TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Suggestions for new tires?

You may get a lot of answers / opinions - however - the next tires I buy for my SGT will be either BF Goodrich (have been great; still have originals on) or Continental (just because they are the tire of choice for the United SportsCar Series and are mounted on many racing Mustangs).

I went with the BFG's Sport Comp 2 in place of the original BFGs, and have really liked them. I had a set of 255/18s in place of the original 235s on original rims that I used for a year before I went wider on my new rims...I liked them so much I bought the same tire a year later for the new rims. The traction has been great and I was able to upsize to 275/18s on all 4 corners with my new set of KR rims. The largest I could go on the original rims with the Sport Comp 2 was 255/18, and I took that set of 255s to the track last year and they were awesome.

I've heard a lot of folks have also been pleased with the Continentals, and I think they had 285s available in the 18 inch rim size. You're upsizing to the 20 inch rims, so check both and check the wet/dry traction reviews & MPG ratings on all of them.

Don't forget to have the car programmed for the new tire size or your speedometer and odometer will be off. If you have a tuner you can do this yourself, but be sure to double check by driving past a speed reading sign near a school zone to verify the settings. I have found that the tire rotation/revolution values are not always 100% accurate and you may have to do some trial & error adjustments to get it right. Also remember if you are slightly off at 35 mph, then you will be twice as great a reading differential from actual at 70 mph. I checked mine late at night doing 45 mph and 50 mph to make sure the readings were as accurate as possible so I wouldn't get that error to cause a highway speeding ticket.

Good Luck!

Andy.

You may get a lot of answers / opinions ....

Indeed you will. I went with the Michelin's because I have always had very good luck with them and tend to be brand loyal. Others have complained about them.

You're upsizing to the 20 inch rims, so check both and check the wet/dry traction reviews & MPG ratings on all of them. Don't forget to have the car programmed for the new tire size or your speedometer and odometer will be off.

Good comment. From the stock GT500 wheels and tires, the 20 inch tire sizes I went with measured "almost" identical diameter/circumference to the 18 inch tires that came off the car due to lower profile. There was virtually no change in speedo.... or at least not enough to worry about. A lot of guys will use a higher profile tire though which will require reprograming.

Here is a diameter calculator that I found helpful:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/tiresizescalc.html

Speed delta calculator:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/tireinfo4calc.html

The calculator is taking an avg. for all tire manufacturers, but there will be variances based upon every tire and how it is constructed. My actual tire measurements were a little closer than what the calculator suggests. Basically, when I'm driving 100 mph my speedo is reading 101. I can live with that for now.

My experience has been that the published wheel revolutions per mile figures are very loosely tied to actual performance on the highway. If you have a FRPP Pro-cal tuner the WhRPM is adjustable in single digits; when I had the other tuners, they went five units at a time. Figuring the stock-diameter tires are 27.2 (or so) inches, if you stay close to that you might not need any adjustment to keep the speedometer close to realistic. Serious perusal of the speedometer in action shows the needle covers quite a range of MPH.

When I used the tire manufacturers' WhRPM figures to compensate for a reduction of about four tenths of an inch in tire diameter, the actual MPH was three to five off from the indicated MPH. Exhaustive testing of actual MPH (from GPS) allowed me to change the WhRPM to a number that yielded close-to-perfect correspondence between GPS speed and speedometer speed indications. Only a mild pain-in-the-butt, and satisfying. Changing to a taller tire will introduce an error that may be more dangerous: the speedometer will indicate a speed slower than your actual speed, with the potential to put you in Citation-Vulnerable territory.

Last month we did a 1,346-mile loop through Santa Cruz CA, Tahoe, San Diego, and the speedometer in the 5.0 was dead-on, by GPS. It could be pretty far off and still be covered by the needle-width, though. Most changes in tire diameter are not likely to be extreme enough to warrant messing with adjustments, but if it is important enough to you, GPS is the most accurate way to verify your speed.

I have had Continentals DW's in 275s, they lasted about 50k miles and I currently have the DWS's same size with about 25K miles and they look new, great grip. I drive my car daily and at the track with no issues.

Exactly who I was thinking of on the Continental DW's. Glad you chimed in!

Andy

my GT/SC came with Nitto's and didn't want them from the beginning so I finally switched to the Michelin Pilot Super Sport and by far so superior to the Nittos in every way that I wish I changed earlier. The Michelin's are not cheap but considering your tires are one of the most important aspects about your car, this is not the area to go cheap on. I've used Pirelli, BF Goodrich, Bridgestone, Goodyear, Michelin, Firestone, the new Mickey Thompsons on different Mustangs and the Michelin's are the best and I chose them over a close 2nd which was the Bridgestone Potenza S04. I live where it rains a lot so being superior in the rain was a major factor. My Mustangs are not daily drivers so I don't care about mileage but performance and how it does it the wet was more important

However, here is something the tire guy or your buddy may not tell you and its very true, sometimes the tire you want may not handle the same in a 20" compared to the 18" you had it on. I've also had tires feel like shit when my 06 had Tokico's on it then I switched to Bridgestone Potenza's and the tires then felt world class

• 3 weeks later...

Replaced the original BFG's at 15K with the Comp 2's. Huge improvement auto crossing! Great turn-in with little under-steer allows me to put power down much sooner coming out. Have run five autox's on them with very little wear. Highway ride and handling is also excellent, however I only have 2500 miles on them! Hope this helps. Up for the Winter, can't wait for Spring!!!!

Replaced the original BFG's at 15K with the Comp 2's. Huge improvement auto crossing! Great turn-in with little under-steer allows me to put power down much sooner coming out. Have run five autox's on them with very little wear. Highway ride and handling is also excellent, however I only have 2500 miles on them! Hope this helps. Up for the Winter, can't wait for Spring!!!!

Sams,

What sizes are you running on your SGT??

thanks,

Andy,

Archived