TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Clutch engagement

WV2008

Ok, I have a question that I needs some help with. The clutch in my 2008 begins. To engage about 1/2 off the floor and is fully engaged at about 3/4 off the floor. I have read that is a sign of a worn clutch- is that accurate?

Thanks

Clutch pedal reserve is the measurement you are describing. The Ford Workshop Manual states that with your car running and transmission in 1st gear, your clutch should start to engage with the pedal about 1 inch off the floor, but it does not give a maximum limit, so your observation appears to be normal. You can rev your engine to 2000 rpm with your transmission in 4th gear; let the clutch out slowly to full release, and the engine should stall within 5 seconds. A second measurement to check is clutch pedal free play. With the engine off, push downward on the clutch pedal until a slight resistance is felt. You should feel resistance within .5 inches of movement. If either the reserve or free play measurements is out of tolerance, I would bleed the clutch and see if it changes anything. Your clutch may be worn, but if it is not slipping, I would not mess with it. My original clutch held on for nearly 22,500 miles of spirited driving including road course, auto-cross, and drag racing. I first noticed my clutch slipping at WOT in 5th gear, then it started slipping at WOT in 4th gear and continued to go downhill quickly to the point where I could not make boost in any gear without slippage. It is expensive to replace or upgrade, so when the time comes, choose your replacement wisely.

• 1 month later...

Archived