TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2014 Z28 at Nurburgring

BAD SNAKE

The Z28 without a doubt is one bad mamba jamba. That is just outright impressive. But inside, it is still the same plastic Camaro..... The '15 GT500 will not be able to compete since there will be no such thing, but no worries, Ford Racing/SVT has something up their sleaves! he....hee..... :bliss::whistling:

144 mph on the back straight and 161 mph on the main is pretty impressive. Did you hear the car get light coming over the hills? That suspension unloaded a couple of times and he was searching for grip in a straight line. Also had a few impressive recoveries including at the end when he caught up to the rain. That driver has some balls!

What motor and hp does that Camaro have? I saw 161 mph once and 7000 rpms a couple of times in the video. Kinda looked like he was bouncing off a speed limiter at 160 or so. I believe a 13/14 GT-500 could have hit more than 160 on that long straight.

Nurburgring is fantastic, I did laps in a rental car there a few times 10 years ago while TDY in Frankfurt for OEF/ OIF. We'd go to the Frankfurt Airport, rent an nice sedan and head that way. One of our pilots drove Formula Fords out in the mid-west and if you flew with him you could plan on a trip to Nurburgring during extended crewrests.

Hard to believe there are places in the world where you just drive in off the street and then the next minute you're doing a lap around Nurburgring. No inspections or anything. They believe in personal responsibility. You'd be whizzing around at 120+ mph and come up on a tour bus, SUV, or station wagon with a family going half your speed in the outside lane on track. Then a Porsche or other European Supercar would come blasting by you doing 150+. Also lot's of Super Bikes doing track time. Once on the way to the track while on an unlimited section of the autobahn, we had a 5 Series BMW and were doing 240 kph (about 150 mph) at one point and a bike passed us like we were sitting still. He had to have 30 or 40 mph overtake speed.

Nurburgring is fantastic, I did laps in a rental car there a few times 10 years ago while TDY in Frankfurt for OEF/ OIF. We'd go to the Frankfurt Airport, rent an nice sedan and head that way. One of our pilots drove Formula Fords out in the mid-west and if you flew with him you could plan on a trip to Nurburgring during extended crewrests.

Hard to believe there are places in the world where you just drive in off the street and then the next minute you're doing a lap around Nurburgring. No inspections or anything. They believe in personal responsibility. You'd be whizzing around at 120+ mph and come up on a tour bus, SUV, or station wagon with a family going half your speed in the outside lane on track. Then a Porsche or other European Supercar would come blasting by you doing 150+. Also lot's of Super Bikes doing track time. Once on the way to the track while on an unlimited section of the autobahn, we had a 5 Series BMW and were doing 240 kph (about 150 mph) at one point and a bike passed us like we were sitting still. He had to have 30 or 40 mph overtake speed.

This is a bucket list item for me. The hard decision would be to go two wheels or four. I've got a lot more track time on a bike than in a car so I'd probably lean towards two wheels. I saw 183 mph on my old track bike once at Road Atlanta. It was crazy fast, but really puts the MotoGP bikes into perspective as they can top out over 215 mph. If I had the money/time, I'd love to ship my Shelby over to Europe for a month and you can bet I'd be at the Nurburgring for at least a day running lap after lap after lap.

BTW - Where in SC are you? I'm just outside of Charlotte, NC.

500hp 7.0L 427, dry sump, carbon-ceramic brakes, DSSV Dampeners, no A/C, ~3800lbs.

I'm very impressed by the Z28 and would gladly park one in my garage. The ZL1 is a bad attempt to mimmic a GT500, but the Z28 stands on it own.

Oh, and its possible the driver doesn't have any balls. Mrs. Schmidz is arguably the best hotshoe around the ring.

This is a bucket list item for me. The hard decision would be to go two wheels or four. I've got a lot more track time on a bike than in a car so I'd probably lean towards two wheels. I saw 183 mph on my old track bike once at Road Atlanta. It was crazy fast, but really puts the MotoGP bikes into perspective as they can top out over 215 mph. If I had the money/time, I'd love to ship my Shelby over to Europe for a month and you can bet I'd be at the Nurburgring for at least a day running lap after lap after lap.

BTW - Where in SC are you? I'm just outside of Charlotte, NC.

I'm down in Charleston. Nurburgring was definitely a bucket list item and a blast. Really, really, really would have loved to have had a Shelby GT-500 over there just to drive on their autobahns. I'm "chip'ed and pulley'ed" so 180+ on the super smooth and wide autobahn would be a breeze.

Heading over to Florence this weekend for a Mustang/Ford Show. Here's the flyer: http://nebula.wsimg.com/d386e4ff5b67139d4c4d8911aeae57c5?AccessKeyId=7AA7F955D6D35D971074&disposition=0

Normally I'd drive my 1970 Mach 1 over but gotta do a little mx on it so I'll scrub up my daily driver, the Shelby GT-500, and head on over Saturday morning. Should swing down and join us. :salute:

Oh, and its possible the driver doesn't have any balls. Mrs. Schmidz is arguably the best hotshoe around the ring.

Sabine? Yeah.... she's fast. Doesn't hurt that she grew up lapping the Nurburgring. There is not an inch of that track she does not know.

I'm down in Charleston. Nurburgring was definitely a bucket list item and a blast. Really, really, really would have loved to have had a Shelby GT-500 over there just to drive on their autobahns. I'm "chip'ed and pulley'ed" so 180+ on the super smooth and wide autobahn would be a breeze.

Heading over to Florence this weekend for a Mustang/Ford Show. Here's the flyer: http://nebula.wsimg.com/d386e4ff5b67139d4c4d8911aeae57c5?AccessKeyId=7AA7F955D6D35D971074&disposition=0

Normally I'd drive my 1970 Mach 1 over but gotta do a little mx on it so I'll scrub up my daily driver, the Shelby GT-500, and head on over Saturday morning. Should swing down and join us. :salute:

Short notice for me, plus rain is in the forecast up here on Saturday. Next time I'm in Chuck-town, I'll let you know.

500hp 7.0L 427, dry sump, carbon-ceramic brakes, DSSV Dampeners, no A/C, ~3800lbs.

I'm very impressed by the Z28 and would gladly park one in my garage. The ZL1 is a bad attempt to mimmic a GT500, but the Z28 stands on it own.

I was thinking the same. It's amazing to see Sabine drive that track :worship:

Archived