TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby American Registry, When?

Carl Bishop

Shelby Registry  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use an online registry for the modern Shelby's if it was made available?

• Yes
    • No

I though I'd start a new thread on this subject since I haven't seen any new updates for months. This is the main reason for not maintaining my TS membership.

Does SA ever plan on making the registry available to owners? SGT/KR production has been completed for almost 5 years now, its hard to believe the data still hasn't been compiled.

I wish SA would just make a statement if the database will ever be available to the public vs. the "we're' still working on it" BS that has been feed everyone for the last several years. I remember when visiting SA in July last year Roger said it was close to completion, I guess not.....

I'm sure a straight answer would be appreciated by many owners.

+1111111111111111111 Dave Sheppard has done a great job collecting information as it becomes available on the 08-09 KR's but it sure would be nice to see a official publication from SA. I have one for my 66 K-code. The K Code registry also publishes a complete history of the K-code which adds to the mystic. It helps the owner define his or her car. This is updated every few years. I feel this also adds value to the car as well. Win Win Win!!

What do you want to know? Seems early to be getting caught up in registry concerns. At what point did the original registry even become relevant? 10 years? It started in 1975, but when did it even matter? 1980?

At any rate, im sure we will get access to it one day.

Since I'm not an owner of a Classic Shelby, I really don't care about how the original registry was released, that was 40 years ago. I would hope the new registry would be a secure searchable online database that provided information on each pre-title Shelby built from 2005 through 2009 with the exception of owners personal information (name, street address and VIN). I was hoping it would be available for me to use by now not when my grandchildren own the car.

I'm really tired of folks making excuses for SA, because there is no excuse, none. I'm sure there are members on this forum that have professional database experience and would have gladly lend a hand to help put together a secure web based tool years ago, this isn't rocket science. Most if not all the data was captured in the original OASIS database and needs to be married to the data provided by owners from the online registry. Then whatever data such as post-title modifications are required or missing from the Shelby Mod Shops and such could be filled in later. No need for that information at the GA version of TS Registry 1.0.

It would be great if Jer or someone that actually works for SA would chime in......

Personally, I think a Registry (Book) would be cooler than a Database. I have a 1997 SAAC Registry and I don't think I will ever be able to own a 1965-70 Shelby but, it sure is cool to pull out the Book and go thru it, looking up things and comparing the Cars. It is a whole different feeling when your going thru a Registry BOOK then it is going thru a Database.

I think an actual book is an old school way of thinking and maybe that's whats holding back the release?

By having an online database would NOT require for it to be 100% accurate before launching the tool like would be required if you were publishing a book. It could have been released in phases as data was compiled and completed for each version of different vehicles; for example the first release could have started with the 500 2006 SGT-H's, the next would be to add the 2007 SGT's and so fourth, if this method was implemented 3 or 4 years ago it would have been finished by now.

This is how things are done in the real world, spread the workload by enlisting TS members to help sort through the data. Then it can be kept up to date and accurate; daily, weekly or monthly however SA chose to. Not how SAAC does it by publishing a hard copy every few years charging hundreds of dollars for something that's outdated by the time its published.

I am generally optimistic except on the registry and agree however the info is being tracked, it would be nice to see something in an xl spread sheet on the various models that we could log into on a computer. I don't see anything very top secret about it. You have to have a will to make a project happen and the drive to put some resources behind it.

Build Info would be a start and not worry about modifications etc. Just my two cents............... GG

O8SGT1234, please read this that was posted by SAI - do not question management, do not bring up any matter that may inflame management, management will ask the questions and answer them (when and if they so choose) management is God - period. Thank you, in advance, for your conforming to these policies -

-----------------

"The intent and spirit of Team Shelby is, and has always been, to inspire and promote enthusiasm for Carroll Shelby’s legacy and automotive creations. We are fortunate to have a loyal user base that regularly post and visit, and we all enjoy a site that contains such useful contributions as tech articles and reviews, parts installation threads, event announcements, and many other items of value to the Shelby user community.

Where we always strive to differ from the average Internet forum is in our behavior and overall approachability. We believe that, unlike many other enthusiast Internet forums, Team Shelby has historically been a “safe haven” for the new user, an avenue to find information and share the passion, without being treated as a “newbie”, an environment where personal attacks and negativity are not tolerated. Our rules and enforcement have been deliberately forgiving, as we believe in our user base to self-monitor the tone of the discussions here. We are proud to be able to have an extremely relaxed environment with VERY LITTLE corporate involvement or interference on SA’s part. However, we feel the need to restate to everyone that we DO require adherence to the official Terms Of Service every user agrees to when first registering for this site:

http://www.teamshelb...tion=boardrules

We also would like to remind everyone that this site is the property of Shelby American, and members are expected to conduct themselves in a manner that respects our contribution. Shelby American, as the sole owner and operator of this site, reserves the right to remove all posts that disparage or defame SAI, CSL, CSI, and/or any officer, director, management, or staff. While we understand that users may have a need to communicate negative information to SA, we feel that warrants a direct communication with our company, as opposed to public posting.

It is important to follow these guidelines so we can maintain and build our community, and keep Carroll’s original intentions for Team Shelby intact: an encouraging, thoughtful, fun group for people who want to celebrate great history, fast cars, and build relationships with their fellow enthusiasts.

Thank you all for your continued support.

I didnt take any offense to it Stephen, but thank you. 08SGT1234, I asked if there was something specific you wanted to know because maybe that would be possible. At one time I was a registrar, but when we started up the regions, I gave that up to be a director. The original plan was to have volumes released, and online search options as well. I don't know if that has changed though. That said, the original number of Shelby's and different builds were much easier to compile. For 2006+, there have got to be close to 100k builds. Then all the different shops that did conversions...its a complicated task. Im glad its not me stuck with that job!

I see the challenge on volume and time needed alone to do this. If a registry is just kept to Shelby CSM vehicles that were processed at SA and designated affiliates, that alone would be a grand job from scratch. Full production numbers on each series of Shelby Mustangs is not fully known yet as some Ford vehicles continue to have post-title conversions. I am sure there are quite a few Ford Shelby GT500 owners that would love a database record as well, but with over 45,000 cars from 2007 to current models, it is a monumental task. Who has got the time. Is someone volunteering to do all this or going to fund the program for SA to do?

SAAC registrars are constantly updating information. I like a hard copy reference book such as the World Registries that is now up to three volumes of expert detail on the variety of classic Shelby Ford vehicles. But if anything is learned from their challenges, with all the changes in production, personnel and factory history, the sooner the details are recorded the better. Rounding up employees from just a few years ago and rummaging through old documents only gets more tedious as the years pass.

I wish anyone luck attempting this venture. It is more than just logging a Ford VIN from a Mustang or other vehicle and confirming the CSM number assignment. The recording of production changes (example, the supplier of brakes on the GT350), owners (if they are willing to have their names known) and other history is a long process.

:cool:

I see the challenge on volume and time needed alone to do this. If a registry is just kept to Shelby CSM vehicles that were processed at SA and designated affiliates, that alone would be a grand job from scratch. Full production numbers on each series of Shelby Mustangs is not fully known yet as some Ford vehicles continue to have post-title conversions. I am sure there are quite a few Ford Shelby GT500 owners that would love a database record as well, but with over 45,000 cars from 2007 to current models, it is a monumental task. Who has got the time. Is someone volunteering to do all this or going to fund the program for SA to do?

SAAC registrars are constantly updating information. I like a hard copy reference book such as the World Registries that is now up to three volumes of expert detail on the variety of classic Shelby Ford vehicles. But if anything is learned from their challenges, with all the changes in production, personnel and factory history, the sooner the details are recorded the better. Rounding up employees from just a few years ago and rummaging through old documents only gets more tedious as the years pass.

I wish anyone luck attempting this venture. It is more than just logging a Ford VIN from a Mustang or other vehicle and confirming the CSM number assignment. The recording of production changes (example, the supplier of brakes on the GT350), owners (if they are willing to have their names known) and other history is a long process.

:cool:

Couldn't have said it any better! Spot on.

Google can't help you with that one...

There is also at least one problem in having all the data- Quantum Performance went bankrupt and equipment and computers and files were all sold. I tried to buy a lot of it, but the bank had it moved to a 3rd party liquidator before I even had a chance to try. Im not sure how much of that info may have been lost from that source, but keep in mind, just because the data may not be there now, doesnt mean it cant be added from owner sources and diligent registrars. We just need to be patient and understand that this is a process that will likely never stop revising.

Besides, I just dont see the importance of specific information WE can get from the registry. As long as your car is in it, isnt that all that matters?

My 2014 GT500 is one of 28 coupes and 8 convertibles made in DIB/Red stripes. That information wont be official until next spring from SVT, but what does it matter now or then other than just having for conversation sake? But some folks want to know those types of things, like tracking baseball stats, its just in the blood- I get it. Just dont get caught up in the stats and lose the real reason you buy these cars- to enjoy!

I think the sentiment of 08SGT1234 is felt by many SGT owners! We're not talking about cars built at Quantum, or any other MOD shop. We're talking the basics of the SGT builds of which we're intitally built at Ford with certain options, then SA.

As an example, it would be interesting to know how many 07 SGT's we're Black Manual, Satin Silver UIP, Active Alarm, Shaker 1000, Sat, wheel locks. As well as how many White, Manual, charcoal IUP, NAV, Sat, wheel locks.

GT-500 owners can get detailed info such as the info Dubbs has on his vehicle from FORD.

I think a database, that would be accessible, would be far preferable to a book. The book cannot be updated and will be out of date immediately.

I think I know why the database is not being currently worked on and why it is taking so long. Out of the goodness of their heart SA offered, three years ago, to build the obamacare website. They will get back to the Shelbys when they finish the obamacare site, in about 10 years.

The SAAC book is a legacy. Where else are you going to find a history of ownership from the day the car was born until <they decided privacy mattered>? All of the modern Shelby cars were born in the day of identity theft. I certainly wouldn't want the history of ownership (even if obscured, because that can be reverse engineered). If you're looking for "my Shelby GT with black Barrett Jackson with automatic transmission convertible is 1 of 11", that's OK, but I think that info is already published.

I remember hearing that the new Shelby Registry was going to be ready in a few months... That was 2 maybe 3 years ago so I understand and share in the negative feelings on the matter. A published book, a web site, something would be nice to see eventually developed. I would think that Shelby would want this for the fans who have waited faithfully and patiently as it's another way to celebrate ownership and in turn create and protect the brand equity of Shelby American. Shelby makes a cool product. They always have. The old man did all the crazy and difficult things to make himself and the brand a legend. The organization, "the business structure and management" has always lacked and fallen short of it's reach. I love the product anyways. -Go figure?

The SAAC book is a legacy. Where else are you going to find a history of ownership from the day the car was born until <they decided privacy mattered>?

I agree, the SAAC book IS A LEGEACY and it's an incredible compilation. The first significant SAAC registry publication was in 1982. So the first decent publication was 17 years after the first 65 GT350's hit the road. 17 YEARS!!!!!!! And the only reason this registry actually saw the light of day was due to some very fanatical and enthusiastic owners. Most of these enthusiast still run SAAC and they were the people who spear headed, not only the registry, but the SAAC club as it exists today.

The second registry was in 1987.

The third registry was in 1997.

The fourth registry, volume 1, was in 2008 (this covered Cobras and GT40's)

The fourth registry, volume 2, was in 2011 (this covers 1965 to 1967 Shelby's)

The fourth registry, volume 3 has not been released yet. I think it is due out in 2014 and it will include my 68 GT500. I can hardly wait.

My point is that it not only takes time to put one of these together (17 years after the first 1965 came out) but it also takes the commitment of fanatical enthusiasts (and they are a group of great people). I really don't think that we will ever see a registry for the new generation of Shelby's. As DubbsFaris stated, there has probably been 100k builds since 2006. The Shelby builds from 1965 to 1970 were just over 10k and it took 17 years to see a registry. You need some massive commitment to get one of these together and it takes allot of free time by fanatical enthusiasts.

I'm sorry, I just don't see SAI paying a large group of people wages over a long period of time to compile a registry. So that leaves the fanatical enthusiast to put in months and years of free time to get one together.

Anyone want to step up? There's only 100k cars to document.

QSS

With the Book, I can Buy one and have fun researching the different Cars and I will be able to tell if the one I am looking at is a Fake just by checking the Book. You all keep talking about having a Database that only the Shelby Owners can access. Big difference.

I think the sentiment of 08SGT1234 is felt by many SGT owners! We're not talking about cars built at Quantum, or any other MOD shop. We're talking the basics of the SGT builds of which we're intitally built at Ford with certain options, then SA.

As an example, it would be interesting to know how many 07 SGT's we're Black Manual, Satin Silver UIP, Active Alarm, Shaker 1000, Sat, wheel locks. As well as how many White, Manual, charcoal IUP, NAV, Sat, wheel locks.

GT-500 owners can get detailed info such as the info Dubbs has on his vehicle from FORD.

The base FORD build info on the SGT's isn't available to us from FORD as SA won't allow it.

This doesn't even touch on the "coming soon" that has been coming out of many SA personnel since at least 2008!

Makes one wonder if they still have the data?

Thanks Scott......

I couldn't have said it better.

I think 08SGT1234 has a valid point. SA made the commitment to have an Internet-accessable registry available...

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/78211-shelby-registry/

Seems reasonable to ask for a status update...

avidShelby, thank you for digging up that thread, it looks like Hertz705 asked the same question back 13 months ago! And Steve replied with the standard issue, we're working on it....

"Not currently but Shelby American does have plans for that to happen. Owner privacy issues are one of the hurdles we must overcome which should be resolved with new registry software that is being worked on as we speak. SAI has an obligation to protect sensitive material, like owners personal info, so we can not just grant access to the registry database until this new registry software is rolled out.

We appreciate your interest and are working to make this happen ASAP.

Steve

Edited by shelbymotorsports, 06 November 2012 - 10:27 AM."

(Sorry Steve :sneaking:)

And I don't know why y'all keep bringing up a book? That was never the intent for the TS/SAI registry based on what Amy committed to back in 2008.

And where does that 100K number keep coming from? To be honest with you, in my selfish way, I'm only concerned with the cars that went through Vegas pre-title conversions (SGT-H, SGT & KR) first, then post-title conversions (SS, 40th, SE, Terlingula, Purdhomme, GT350, GTS, F150, Focus, Raptor and new SGT). So what are we talking about, around 11K cars?

Dubbis, to reply to one of your statements concerning the 'lost' records from the Quantum bankruptcy, I would ask the question, why didn't SA have their own detailed records of cars that were either in process or completed for one of THEIR Mod Shops? Or are you making an assumption that SA does not have those records?? Lets say the records are lost, that should mean the rest of the owners should have to wait until those records are found? An online database should be a living document which can be updated as data becomes available. I truly don't understand this all or nothing mentality some have.

All I'm looking for is an honest answer, yes they'll have the online database that was committed to years ago (this time with a date) or no they will not for whatever reason. Just a simple honest answer, not 'we're working on it and it will be available real soon'.

I'm going to put a reminder to myself on my calendar to check back in December of 2014 to see if its ready. :whistling:

I'm sure I wont be the last owner to ask this question.........

One consideration is that if you issue the data periodically in book form, there is a way to recoup the costs of providing the information. And there is always the possibility of offering a TS discount. Advance orders would help get an idea of what amount needs to be published.

And I don't know why y'all keep bringing up a book? That was never the intent for the TS/SAI registry based on what Amy committed to back in 2008.

And where does that 100K number keep coming from? To be honest with you, in my selfish way, I'm only concerned with the cars that went through Vegas pre-title conversions (SGT-H, SGT & KR) first, then post-title conversions (SS, 40th, SE, Terlingula, Purdhomme, GT350, GTS, F150, Focus, Raptor and new SGT). So what are we talking about, around 11K cars?

Dubbis, to reply to one of your statements concerning the 'lost' records from the Quantum bankruptcy, I would ask the question, why didn't SA have their own detailed records of cars that were either in process or completed for one of THEIR Mod Shops? Or are you making an assumption that SA does not have those records?? Lets say the records are lost, that should mean the rest of the owners should have to wait until those records are found? An online database should be a living document which can be updated as data becomes available. I truly don't understand this all or nothing mentality some have.

All I'm looking for is an honest answer, yes they'll have the online database that was committed to years ago (this time with a date) or no they will not for whatever reason. Just a simple honest answer, not 'we're working on it and it will be available real soon'.

I'm going to put a reminder to myself on my calendar to check back in December of 2014 to see if its ready. :whistling:

I'm sure I wont be the last owner to ask this question.........

Just to address what you are asking me- it very much is an assumption. I don't know specific information that may have been lost. My point was to say that since Quantum closed its doors suddenly, and with cars sitting on lifts mid conversion, its possible a little information may have been lost in that mess. I really don't feel comfortable going into more detail than that. Ill just add that they weren't employees of Shelby, they had an agreement just like when a independent contractor installs your DirecTV. I hardly see how Shelby can be blamed if Quantum withheld their bankruptcy until after the fact. I've had zero notice when sub contractors of mine folded shop, and left me with much work left undone and lacking in records. It happens a lot more than you think.

I will just add that a few of us Team Shelby fanatics got together at Mid America a few years ago because we wanted access to more events, and get more local Shelby owners to have a way to enjoy their cars. Within just a few months, we had developed the regions of team Shelby, and while my region and California have enjoyed good participation, before and ever since, some regions such as the NorthEast had never had an event, and very little activity. Now NE is one of the top two or three active regions. I bring this up because Team Shelby was created for just that, but it took our initiative to make it work the way it should. And let me add we continue to strive to make it better all the time. Why the region story? Because maybe what it ends up taking is involvement from people just like you that really want it, to take the initiative, and create a group who wants to make this a reality. Show SA that this is something important to you, and even though people like Amy and Roger are no longer here, that maybe SA can tap TS members to be those resources they need to make it a reality.

And no, I'd bet the farm you won't be the last to ask. Hence my long winded response.

Dubbis,

I truly appreciate your passion and your contribution to this discussion........

I just want to make one final point, you're making assumptions about me without knowing me or other members that have offered up our time years ago to help work on the registry. I'm sure you remember AFBLUE who stated collecting data on the '08's even before he received his car and his work effort got left on the side of the road like many things TS/SAI failed to take advantage of.

I spoke with Amy way before the TS regions were even being conceived to start an official local Shelby Club Chapter in North Carolina in April of 2008. I was handed off to Robert then to Chris Pessinis, I filled out the application that was sent to me the same day which was sent back to Chris, guess what? I never heard back from him in months, It took me bugging the shit out Amy to even get him to reply back. I organized several Shelby events in the Raleigh North Carolina area within weeks of receiving my car, so please stop lecturing me before doing your homework. I have the email exchanges to backup my many, many attempts to offer up my assistance over the past six years, at some point you just give up and quit offering.....

This application was completed and submitted in April 2008 after only owning my SGT for less than 4 months;

TeamShelbyaffiliateQuestionnaireCOMPLETE

And don't even get me stated on the whole TS regional and state director fiasco... I'm sure no one at the mother ship would like those emails made public.

SGT_2.jpg

TheRides.jpg

ShelbyFestLouisburg_zps7ddd8e4f.jpg

Oh well I guess I'll chime in with my view of this.... There have been good points made by all parties, my feelings are that I would like to see something also. I don't know about a book, it would probably cost too much and as 07SGT stated it would be out of date immediately. The fact that SA said they would offer this info is a reason to hope it will be available.

I know it took years to produce the original registry due mostly to the fact that the original cars were sold and resold without the benefit of computer tracking. I tip my hat to those who worked so hard to find and document all this info. But our cars were followed by computer from day one. I would think it would be something rather easy to accomplish compared to what had to be done for the original registry.

I will continue to hope it will be available......

If that is the case, then I understand your frustration. Im not sure what homework I could have done to find out something that transpired with people that aren't even with Shelby anymore, but Im fine taking your word for it as it is consistent with a typical old SAI experience.

In fact, I had an identical experience with setting up a local chapter in Texas. Then, when a few of us decided to continue Terlingua after Amy told me she wouldn't do it again, after our first year and a huge success, instead of getting a kudos for pulling off a great event and raising 5k for CSCF, we not only didnt even get a thank you, I got a personal phone call chewing me out for doing it. (Another group of organizers, that will remain unnamed, got certain people at Shelby to pressure us to relinquish the event). Our only saving grace was one of our organizers is local to the area, and outsiders couldn't get access without him. Sometimes in business, it can get political, and what seems like an easy thing to request, turns into a very complicated and convoluted task with competing agendas of others.

Its just the way things work. That said, I didnt get jaded by the experience, and our achievements eventually forced our acceptance, and in part I believe, led to my appointment for the region. Things are VERY different at SA now. The management is very focused on our added value and potential assets we can provide to make SA successful. It is a key factor in every meeting Im a part of, and I for one am encouraged by the direction things are now going. And then there is Jer. He is one of us. An owner, an enthusiast, an active Team Shelby member, who gets to be there at every meeting representing our hopes and desires, and in part, shaping the future of the brand. How cool is that? So, I would say if there is a specific request like what you tried to do back in the Amy days, send an email to your regional director, or me, or if you want to go to the top, try Gary Patterson. Its a different Shelby these days. Even from just a year or so ago. You might be pleasantly surprised!

Dubbis,

I truly appreciate your passion and your contribution to this discussion........

I just want to make one final point, you're making assumptions about me without knowing me or other members that have offered up our time years ago to help work on the registry. I'm sure you remember AFBLUE who stated collecting data on the '08's even before he received his car and his work effort got left on the side of the road like many things TS/SAI failed to take advantage of.

I spoke with Amy way before the TS regions were even being conceived to start an official local Shelby Club Chapter in North Carolina in April of 2008. I was handed off to Robert then to Chris Pessinis, I filled out the application that was sent to me the same day which was sent back to Chris, guess what? I never heard back from him in months, It took me bugging the shit out Amy to even get him to reply back. I organized several Shelby events in the Raleigh North Carolina area within weeks of receiving my car, so please stop lecturing me before doing your homework. I have the email exchanges to backup my many, many attempts to offer up my assistance over the past six years, at some point you just give up and quit offering.....

And don't even get me stated on the whole TS regional and state director fiasco... I'm sure no one at the mother ship would like those emails made public.SGT_2.jpg

TheRides.jpg

ShelbyFestLouisburg_zps7ddd8e4f.jpg

Archived