TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Car Show Question

joebob948

Just writing to get everyone's opinion on what to use to clean up one's car when arriving at a car show !! Most of us have a distance to drive to a show and usually arrive there with dust and grime so I am curious what most of you are using to prep your baby before being judged. I am really looking for a product that is a favorite and will take care so as to not swirl or scratch the finish!!!!!!!!! Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated !!!!!!!!!!

I start to the show with a pretty clean car so I don't try to do a full cleaning once I get there. I use a spray detailer and microfiber towel. All the detailer products are indistinguishable so use whatever one grabs your fancy. Bring along some glass cleaner for windshields. Spend 10 minutes and go enjoy the rest if the show. I've seen some guys with toothbrushes and don't get why they put so much into it. I've never seen a non judged show make a difference. For judged shows I do spend a little more time but not much. That was after I got dinged for having out gassing on the inside of the windshield.

twobjshelbys hit it right on the nail. Basically same thing here. Start the show with a clean car and then just hit with the detailer and microfiber and glass cleaner for windshield. Check the wheels make sure their clean and if you want some tire shine. I use the meguiars final touch detailer. Or when I have it, Adams. All the shows around here aren't the kind of shows where you must have every inch of the car white glove clean. The hardest part to keep clean to me is the honeycomb grille.

The hardest part to keep clean to me is the honeycomb grille.

If you have never used this stuff, give it a try for your hard to reach and painful to clean plastics. I use this while I'm washing the car however, when the car is wet. You do not have to worry about any overspray then on any surfaces. This stuff is like magic on the honey comb grille and the plastics in the side scoops, etc. Adam's In&Out spray.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-517-adams-in-and-out-spray.aspx

What is even more magic than that stuff, is the Under Carriage Spray for the wheel liners, etc. I use this stuff when I arrive at a car show also to make any dust or dirt in the wheel liner areas completely disappear. It also smells just like grape soda. This is one of those things that makes a huge difference in judging that really sets your car appart having clean wheel liner areas around the tires.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-61-adams-invisible-undercarriage-spray-dressing.aspx

I also live a 1/2 mile down a dirt road, so pretty much any show I go to I have to do some dusting and detailing. Yes, I am a pretty big believer of the Adams product line. Amazing stuff. My car was in really bad shape early this year and I didn't have time to do a major paint correction before my biggest show of the year in Steamboat Springs, so I brought my car to Adams and had them do it up good to get any swirls out etc. But it worked as I took a top award out of over 50 Shelby's in my class.

RMMR2013003_zpsd5580643.jpg

twobjshelbys hit it right on the nail. Basically same thing here. Start the show with a clean car and then just hit with the detailer and microfiber and glass cleaner for windshield. Check the wheels make sure their clean and if you want some tire shine. I use the meguiars final touch detailer. Or when I have it, Adams. All the shows around here aren't the kind of shows where you must have every inch of the car white glove clean. The hardest part to keep clean to me is the honeycomb grille.

Pretty much the same thing here as well.

I agree. I go to the shows to enjoy them. Why spend all the time cleaning. If it is that dirty use a car wash close by.

Spray detailers are a must....and yes, California car dusters to create some swirls over time. As a black car owner, I can attest to this. Most dusters do. I've used to use a lambs wool duster, when in a pinch, which works a bit better. If your car is mildly dusty, a mircofiber towel (or even better, one of those big fancy fluffy drying towels) and a liberal coating of a good spray detailer is best. If it's really dusty, I think it's best to wash it if possible. I've gone as far as bringing a big jug of fresh water and a small bucket of soapy water, and wiped down in another parking lot down the street lol.

Another tip if mine is using vinyl shine / tire dressing in the wheel wells. It's hard to clear out tar and road debris, and you may not have the time or ability to clean out the wells, but this quick trick does a great job of hiding things and making everything look nice and shiny.

I've won a few shows over the years....all for bein' clean ;)

Uber woll dusters are nice

IMG_8147.jpg

Agreed. I will never use a California Duster on my black car again. I learned the hard way what they do to the paint. They do a great job on dusting, but they also do a great job on dragging the fine particles across the surface causing swirls. I will probably never buy a black car again either! But it looks so good!!!

Jon, if you've never tried under carriage spray for the wheel wells, you will be shocked.

Agreed. I will never use a California Duster on my black car again. I learned the hard way what they do to the paint. They do a great job on dusting, but they also do a great job on dragging the fine particles across the surface causing swirls. I will probably never buy a black car again either! But it looks so good!!!

Jon, if you've never tried under carriage spray for the wheel wells, you will be shocked.

I agree about the duster but also had mine detailed every 2 years so it was just part of the cost of doing business

I also agree about black cars. Very nearly bought a black stripe delete ford gt and had a red heritage treatment done - the photoshop of it looked awesome but my wife vetoed the black paint. She said it triggered an OCD behavior. Yep. But the British racing green on the cobra did the same thing

A California Duster will not cause the slightest mark IF YOU HAVE THE RIGHT POLISH on the car. I have 28 coats of Liquid Glass on the Shelby and 27 coats on my wife's Jet Black BMW. The finishes are so hard you can dust all day long with the California duster with no marks whatsoever. I dust them in the garage almost every day.

I might have to try this stuff. Is it mild?? I always worry about washing away stickers and grease pencil markings...on some cars it doesn't matter, but I have a couple that are just THAT perfect and untouched ;)

If you have never used this stuff, give it a try for your hard to reach and painful to clean plastics. I use this while I'm washing the car however, when the car is wet. You do not have to worry about any overspray then on any surfaces. This stuff is like magic on the honey comb grille and the plastics in the side scoops, etc. Adam's In&Out spray.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-517-adams-in-and-out-spray.aspx

What is even more magic than that stuff, is the Under Carriage Spray for the wheel liners, etc. I use this stuff when I arrive at a car show also to make any dust or dirt in the wheel liner areas completely disappear. It also smells just like grape soda. This is one of those things that makes a huge difference in judging that really sets your car appart having clean wheel liner areas around the tires.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-61-adams-invisible-undercarriage-spray-dressing.aspx

I also live a 1/2 mile down a dirt road, so pretty much any show I go to I have to do some dusting and detailing. Yes, I am a pretty big believer of the Adams product line. Amazing stuff. My car was in really bad shape early this year and I didn't have time to do a major paint correction before my biggest show of the year in Steamboat Springs, so I brought my car to Adams and had them do it up good to get any swirls out etc. But it worked as I took a top award out of over 50 Shelby's in my class.

Adam's is all good stuff. Love it.

Jer

Black cars are soo much work...but no other color looks soo good when it's clean. My '500 is white/red, and even after an afternoon detail job, it still looks the same....still white lol

If you ever own a black car again, try Liquid Glass. It will correct the minor scratches and swirls with the first 5 or 6 coats. After that, the finish will be no more work than any other color. I took my wife's BMW in for service recently at the dealer. The service advisor said it was the best looking black BMW paint he had EVER SEEN (and he sees a lot). He asked what I was doing to make it look that way. I gave him a two word answer -- Liquid Glass.

Archived