TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Unbelievable.....

FordRocks1

You may want to check your usaa policy for their repair terms. If they will pay for oem parts you may want to go through usaa to have the car fixed and then have usaa deal directly with suing State Farm. This process is going to get ugly with lawyers involved and the car won't be getting fixed anytime soon. A big motivator is to move the car to a non-state farm preffered shop, the shop will be charging storage fees for everyday the car sits on the lot and insurance companies hate paying that. Most preferred shops aren't allowed to charge storage fees. I had an 85 Monte Carlo ss, the VIN number was 000001 and that was saving grace of it being a "collector" car so I went through this exact process. I used my insurance and the claim wasn't settled for nearly 18 months.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You may want to check your usaa policy for their repair terms. If they will pay for oem parts you may want to go through usaa to have the car fixed and then have usaa deal directly with suing State Farm. This process is going to get ugly with lawyers involved and the car won't be getting fixed anytime soon. A big motivator is to move the car to a non-state farm preffered shop, the shop will be charging storage fees for everyday the car sits on the lot and insurance companies hate paying that. Most preferred shops aren't allowed to charge storage fees. I had an 85 Monte Carlo ss, the VIN number was 000001 and that was saving grace of it being a "collector" car so I went through this exact process. I used my insurance and the claim wasn't settled for nearly 18 months.

USAA allows OEM, my son was just in an accident last month in his car. I was on travel and told my wife to tell the adjuster only OEM parts, no salvage or aftermarket. The USAA adjuster told her that they would only use OEM and that it was against USAA policy to use salvage parts.

USAA allows OEM, my son was just in an accident last month in his car. I was on travel and told my wife to tell the adjuster only OEM parts, no salvage or aftermarket. The USAA adjuster told her that they would only use OEM and that it was against USAA policy to use salvage parts.

I have USAA as well and thought that was their policy but wasn't sure if they have different policies, etc... and didn't want to raise anyone's hopes with wrong info.

Have you spoken to your USAA rep yet? Trust me, it is in there best interest to have your car fixed properly also. They should help you here. I talked to Grundy about what they would do in this case. They said that they would get my car in the shop and have it fixed no questions asked, right away to their standards and they would go after State Farm. He said that they win that battle every time when their insured get this kind of hassle.

I have Grundy on my Shelby for stated value. It is the way to go. This is not the first I have heard of State Farm giving people a hard time and it won't be the last.

The physician and her husband are apparently over 20+ years plus SF customers and actually questioned SF as to why my SGT is not being fixed with OEM parts and SF just keeps going in a loop stating its their policy. At this point the physician will out of her pocket supplement the difference.

Going through USAA wouldn't have been to my advantage either as my policy only covers aftermarket parts and recycled parts based on what I chose years ago while I was on Active Duty. I now have changed my policy for future mishaps and obviously pay a little bit higher premium now but at the end of the day I'll get all OEM parts if readily available.

I've learned quite a bit about insurances during this past week...Once again folks, please read your policy in depth. Now, hopefully the body shop will fix my SGT up to my standards.....that's another hurdle I'll need to deal with.

I have a body shop and I deal with insurance companies everyday! Everyone is different as far as what kind of aftermarket parts they will figure in a estimate. When it comes to oem, they will usually only figure those for vehicles 3 years old or newer unless on an older vehicle their company policy is no aftermarket or if there are no used parts to be found for the vehicle being repaired. You might try contacting the insurance commission and let them know what is going on and what your car is! I don't know that it will do any good but it's another avenue to try!!!.

My SGT is at a place that is not a SF "preferred" shop in which I can only hope the end result will be to my liking. The only issue is that SF will not guarantee the work since I chose to use a shop other than theirs. The body shop did put in writing the workmanship is guaranteed for life but the paint job itself is for 1 year. The Job is going to take approx. 3 weeks per the estimate.

Thank you all for the advice and I'm glad to be part of a tight knit group who looks out for each other.

That's my personal nightmare.... nothing you can do, it's just unthinkable. Seeing the damage, the first thing that comes to mind for me is, time for the widebody conversion. That would replace virtually every part damaged. Just a thought and my .02¢.

+1 ... a great way to give your car a re-birth of sorts.

The physician and her husband are apparently over 20+ years plus SF customers and actually questioned SF as to why my SGT is not being fixed with OEM parts and SF just keeps going in a loop stating its their policy. At this point the physician will out of her pocket supplement the difference.

Going through USAA wouldn't have been to my advantage either as my policy only covers aftermarket parts and recycled parts based on what I chose years ago while I was on Active Duty. I now have changed my policy for future mishaps and obviously pay a little bit higher premium now but at the end of the day I'll get all OEM parts if readily available.

I've learned quite a bit about insurances during this past week...Once again folks, please read your policy in depth. Now, hopefully the body shop will fix my SGT up to my standards.....that's another hurdle I'll need to deal with.

I was just going to suggest that you politely ask her if she would be willing to pay the difference. She is a Physician after all and most likely gets paid $200,000 plus so it really wouldn't bankrupt her to make this ugly situtation right.

She sounds like a good person and she is doing the RIGHT thing.

I am going to meet with my State Farm agent and show him this thread and ask him "what would happen to my Shelby or Boss in this situation"

The 1 year guarantee on the paint is all any of the major brands Dupont, PPG, Sikens will put on there product. I agree with Nordic on the gal that hit you about her wanting to make your car right....Nice to see that there are still good people in this world! Goodluck with everything!!!

Any bad experiences with Grundy or Hagerty?

After reading this thread I will be switching my SGT from SF to one of the above.

The difference is Third Party liability is handled different from First Party damage. Your SGT is fine with SF ...I've already tested those waters with my own car damage 2 years ago with SF!!

Especially if you are hit by another party with a cut rate carrier, that is when you want SF to go to for your own damage and let them subrogate against the guilty party. You will always get OEM parts and Lifetime Guarantee on the damage repair....and I intend to own this one for a long, long time.

The OP has the option of doing the same and going thru USAA since they too have similar benefits to Customers/Policy holders.

Andy

Stop all the pattycake!! Bring your car where you want and have it repaired the way you want it repaired. It's your car that was hit!! They are responsible. Your shop will then send her insurance the bill.

Yeah, i agree. It doesn't matter what THEIR insurance adjuster says the damage will cost to repair, it matters what the actual cost of repairing it is.

I've used the Ins. Co.'s "preferred repair facility" before (to avoid the hassle of paying out of pocket deductible, to get their guaranty, etc.) and feel I got screwed EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Never again.

Phill

oh holy chit.

i would have been a basket case. how you didnt tear her up is far far beyond me. my condolences. believe it or not Gieco was very good to me when i bounced of a stationary object. dealer had mine for a month nad i had to drive 45 miles each eay to go visit the car and 3 times i was going to pick it up and went home without is as i was not satisfied. the ins co was good. the dealer.. ill never go back to.

damn i almost teared up when i saw your pics.

Archived