TEAM SHELBY FORUM

question concerning Shelby GT intake

Yes it can be cleaned and reoiled. If you have the Shelby GT book that came with the car it says to do it,and lists a kit.

The kit is no longer available. I used the steeda cleaning and oil kit. It uses blue oil like it had originally.

+1

Just as an FYI.

The service adviser at my local Ford dealer cautioned me not to OVER oil it. He says he's had quite a few Fords (including Mustangs) with owner installed K&N air filters, that have come in running rough. It turns out the owners over oiled their filters and their Mass Air Flow sensors had the air filter oil on it.

Just a precaution.

Just as an FYI.

The service adviser at my local Ford dealer cautioned me not to OVER oil it. He says he's had quite a few Fords (including Mustangs) with owner installed K&N air filters, that have come in running rough. It turns out the owners over oiled their filters and their Mass Air Flow sensors had the air filter oil on it.

Just a precaution.

Very good point.

After cleaning and oiling, I let the filter sit overnight to allow any excess oil to drain off.

It's also a good idea to purchase a second filter for a couple of reasons - you'll always have a clean/oiled one ready to go AND if you show your car, you can change to the clean one for the show, back to the dirty one for the drive home!

Sam

Did the cleaner & oil kit for the GTH's also use blue oil?

I recall the filter being a grayish color from Ford Racing on my 06 GT-H. Not sure about the 07 verts. With the Paxton SC the filter is now redish color and I use K&N cleaner which is also redish oil and my stock intake is boxed way. Maybe one of the other GT-H owners can chime in.

Edited by H0050

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, just wanted to throw another option out there.

I have an 08 GT500 running the FRPP CAI and tune from the KR and got tired of the filters getting dirty so quickly, so I ordered an Amsoil EA paper filter for it (they have many different models for different car setups). Looks the same but has stayed clean so far; I even ordered and use their pre-filter mesh on top of it as well. I'm running a 2.3L TVS supercharger setup and the car is well over 700HP crank, so there was no adverse effects on airflow. These filters are also (based on what I've read over the years) comparable to oiled filters as far as the size of particles they will filter out, plus you never have to mess with re-oiling. I believe the oiled filers have a slight advantage on offroading applications, but I'm pretty sure most of us aren't running the baja in our cars ;)

Anyway, I recently bought an 07 SGT and the first thing I replaced was the dark discolored filter with an Amsoil EA paper filter. Looks great and lost no power so the flow is great for this car as well. Figured I'd share since I've used it and can vouch for it. Here's the model numbers if you're interested:

Amsoil EA Air Filter for SGT - EAAU6075-EA http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/filters-and-by-pass-systems/air/amsoil-ea-universal-air-induction-filters/?code=EAAU6075

Amsoil pre-filter mesh for SGT - EAPF16-EA http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/filters-and-by-pass-systems/air/amsoil-ea-pre-filters/?code=EAPF16

And in case anyone looking for filters for the 500 happens to find this on the search engines, here's the info for the 500 (only if you're running the 113mm FRPP CAI used on the KR. Aftermarket intakes will likely require a different model filter, if Amsoil offers one)

Amsoil EA Air Filter for GT500KR/FRPP 113mm CAI - EAAU6080-EA http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/filters-and-by-pass-systems/air/amsoil-ea-universal-air-induction-filters/?code=EAAU6080

Amsoil pre-filter mesh for GT500KR/FRPP 113mm CAI - EAPF15-EA http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/filters-and-by-pass-systems/air/amsoil-ea-pre-filters/?code=EAPF15

The fitment of the filter on the intake for the 500 was a little tighter than the stock filters, but it will fit flush and stay on the MAF tube once you get it on. I used a screwdriver to get some leverage on the rim to stretch it slightly so i could finish sliding it on the tube. The filter for the SGT goes on with zero effort just like the stock filter (thank you Steeda for designing a filter that was easy to get on and off).

Edited by revan

Hey guys, just wanted to throw another option out there.

I have an 08 GT500 running the FRPP CAI and tune from the KR and got tired of the filters getting dirty so quickly, so I ordered an Amsoil EA paper filter for it (they have many different models for different car setups). Looks the same but has stayed clean so far; I even ordered and use their pre-filter mesh on top of it as well. I'm running a 2.3L TVS supercharger setup and the car is well over 700HP crank, so there was no adverse effects on airflow. These filters are also (based on what I've read over the years) comparable to oiled filters as far as the size of particles they will filter out, plus you never have to mess with re-oiling. I believe the oiled filers have a slight advantage on offroading applications, but I'm pretty sure most of us aren't running the baja in our cars ;)

Anyway, I recently bought an 07 SGT and the first thing I replaced was the dark discolored filter with an Amsoil EA paper filter. Looks great and lost no power so the flow is great for this car as well. Figured I'd share since I've used it and can vouch for it. Here's the model numbers if you're interested:

Amsoil EA Air Filter for SGT - EAAU6075-EA http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/filters-and-by-pass-systems/air/amsoil-ea-universal-air-induction-filters/?code=EAAU6075

Amsoil pre-filter mesh for SGT - EAPF16-EA http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/filters-and-by-pass-systems/air/amsoil-ea-pre-filters/?code=EAPF16

And in case anyone looking for filters for the 500 happens to find this on the search engines, here's the info for the 500 (only if you're running the 113mm FRPP CAI used on the KR. Aftermarket intakes will likely require a different model filter, if Amsoil offers one)

Amsoil EA Air Filter for GT500KR/FRPP 113mm CAI - EAAU6080-EA http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/filters-and-by-pass-systems/air/amsoil-ea-universal-air-induction-filters/?code=EAAU6080

Amsoil pre-filter mesh for GT500KR/FRPP 113mm CAI - EAPF15-EA http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/filters-and-by-pass-systems/air/amsoil-ea-pre-filters/?code=EAPF15

The fitment of the filter on the intake for the 500 was a little tighter than the stock filters, but it will fit flush and stay on the MAF tube once you get it on. I used a screwdriver to get some leverage on the rim to stretch it slightly so i could finish sliding it on the tube. The filter for the SGT goes on with zero effort just like the stock filter (thank you Steeda for designing a filter that was easy to get on and off).

Nice Find!

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like good advice

It looks like this is the product that Steeda sells:

http://www.steeda.com/store/air-filter-cleaning-kit-for-ford-mustang.html

Although K&N and others are a good choice too

That is the one I use as well. K&N kit is pretty much the same thing just different color oil.

Guess I just like the blue color so that is why I went with the steeda kit.

Kind of intersted in the amsoil filter,no more oiling.

After reading through the thread again some people mentioned their filter was grey.

That means your filter is dry and should be serviced.

Here is a video that may help.

I like how he starts within the water from the inside pushing the dirt out rather than some who I have seen who use high pressure on the outside pushing the dirt deeper in. I do wonder if he's using too much but the technique looks good to me.

Thoughts?

Edited by JeffIsHereToo

Here is a video that may help.

I like how he starts within the water from the inside pushing the dirt out rather than some who I have seen who use high pressure on the outside pushing the dirt deeper in. I do wonder if he's using too much but the technique looks good to me.

Thoughts?

This probably sounds terrible, but for that much effort I might just save some time and effort and buy a new one. I think the Steeda blue filters are about $55.

Edited by IASHELBYGT

I'm working on something special for my Whipple 550...

Jer

csfilter.jpg

csfilter.jpg

Nice Jer! Now how about for us NA boys and girls?

Well, THAT didn't take long! LOL

Truth be told, I just did this as a fun project for MY car, but it turned out really nice, the endcap is metal, black anodized and laser-engraved. So, naturally, I will be looking into doing several different models for our customers.

Close-up photo below.

BTW, the first person to correctly identify the ultra-rare blueish Shelby coffee mug on my desk in the background wins one of our new "Shelby On The Strip" T-shirts in black or white...

Jer

endcap.jpg

endcap.jpg

Is that a CSM plaque coffee mug! I want one!!!

Yes, for a specific car with a story… what's the story?

Jer