07SGT5111

So as we all know Shelby added some nice suspension upgrades from Ford racing but im craving more. Just curious what others have done to improve on this already great platform. I was thinking upper and lower control arms and maybe some subframe connectors (probably not full length because added weight=no fun) . What would be a good route to go for a car that will be on the road.

I'd skip the subframe connectors, maybe later. A Watts link is absolutely my biggest suspension recommendation:

http://www.shelbystore.com/Watts-Link-RED-p/s197.htm

or

http://www.shelbystore.com/Shelby-Watts-Link-p/s197-sb-coupe.htm

Upper and lower control arms are good to do while you'll be working back there, but the Watts will make the big difference:

Upper: http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/z25-s5ma-3075.htm

Mount for Upper: http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/www.shelbystore.com/product-p/z25-s11ma-3074-mnt.htm

Lower: http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/z-aca004.htm

Also, as soon as you change the upper control arm, you will notice the difference in noise, so be ready for that.

Also not a bad time to do a gear change, if that's in your plans.

The front suspension on SGTs is already very capable, you'll do a few more mods before changing anything up front, I'd estimate. Save that for when you upgrade all 4 corners with an Eibach Pro-Street S setup, if you even need to.

Just a few suggestions!

Jer

You should check out Shelby Performance Parts - I'd suggest starting off with their rear LCAs and watts linkage setup to get going .

I would add to this the UCA. I have Metco products (made in the USA) for the control arms and the Fays2 Watts Link.

Jim

you know I never really heard much about watts link before today. I am very interested. can you explain to me the difference with and without?

In the 60's, the Mustangs had a similar rear suspension (similar in that it was not IRS). Back then (I had a '66 fastback) we used what were called traction bars to make the rear suspension behave somewhat better. The Watts Link is much more sophisticated than our traction bars. Here is a write up on them that will give you the lowdown on its history and how it works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watt's_linkage

Jim

Jer

What noise are you referring to after changing UCA? I have Eibach on the corners, but stock UCA and LCA on my 500. I have been considering upgrading both. The car makes plenty of suspension noise Now IMO, don't think I want more. Just used for short weekend drives, never tracked.

Jer once told me that they call the UCA the "tuning fork" since it transmits tons of road noise & vibration into the vehicle (NVH) once you do the upgrade.

I'm sure Jer and others can give you more details.

Andy.

Jer once told me that they call the UCA the "tuning fork" since it transmits tons of road noise & vibration into the vehicle (NVH) once you do the upgrade.

I'm sure Jer and others can give you more details.

Andy.

Yup!

Driving my SGT today after many weeks in my Focus ST, it's amazing how much I can hear the rear diff, rear brake rotors, EVERYTHING… the car drives great, but it is night and day compared to a stock SGT.

Jer

Exactly why I left the stock UCA on the car. LCA's, Watts link, springs, sway bars all made a huge difference. The stock dampers work just fine for now and there is not much more road noise than stock. However, that would all change drastically by changing out the UCA. No thanks... If I ever get a purpose built track car then absolutely, but not for the street.

I think it means "Noise, Vibration, & Harshness". I believe the harshness part is how rough the road feels to the driver & passenger. I figure noise and vibration are pretty straight forward.

Car manufacturers do some crazy things just to reduce NVH that may not even be performance oriented...like adding weight to something just to dampen the NVH. Our Panhard Bars contained BB pellets just for the purpose of reducing NVH from what I've been told.

N = NOISE

V = VIBRATION

H = HARMONICS

Jer

Andy and I posted a few seconds apart there. I have heard "harmonics" and "harshness" interchanged over the years. Andy's is probably the more "accepted" term. I'm used to mine because I'm a musician/sound geek… LOL

Jer

.....and because the sound your SGT makes going down the road is Music to ANYONE'S ears!!

Yes, we do all own very nice musical instruments… LOL

Jer

well after much consideration and research I do want the Watts link...however it may have to wait awhile since im moving into a place that has a garage...for obvious reasons. but for a temporary fix might be doing LCA's. i'm looking at the Shelby Brandon with the "CS" logo on them. anyone have these? are the relocation brackets a must have? and could you tell a difference?

well I will get them regardless I am sure. from what i've read they are necessary for lowered cars and these came from the factory lowered.

I just picked up my SGT today with the new SPP Fays2 Watts Link.

Initial review - It does feel better planted, and really didn't notice any added road noise. However, when you hit a bump now, you feel it about 2 or 3 times as hard in the rear....Is that normal expectation?

The first time it did it I thought maybe I hit something, but then realized quickly it was all from the suspension.

Thanks,

Andy.

Archived