TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Some People

DKTA SHELBY

So my Shelby Dakota was T-Boned last week with my Step-son driving it...he's good the truck not so much. When I got to the scene it looked totaled to me but the insurance guy is saying that it is fixable so naturally I was thrilled. When I went to the body shop the "MOPAR" parts guy was telling the shop manager that they had to find a Shelby Dakota door for it that a normal Dakota door wouldnt work. I had to laugh and explain to them that it is for all intents and purposes a dodge dakota and the only thing that Shelby did to it was the decals, engine, tranny, rearend and suspension and that any dakota door from 1987 to 1992 would fit...Some People!!!

post-40987-0-77380100-1385132421_thumb.jpg

post-40987-0-49386600-1385132431_thumb.jpg

post-40987-0-03931800-1385132440_thumb.jpg

post-40987-0-77380100-1385132421_thumb.jpg

post-40987-0-49386600-1385132431_thumb.jpg

post-40987-0-03931800-1385132440_thumb.jpg

So my Shelby Dakota was T-Boned last week with my Step-son driving it...he's good the truck not so much. When I got to the scene it looked totaled to me but the insurance guy is saying that it is fixable so naturally I was thrilled. When I went to the body shop the "MOPAR" parts guy was telling the shop manager that they had to find a Shelby Dakota door for it that a normal Dakota door wouldnt work. I had to laugh and explain to them that it is for all intents and purposes a dodge dakota and the only thing that Shelby did to it was the decals, engine, tranny, rearend and suspension and that any dakota door from 1987 to 1992 would fit...Some People!!!

Well at least they acknowledged its Shelby pedigree. Many CPD dealerships have personnel that claim Shelby never was involved with Chrysler, heck I've heard stories of owners being told that Chrysler never built a turbocharged four cylinder car. Whenever I need parts for my S/Dak I just tell the counter person I have a 1989 Dodge Dakota Sport.

Glad no one was hurt and it appears to be an easy fix.

Steve

So I have an update to my story...*begin somber music now*...the insurance company has deemed it a total loss. So with that being said, I have some parts that I am going to sell. I am going to try and get the plastic pieces that set between the floor and seat, I have the Shelby floor mats, I have the foglight covers I have some NOS headlight bezzels, I also have some brand new break lines. Oh yeah one more thing I have a new in the box...er tube set of Phoenix Graphics Decals for the entire truck. Make me an offer I cant refuse, I am also going to try and get the air dam off it if they will let me have it. I will also try for the center caps from the wheels cant make any promises tho.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Shelby floor mats, the fog light covers, a set of A/C hoses in decent shape didn't get a chance to put them on the truck so not sure if they will hold refrigerant or not, I've got brand new front break lines, a white light bar in kind of rough shape, a NOS set of headlight bezels. PM me and let me know if you need any of these parts and we can talk about prices.

Why not just buy it back from them? You could fix that truck for $500 (which is the price of a good parts truck)...that way if you need other parts, you got em. Then sell the rest of the truck, and recoup most of my money back haha.

I had an old Dakota that needed a door and rear box fender. I found both for $75 total, and they even matched the color of mine! All I had to do was get 'em restriped.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived