TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011 MT82 gearbox failure - Installing Tremec Magnum XL

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMG_6418.jpg

Trans, driveshaft are back in. All that is left to go is to fill the trans, bleed the throw out bearing, hook up the speedometer, hook up the exhaust and install the shifter.

Thanks to my buddies Mark and Kevin (Albino500) for helping muscle the trans in.

I will put the finishing touches on it Friday and test drive.

IMG_6418.jpg

The mt82 is my biggest complaint when I owned the 350. Im actually surprised that not many gt350 owners knew what transmission is in their cars.

Michael, I believe you will LOVE the Tremec. It is a night and day difference, and you are spot on with your assessment of 1st and 2nd gear with the mt82. If you went from a gt500 to a gt350, like myself, it was instantly apparent. Good luck, and can't wait to see your results. Im curious how and if you have a change in dyno results as well.

Somebody posted they doubted the 5.0 holding up to 624 HP, but I can say Ford engineers we have had the opportunity to discuss with have stated the 5.0 is perfectly safe under 700hp, but not more. The Boss 5.0 is a completely different engine though. I have a friend pushing over 900hp, on her third transmission and input shaft, but engine is holding strong!

The nice thing about the 5.0 is, if you blow it, its a 6-8k replace at worst, or upgrade to a full aluminator for 9k installed. The 5.8 in the gt500 is over 25k to replace.

Mike- im unimpressed with your knowledge of transmission manufacturing. While your dissatisfaction with the Chinese mt82 is valid, faulting the Tremec, which is used in many performance applications not limited to Ford is a near bullet proof tranny. It is reliable to well over 1000hp, and if you troll the gt500 forums, I challenge you to find more than an isolated case of one breaking out of the what, 70k gt500 made to date?

I also suggest you start reading up on the new 10 speed automatic transmission that has been co developed between GM and Ford over the past 5 years. You will start to see it as early as the MY2016.

Ford has admitted the mt82 is an overall failure, as has been their Ford MyTouch.

But hey, not every decision one can make can be perfect when it has to do with so much technology. The past decade has doubled the performance AND fuel economy of so many platforms, Im just happy to be able to have them. They will get the bugs ironed out. Focus on the good.

As for Shelby swapping the mt82? Hmmm, there is only so much you can do aftermarket in volume production.

Warren-

Your points and analysis are spot on.

The MT-82 was my biggest gripe with the 350 when it came from Shelby.

I didn't believe Alex (at first) when he told me to, essentially, "shut up; bite the bullet; spend the $$; and swap to the Tremec." It was GREAT advice. But once you tell Alex that he's right . . . . you know how that goes!

In any event, now with the Tremec the car drives the way it should - - solid, reliable shifts without a wasted first gear and with a useful OD gear. And no fear of a KaBoom!

Nevertheless, I'm still interested in Michael's "take" on the Tremec.

Best

Pat

DubbsFaris said: "Mike- im (sic) unimpressed with your knowledge of transmission manufacturing. While your dissatisfaction with the Chinese mt82 is valid, faulting the Tremec, which is used in many performance applications not limited to Ford is a near bullet proof tranny. It is reliable to well over 1000hp, and if you troll the gt500 forums, I challenge you to find more than an isolated case of one breaking out of the what, 70k gt500 made to date?"

Sorry I don't meet your expectations, I will endeavor to improve.... :worship:

But, are you saying the Mexican Tremec in the GT500s is just as good as the Magnum XL being discussed here?

And continued: "As for Shelby swapping the mt82? Hmmm, there is only so much you can do aftermarket in volume production."

Not sure I understand your logic here, so swapping out an inferior tranny for the hand full of GT350s they make is "volume" production and thus impossible for SAI to accomplish?

In looking into the Tremec issue, I discovered my 2012 ZR1 has a Tremec TR-6060 transmission with a MH3 gearset, Not sure what all that means, but I have not heard of any failures of that tranny in the ZR1 group. Is that a Mexican one?

Designed in Michigan, assembled in Mexico.

Well, the installation is complete!

Driving impression - unbelievable improvement.... new gear ratios are much more usable. 80 MPH is sixth = 2000 rpm. First is now useable in a parking lot. The gear spacing for my power band is great.

Regarding the install - don't try this at home. My resume includes owning a mod shop in Colorado for 8.5 years, ASE training, and line mechanic experience in the 70's. I also have a comprehensive toolbox and a master mechanic/tech friend (Albino500) 5 minutes away. Having a four post lift and a trans jack is the only way to go.

I did mess up wiring the sensors from the trans to the factory wiring harness. No damage done, Bruce Couture from Modern Driveline made himself available this morning (Sunday!) to talk me through the correct connections.

I look forward to getting everything broken in in time for the Norcal SAAC Turkey Bowl track day at Laguna Seca the day after Thanksgiving.

20131103_141920_resized.jpg

20131103_141920_resized.jpg

What does the kit cost? Seems to be very high quality components. Good luck!!!

$5500.00 all in - T56 Magnum XL, shifter, McLeod RST twin disc clutch, lightened steel flywheel, Quicktime bell housing, 3.5" one piece aluminum driveshaft, speedometer conversion box, wiring harness, Amsoil ATF + freight.

Bruce Couture's guidance included and priceless!

In looking into the Tremec issue, I discovered my 2012 ZR1 has a Tremec TR-6060 transmission with a MH3 gearset, Not sure what all that means, but I have not heard of any failures of that tranny in the ZR1 group. Is that a Mexican one?

Mike

The Tremec TR-6060 differs from the one installed - it handles less torque, has different gear ratios and has the external, body mount shift linkage. Mine has the direct attached internal shift linkage.

MM

$5500.00 all in - T56 Magnum XL, shifter, McLeod RST twin disc clutch, lightened steel flywheel, Quicktime bell housing, 3.5" one piece aluminum driveshaft, speedometer conversion box, wiring harness, Amsoil ATF + freight.

Bruce Couture's guidance included and priceless!

That isn't bad. Much better considering you could do the install yourself. Glad it seems to have worked well.

Glad you got the project complete.

I gather you can stay in each gear longer?

Also, were there any problems with the the transmission or computer related settings in order to get the speedometer correct?

Glad you got the project complete.

I gather you can stay in each gear longer?

Also, were there any problems with the the transmission or computer related settings in order to get the speedometer correct?

Thanks.

I cruised through a parking lot in first, never happened with the MT82. I can apply the throttle sooner in second without as much wheel spin.

Once I hooked everything up correctly, there were zero issues. the kit is designed to be fool proof.

MICHAEL-

That's great news!

BTW - what Shelby shifter all did you use to fit the Tremec?

and where did you get the carbon fiber console and dash pieces?

thanks.

Pat

That is the Tremec shifter with a Shelby ball. I believe SPP sells the ball - 12 x 1.75 pitch.

My console and radio surround are hydrocarbon painted.

350 interior.jpg

350 interior.jpg

Designed in Michigan, assembled in Mexico.

Oh boy, wish you hadn't told me that! I used to really like it compared to the GT350, winds out to 80 mph in first, turns 1600 rpm at 70 mph (at 27 mpg), and now I find out it also may break at any moment. Guess I better get on the ZR1 board and see who has put the XL in theirs and how to do it. Thanks!

Oh boy, wish you hadn't told me that! I used to really like it compared to the GT350, winds out to 80 mph in first, turns 1600 rpm at 70 mph (at 27 mpg), and now I find out it also may break at any moment. Guess I better get on the ZR1 board and see who has put the XL in theirs and how to do it. Thanks!

Mike

This is a thread about the weak MT82 gearboxes in Mustangs.

I am unaware of TR-6060 failures on the scale of what we are talking about here. MT82 failures are widespread.

I know a lot of people with very high power Shelbys - 750+ rwhp - with TR-6060s and they perform flawlessly.

I am confused how you would get the impression that your Corvette's trans is going to fail.

Maybe this will help -

http://moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/The_solution_to_2005-up_Ford_Mustang_S197_Shift_problems.htm

Thanks, yes I understand now about the issues with a Chinese tranny in my GT350, and am glad I have not tracked it yet, since I just picked it up late June and was breaking it in. But, I am just thinking ahead about my real track car, the ZR1, and worrying that with a Mexican tranny it is just a matter of time before it goes too??? I have put out the question about TR-6060 failures and problems to the ZR1 group, I'll see what I get. Maybe I am just worrying needlessly, but all this foreign made stuff makes me nervous, I prefer American quality but it seems people like Tremec and Getrag try to hide where their products are actually made, that seems dishonest to me.

Thanks, yes I understand now about the issues with a Chinese tranny in my GT350, and am glad I have not tracked it yet, since I just picked it up late June and was breaking it in. But, I am just thinking ahead about my real track car, the ZR1, and worrying that with a Mexican tranny it is just a matter of time before it goes too??? I have put out the question about TR-6060 failures and problems to the ZR1 group, I'll see what I get. Maybe I am just worrying needlessly, but all this foreign made stuff makes me nervous, I prefer American quality but it seems people like Tremec and Getrag try to hide where their products are actually made, that seems dishonest to me.

Being in the business of using overseas contract manufacturers, let me shed a little clarity on the procedure.

When we build in Mexico, we do not leave the quality and production control up to the local talent. We use established ISO practices and only build in ISO certified locations. We provide tooling, jigs, etc to the contractor to assure critical tolerances are met. We and most manufacturers, have onsite QA staff. If we had any variance in quality between our domestic, Chinese, Malay or Mexican production facilities we would know it immediately.

I think if you really did some research, you would be surprised what products you favor are actually made in the USA.

That being said, if foreign governments continue to manipulate their currencies and weaken the dollar, you may get your wish for made in the USA sooner than you expect. I would be fine with that.

I have the stock tranny and clutch on my 350. No problems as of yet. Is first gear a little short? Yes. I have tracked my car many times. At Spring Mountain the last two Bashes, Laguna Seca, Sears Point. The car is a blast. Get it on the track. If it breaks you fix it. Life is way to short to worry about what might happen...

Thanks guys, that all gives me a little more comfort to get the car on the track and drive it more aggressively around otherwise. Also, nobody on the ZR1 TDB is concerned at all about a Mexican Tremec, and no failures reported that they know of, so guess I will take a chill pill and just enjoy them. :happy feet:

DubbsFaris said: "Mike- im (sic) unimpressed with your knowledge of transmission manufacturing. While your dissatisfaction with the Chinese mt82 is valid, faulting the Tremec, which is used in many performance applications not limited to Ford is a near bullet proof tranny. It is reliable to well over 1000hp, and if you troll the gt500 forums, I challenge you to find more than an isolated case of one breaking out of the what, 70k gt500 made to date?"

Sorry I don't meet your expectations, I will endeavor to improve.... :worship:

But, are you saying the Mexican Tremec in the GT500s is just as good as the Magnum XL being discussed here?

And continued: "As for Shelby swapping the mt82? Hmmm, there is only so much you can do aftermarket in volume production."

Not sure I understand your logic here, so swapping out an inferior tranny for the hand full of GT350s they make is "volume" production and thus impossible for SAI to accomplish?

LMAO- I figured I was poking the bear here, but you keep lumping the Tremec with the MT82, and the Tremec is as solid a tranny as it gets. Its in the Gt500, its in your Vette. Thats why I put the challenge to you to find one that has actually broke, because they are damn near bullet proof! They are what you want. You wont find complaints.

Now, if you are asking if it is better than Magnum XL? No it is not, its a production tranny, and the XL is a custom built tranny.

If you are asking would I replace my Tremec with an XL? Only if I needed to replace my tranny, but at HP and TQ under 850, it would not be necessary until it finally gives out, whatever that mileage number will be, but I suspect the tranny will last me past 100k at my mod level.

If you are asking if you replace the mt82 on the gt350 with the tremec or the xl, well, you might as well go with the best and be done with it, get the xl for roughly the same money anyway, right?

Im just surprised since you have a vette with a tremec, you werent already very familiar with how much better than your gt350 tranny it is.

Its a great tranny, made in mexico, or a sweatshop of little kids in singapore, or a bunch of overpaid union workers in mid america, its made right just the way it is. Im betting your vette never has a tranny issue either.

As for the 350 getting it upgraded at shelby? See conversations on griggs suspensions and just about every other part, ad nauseum....im not saying they shouldnt do it. Im just saying they dont and that is the reason why if you are wondering. I didnt get to sit on that discussion and vote.

Thanks Dubbs, I know now I should have done my homework better for the GT350, as I did with the ZR1 (but I still didn't know the Tremec was built in Mexico, they never disclosed that on the build sheets or specs I saw as it was being built, BTW I built the LS9 engine in it, so I know what was in that). I had always considered the Tremec the best, but was clueless about where any are built, made too many assumptions without checking, as Tremec is not upfront about that anyway, not easy to find that info. I also just assumed Ford used Tremecs in their GT Mustangs, as all new performance cars seem to have them (Camaro, Challenger, etc.), big mistake on my part. I should have checked, but since Shelby offered no upgrade on that, unlike the upgrades on 70% of the whole car otherwise, I thought the tranny was as good as it could be, big mistake I know now. Anyway, you live and learn, and as I am interested in getting a new Viper, I will be checking very closely now, seems they have Mexican Tremecs too. Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it.

:thumbsup:

I was surprised that you didnt know about the transmissions based on the fact you have a considerable knowledge on cars, new cars and old classics, and you dont fall into the branding trap like so many. But, if you didnt, my guess would be there are MANY GT350 owners that dont either, and this might just end up being one of the most valuable threads in this section.

I cant imagine how great the 350 is with a proper transmission, but Michael, Im expecting a ride along next event we are at!

You got it! I was supposed to be out with my GT350 in God's Country (Texas Hill Country, San Antonio, Boerne, Fredricksburg, Kerrville, Austin, etc.) all this week on the Texas 1000 Road Rally with my friends, some of who have some trashy foreign cars like the McLaren MP4-12C... :lol:, I know I could beat . But our 18 year old cat is about to pass so we had to stay home to get her comfy and care for her. But looks like mucho rain this week around there? Cheers!

You got it! I was supposed to be out with my GT350 in God's Country (Texas Hill Country, San Antonio, Boerne, Fredricksburg, Kerrville, Austin, etc.) all this week on the Texas 1000 Road Rally with my friends, some of who have some trashy foreign cars like the McLaren MP4-12C... :lol:, I know I could beat . But our 18 year old cat is about to pass so we had to stay home to get her comfy and care for her. But looks like mucho rain this week around there? Cheers!

Last Thursday morning we got a foot of rain. A foot. I live in the hill country, and 99% of the time its great, but when it rains, we sit and watch all the low water crossings. Yeah- lots of rain the last week or so, and more on the way the next few days. Next time then!

It would be interesting to know what the Tremec does to a 624HP GT350 with regards to 1/4 mile times vs a similar GT350 with the Getrag.

I don't get out on the track at all, but do have areas where I can safely goose it on the straights.

Therefore, inquiring minds and all that.

Archived