TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT at Thunderbolt Raceway

sgt1020

Some footage from my weekend at NJMP Thunderbolt with NASA Group 3 & 4, no Chicanes.

It was cold out, about 50 degrees, so I was sliding around a bit. Definitely can push harder during the summer when the track is hot. But all in all, had a blast. Looking forward to next season.

-Brandon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlcPZkqpiNM&feature=c4-overview&list=UUCle1QXPwveDqJOCJmTq9iA

Ship the car out here next month - I'll have it ready for next season for ya Brandon ! :lol:

LOL! Next thing on my list is a pair of Cobra Suzuka Pro Fit Racing Seats for next season, but full blown turn key track car? hmmmmmm.... Sure would be nice :spend:

Brandon -

How did you like that decreasing radius right hand turn ( the one before the left, then you go under the bridge)? No one told me about that one, and it snuck up on me. I managed to get through it, but is wasn't pretty, and there was considerable 'puckering' on my behalf.

I ran a few 'parade' laps there at the SAAC-33 convention.

Z-man

Seats are probably a good thing to get next so you don't go sliding around in the car ! Good to see that you're out there having fun and driving it on the track Brandon - Carroll would be smiling .

The harnesses I have now really helped to keep me in the seat, but yeah, racing seats will REALLY hold me in place. And yes Carroll would be, like he said, "Stop wiping that car all day, it ain't a flower, drive it!"

Brandon -

How did you like that decreasing radius right hand turn ( the one before the left, then you go under the bridge)? No one told me about that one, and it snuck up on me. I managed to get through it, but is wasn't pretty, and there was considerable 'puckering' on my behalf.

I ran a few 'parade' laps there at the SAAC-33 convention.

Z-man

When you know the right line to take that turn, it's not so bad. A bunch of guys at the track argue there's different ways to approach it, but there's so many variables that go into how you take that turn (what kind of car etc.)

I found it best to stay about mid way to the outside of the track, and hard brake turn in up onto the rumble strip. This was the same line a Porsche race car was taking and it was definitely the fastest. The rumble strip actually helps the car through that turn. Because you're turning right, putting the passenger side of the car up onto the rumble strip will compress the suspension on the driver side, hence giving you more grip to power through. The footage in the video was from my 3rd run there that day, and it was my first time at Thunderbolt. Next time I'm there I will be perfecting my lines, practice makes perfect!

Last season I hit Summit Point, Watkins Glen twice, and Thunderbolt.

Aiming to hit VIR, Lightning, and Lime Rock next season (Although Lime Rock may be an issue with their noise level limit). DEFINITELY will be back at The Glen though, my absolute favorite, and Thunderbolt once again.

Any more thoughts on a Tiger Racing Hood for your car Brandon ?

Not in the near future. I would really like to track my SGT for another year or two, and then get a dedicated track car. The dedicated track car (if it's a mustang) will get a Tiger Racing hood.

Archived