TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Factory Red Stripes

dednock

I recently installed a black mamba hood on my 2011 SVTPP equipped Shelby GT500. Because of the location of the scoop, the factory stripes are too short for the hood. I have been to several graphics shops and looked at red samples from 3M, Avery, Oracal, ect... and not one of the reds matches the factory red from Ford. It is a very unique red.

With that being said, I have been able to contact the manufacturer that Ford uses to produce their stripe kits. The red is called "race red" for the 2011 stripes. I imagine it is the same red for other model years. They are willing to make a special run of the stripes in the length that I need, however, it is not going to be cheap. They have a minimum of 12 sheets needed for the run. The total cost is $2,200 for the 12 sheets. The stripes will be 24" x 60". I will have to have the thin black outline stripe added by using a black pin stripe. I am seriously considering having them make the run, however, I am trying to see if anyone would be interested in buying some of the sheets from me. I am not trying to make any money, only recoupe my costs. It breaks down to $183.33 per sheet and with shipping, probably $200.00 or less per sheet. They can be cut to whatever length and width you need once you get them. I am willing to go in with someone or a couple of folks to get the costs down. Please PM me if you or anyone you know is interested.

OK, here's the deal on the stripes. They are made by a company in Michigan and they are a vinyl material that is literaly painted specially for Ford. They make them a unique color so that they can charge you stupid money if you damage them, like $600.00 just for the roof stripes and another $600.00 for the hood stripes. It's easier to go to a graphics shop and have them make you a whole new set for the car that is as close as they can get to the original. I got the company in Michigan to make me enough for my SS hood, took over a year and cost me $632.00 with shipping for two strips of Vista Blue painted vinyl. Sadly I didn't even get kissed while I was getting F&%$#@. So, that's the story on the stripes. Good luck on your quest.

for the record, i have yet to see an aftermarket stripe kit of the same quality that ford produces for our cars...and that includes the stripes used by SAI. i think you are on the right track in getting a short run done and trying to get others to split the cost with you in the event they are facing the same issue. however, it may take time to find the folks that would need that extra run and get a consensus. painting is best, but painting after the car has left the factory is a problem as their will be a seam where the painted stripes meet the factory clear coat. the "right" way to do it is to repaint the entire car and stripes at the same time and clear coat after that, but as you can imagine, that is a chunk of change and i'd be worried about the painter getting the painted stripes to match the vinyl stripes exactly as the factory intended.

Archived