TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Watts Links and Convertibles

Shipwright

I'm currently looking to purchase either a Cortex or Whiteline Watts Link for my '08 GT500 Convertible. The manufacturers state that they are for Coupes only. The question I have, is that due to the additional rear supports that are unique to the Convertibles? Will they fit if the braces are removed (they're being junked anyway as they have to go when I install my BMR chassis braces).

I'm currently looking to purchase either a Cortex or Whiteline Watts Link for my '08 GT500 Convertible. The manufacturers state that they are for Coupes only. The question I have, is that due to the additional rear supports that are unique to the Convertibles? Will they fit if the braces are removed (they're being junked anyway as they have to go when I install my BMR chassis braces).

Fay2 Watts has a convert. set-up.

Post number 2 in the link below even includes a convert. w/bracing installed..........

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/63725-fays2-watts-link-anyone-using-this/page-1

R

Fay2 Watts has a convert. set-up.

Post number 2 in the link below even includes a convert. w/bracing installed..........

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/63725-fays2-watts-link-anyone-using-this/page-1

R

Thanks for the link and information, however I'm more interested in the set-up made by Cortex or Whiteline. Can anyone else answer my question?

Hey Shipwright, I thought you already have a watts link?

I do, it's a Saleen unit I'm thinking of swapping it out because 1) I think it's making noises, 2) For some reason it's ssllowwwllllyyy seems to be shifting the axle over to the drivers side of the car. 3) The Cortex or Whiteline units are stonger, lighter and more impportantly they are fully adjustable.

Although I wasn't going to mention it till later, once it's replaced I'll carefully inspect the Saleen Watts link, make any minor repairs (chase threads) if necessary and sell the unit to someone from the club.

As an aside, I just got an e-mail from Whiteline confirming that the braces on the convertibles are the reason that it's for the Coupes. Having said that so was the Saleen unit, but once the rear of the car was lowered by about 1-1/2 inches there was no problem clearing the braces, so I might get lucky again. Either way once I get a set of BMR chassis stiffeners welded in the braces will have to go.

I have the Griggs Watts link on my car and there were some clearance issues with the install, Primary one was the spare tire tub that was the issue, since we dont have a spare, the installer just cut back the area a little , fitted a new panel, allowing the watts to clear, not sure why it was dfferent from the coupes but it was - we left the braces in, which created an issue for the rear sway bar - at the time, it was just left off and has been fine without it ( cleared by Bruce Griggs himself) - they have since re-engineered the rear sway bar for convertibles but again, ended up being an non issue with the Watts link. (they did go through the interation of installing the sway bar but taking out the vert braces - said it was not good at all)

been on for a number of years now, without a doubt the best modification I have made to my car

Dave

we left the braces in, which created an issue for the rear sway bar - at the time, it was just left off and has been fine without it ( cleared by Bruce Griggs himself)

I assume that you mean you left the Chassis braces in but left the swaybar off?

they have since re-engineered the rear sway bar for convertibles but again, ended up being an non issue with the Watts link. (they did go through the interation of installing the sway bar but taking out the vert braces - said it was not good at all)

I again assume that you mean that removing the Chassis braces off "not good at all"?

been on for a number of years now, without a doubt the best modification I have made to my car

Absolutely agree. A Watts Link, any Watts Link, should could as standard equipment in these cars.

Dave

Sorry - I guess I should have been a little clearer when I wrote the response - yes, we ended up keeping the vert bracing on, and not using a rear sway bar - in fact, Griggs only modified a sway bar because some people kept asking for it, but they were adamant that it is not needed with the Watts, just needless additional weight

after several years on the street and several trips to the race track, have experienced no negative issues at all

Sorry - I guess I should have been a little clearer when I wrote the response - yes, we ended up keeping the vert bracing on, and not using a rear sway bar - in fact, Griggs only modified a sway bar because some people kept asking for it, but they were adamant that it is not needed with the Watts, just needless additional weight

after several years on the street and several trips to the race track, have experienced no negative issues at all

Thank you for the clarification.

Archived