TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Having a problem I need some advice/input on. A few days ago my GT500 overheated out of nowhere. I had the car towed to a local mechanic and he looked at it and noticed that the thermostat was stuck closed and no coolant was flowing. So we got a new thermostat and I went on my way. A few days later the car overheated again. This time I dropped it off for a few days and he couldn't replicate the problem. So I had him double check and flush the cooling system and double check his work and the car was running fine. I picked up the car a few days later and 15 mins after I picked up the car, it overheated again, I turned right around and took it back and finally he noticed the cooling fan in front of the motor wasn't turning on. He plugged in his computer to the car and noticed that the computer wasn't telling the fan to turn on at a certain temperature, also the fan wasn't turning on when the AC was turned on. Apparently it's supposed to turn on right off the bat if the AC is turned on.

So I left it there again and he checked over all the wiring and fuses and everything and couldn't find a problem so he determined it was the ECU. However, I just drove the car again today and all the fans are turning on fine and the car runs great. I trust my mechanic but this has both of us stumped and he suggsted I look online and get some input from the rest of the Shelby community before I spend a $1k on a ECU.

Current mods on the car: Lethal Performance Catted X-Pipe, 2.5inch Pulley, Steeda CAI, McLeod Twin Disc RXT Clutch, John Lund Tune.

Also, I'd like to mention that every once in a while when I punch the gas, my car will go into "fail safe mode" and the computer will say the throttle was stuck open or stuck closed and thats what caused it to go into fail safe mode. I read online it could be from the tune. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

-Josh

It may be in the tune. I would download the stock tune and run it for awhile. Just stay out of the boost with that 2.6" pulley. GL.

I have a question before I try this out this evening. Will I have any check engine lights come on with the car with the stock tune? Anything I should be worried about loading a stock tune on a modified car?

I would not think so as long as you drive it easy and don't build boost. I would just run around town in it to see if the fan kicks on like it's supposed to. If it works then downloading a new or revised tune is a lot better than paying for an ECU.

I would not think so as long as you drive it easy and don't build boost. I would just run around town in it to see if the fan kicks on like it's supposed to. If it works then downloading a new or revised tune is a lot better than paying for an ECU.

Understood. Thanks for your help. I'll be back in a few days.

So the car would barely run with the stock tune. It would start up nice and loud then start to struggle, almost sounded as if it was cammed. I never let it get to the point to where it would stall. So I put the Lethal Performance Jon Lund tune back on the car and it seems to be running fine. I started it up this morning and the front fan didn't turn on but I was told it wouldn't turn on unless the motor got to 190 degrees or higher. I turned on the AC and the fan kicked in and stayed on after I turned the AC off. The car was still cold.

yeah, you definitely should NOT try to run the stock tune on a 2007-2009 car modded with any of the following: cold-air intake, pulley, long-tube headers or cat deletes. all of those will cause the car to run extra lean, if at all.

Thanks man. I'm still trying to figure out why my fan doesn't turn on sometimes. Any ideas?

Hopefully reloading your Lund tune took care of it. Maybe for some reason there was a glitch or something. If you have a SCT tuner you can set your fan settings yourself. This should be done when using a Reische 170* thermostat for example.

Archived