TEAM SHELBY FORUM

options and resale value

J.J.

Just wanted to see what some of you thought about options on the 08. wanted to go with black on black tungston stripe. Now I have to go with vapour stripe. Not sure when Ford SVT website will change to reflect 08s to see what the change will look like. I know a lot of you like the red inserts on interior. I'm not crazy about it. The 500 sound system ok for me. The only sound I want to here is the engine. The new headlights are ok but it will not be a daily driver and driven at nite very little. The nav. system OK but really don't need. Do you think if I were to sell later on that not getting some of these options might make it hard to sell. Or would their be enough buyers that look at the options the same way I do. I would like some feed back as I will be ordering in 1-2 weeks. Live in Vancouver B.C. thanks!

+1

I don't completely agree. Personally I like cars that have most if not all options. When I am shopping for a used car and it doesn't have things like "heads up display" or a sunroof or other options that were available, it can mean the difference between buying or passing it up. Granted the GT500 will not be a car that you will have lots to choose from in the future but still, most collectors tend to like a high optioned car. The one option that I would not pay a lot for is navigation. Technology changes so fast, this option could be obsolete in no time and virtually useless.

JJ I sent you a PM

Just wanted to see what some of you thought about options on the 08. wanted to go with black on black tungston stripe. Now I have to go with vapour stripe. Not sure when Ford SVT website will change to reflect 08s to see what the change will look like. I know a lot of you like the red inserts on interior. I'm not crazy about it. The 500 sound system ok for me. The only sound I want to here is the engine. The new headlights are ok but it will not be a daily driver and driven at nite very little. The nav. system OK but really don't need. Do you think if I were to sell later on that not getting some of these options might make it hard to sell. Or would their be enough buyers that look at the options the same way I do. I would like some feed back as I will be ordering in 1-2 weeks. Live in Vancouver B.C. thanks!

I would option it out the way you want and not look back. In my opinion, you won't have any problem unloading a factory 500 hp car in the future. Especially looking forward at how quickly things will be moving to hybrid and alternate technology.

I think the way you care for it and maintain it will have a much greater impact on resale value.

Just my uneducated opinion.

HSURB

If you go by history (muclecars of the 60's/ 70's)

the add on options that have nothing to do with performance will add none. (performance options on a musclecar are the only options that will add value(we are not buying a lincoln here , I would have to say the gt500 fits as a muscle car!)

if fact any option that will add weight or slow down the car might actually hurt

Not really to many options here that I feel will add or hurt value,That being said.

Get it the way you are happy!!

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered my 2008 Vert with everything but Nav and Sat Radio. Several reasons for me, but most obvious is that it technology for today and changes so quickly that I see them both short lived. Meaning, navigation systems, if you need one, get better every year, and smaller and cheaper, thus easy to use aftermarket if need be. Sat Radio, again, how much music are you going to listen to and for a monthly price. Take it one step further, if you are holding on to you car as an investment for years to come, both those options will be so outdated, and more than likely the first to be non-functional. All else is good to go, forever! Just my thoughts and how I ordered.

I ordered my 2008 Vert with everything but Nav and Sat Radio. Several reasons for me, but most obvious is that it technology for today and changes so quickly that I see them both short lived. Meaning, navigation systems, if you need one, get better every year, and smaller and cheaper, thus easy to use aftermarket if need be. Sat Radio, again, how much music are you going to listen to and for a monthly price. Take it one step further, if you are holding on to you car as an investment for years to come, both those options will be so outdated, and more than likely the first to be non-functional. All else is good to go, forever! Just my thoughts and how I ordered.

While I totally agree that you should option it out the way YOU want it, I have to disagree with the "technology" reasoning for NOT ordering certain options. A few years ago while I was searching for a 66-67 GTO, the ones with the factory 8-track were bringing more money than those without, other options and conditions equal. Try finding some tunes on 8-track these days.

While I totally agree that you should option it out the way YOU want it, I have to disagree with the "technology" reasoning for NOT ordering certain options. A few years ago while I was searching for a 66-67 GTO, the ones with the factory 8-track were bringing more money than those without, other options and conditions equal. Try finding some tunes on 8-track these days.

+1

IMO, my experience with collector cars is that the more optioned from the factory the rarer it usually becomes among a sea of similars 30 to 40 years later. Even optioning to remove a standard item (i.e., stripe delete) will and can make the difference a collector is looking for for very particular reasons of the same. That said, I believe I would opt for the Shaker 1000 in lieu of the Navigation, assuming we will always have some type of free airwave to listen to, and I understand you can't have both. I would expect to have technology affect the Nav system much more than a radio. I also opted for the premium interior, albeit with the red leather insert but feel that it also heavily depends on the exterior color to make any sense. Either way you order this car, I guarantee you it will be secondary to the rush of driving it. Speaking of 8 tracks, I think I still have some locked up somewhere :hysterical2::hysterical2:

So let me ask this.... do you guys think less options will reduce resale or mods? I think if you keep the car original that fetches more in the long run regardless of options rather than one that has mods made! Just my thoughts, yours?

So let me ask this.... do you guys think less options will reduce resale or mods? I think if you keep the car original that fetches more in the long run regardless of options rather than one that has mods made! Just my thoughts, yours?

I guess we'll just have to drive & enjoy them for the next :shift: 20 years to find out !!!!!!

Geeze... who knows ANYTHING about what will happen in the future. Just buy the car you want, with the options you want, and be happy already! If you're so hung up on long term prices of the car and the returns it'll bring that you're better off investing in a quality diversified portfolio of stocks, mutuals and goat farms!

j/k on the goat farms... everyone knows Dave has the monopoly on that industry!

Did I say I was worried or HUNG UP? Just a simple question, asking for thoughts.... as a FORUM of people who care.... if you don't then simply move on to the next topic!!! I am very happy to have my order in, but there are many guys out there asking this question!!! So it does have a following, more so when guys are ordering cars every day!

Archived