TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Unbelievable.....

FordRocks1

Ouch, time will tell, but I don't see it back as it was. Been there with a vehicle, although close, it still shows of work done.

Sorry for the bad news, but it's better to be hopeful knowing it will be a battle.

My vehicle went to a top rated shop with lifetime warranty. If I was "more than" dissatisfied, I would have sold the vehicle. I kept it and still have great time with it.

Like I said, time will tell.

Good Luck, be persistent, don't settle for second rate.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the hints fellas. As much as I'd like to have a wide body kit installed I just can't see these body shops down here doing it "correctly". The body shop I'm going to use is definitely out of either USAA and SF's circle. It's a shop that deals with lots of custom cars, it's not in the best area but their outcome from what I've seen is very nice. Everyone at work is telling me to just repair it and sell it but some just don't understand it's meaning to me.

One thing that I'm getting mixed answers is, will the whole car need to be painted or just let them try to blend the new paint with the old.....people say there is no paint like factory.....

A couple folks beat me to the wide body suggestion and the "cash out" option. That way you can get who you want to repair it, and add some upgrades at the same time. Kind of the "when life gives you lemons, make lemonaid" analogy.

Maybe ViperNC can chime in, but even if you don't take the cash out option, I still think you have the right to take the car where you want to get it fixed....it is YOUR car. Her insurance may not cover the difference between your shops cost, and their shops estimate, but that would be a small price to pay to make sure it's done right, and for better peace of mind (IMO).

Z-man

Thanks for the hints fellas. As much as I'd like to have a wide body kit installed I just can't see these body shops down here doing it "correctly". The body shop I'm going to use is definitely out of either USAA and SF's circle. It's a shop that deals with lots of custom cars, it's not in the best area but their outcome from what I've seen is very nice. Everyone at work is telling me to just repair it and sell it but some just don't understand it's meaning to me.

One thing that I'm getting mixed answers is, will the whole car need to be painted or just let them try to blend the new paint with the old.....people say there is no paint like factory.....

There is no paint like factory, we can do SO much better. I would insist the entire car be painted. We have a Shelby wide body conversions in our shop right now - headed to SEMA. I'm not sure where "down here" is, but I can have it picked up and dropped right back in your driveway. Our shop handles this type of thing all day, its rated in the top 10 of all shops in the country and I would oversee the entire job. If you want to trade it in after the work, I can handle that too and we have a nice selection of cars on the showroom to choose from. But believe me, once you see your car with the wide body conversion all cleaned up... you won't want a new car.

A couple folks beat me to the wide body suggestion and the "cash out" option. That way you can get who you want to repair it, and add some upgrades at the same time. Kind of the "when life gives you lemons, make lemonaid" analogy.

Maybe ViperNC can chime in, but even if you don't take the cash out option, I still think you have the right to take the car where you want to get it fixed....it is YOUR car. Her insurance may not cover the difference between your shops cost, and their shops estimate, but that would be a small price to pay to make sure it's done right, and for better peace of mind (IMO).

Z-man

Absolutely. Where you have the car repaired is your choice in most states if not all states.

I had some similar damage a few years back, they replaced the whole panel.
Make sure you check your shocks, I don't care what the shop says, both my rears where leaking like crazy after the accident and the shop that did the work tried to say I hit a pothole after I left the shop.
Also really really inspect the paint job while your there. mine had a ton of over spray and I made them redo everything.
And lastly, check your trunk when you get the car back. The shop mine was at took the trunk off, put it on the concrete and then it looks like they drug it around the shop, because every corner that was touching the ground was chipped and missing paint.

post-25716-0-43043700-1379822703_thumb.jpg

post-25716-0-43043700-1379822703_thumb.jpg

Ugg, so sorry to see that. I have a fear of that myself. Florida drivers are the worst! I used to be one also, but I swear the nation's worst drivers congregate in Florida.

Today at the Barrett Jackson/Gaudin car show in Vegas some guy in an SVT F150 backed right into one of the salesman's brand new 2014 Mustang GT.

It was in the show lot so everyone drives slowly and carefully...or at least supposed to. He was clearly pissed but kept his cool

Update: Well SF just did an estimate of damages and concluded about $6500 worth of damages. Quarter panels are to be replaced but not OEM but from "salvage" car parts and tail lights and other parts will not be OEM rather aftermarket.

What am I to do now, it's so frustrating.....all I want is my car back with OEM parts and they are giving me a hard time....

You absolutely do not have to accept non OEM, or NEW parts when they are readily available. I would get your insurance company involved at this point and let them fight for you if they are good. Maybe some other folks here can help???? Did you also talk to them about deminished value?

Diminished Value per SF can only be done once all repairs are done. They were not happy when I asked them about it.

Of course they weren't happy. You just cost them more $$$. JeffJ is correct. Stand your ground. Get YOUR insurance company involved at this point and get the OEM parts. Remember the adjuster from State Farm is doing their job to keep costs down and this works for 99% of all his claims. You're the 1% who knows better and has a car which SHOULD BE FIXED PROPERLY. No exceptions.

I'm sorry, but their JOB is to make you whole again. Part of what they get paid to do is to do that as cheaply as possible. That may work on a Honda Civic, but not here! Non OEM parts, does not make a collector vehicle whole again. Being in an accident with a collector car does not make you whole again! That is why deminished value is a must! Looks like you will have to fight (which is completely wrong and just ticks me off), but you will win. Absolutely contact your insurance company. If they want you, they will help fight for you and your rights. None of this is your fault but they are making it seem like it is!!!

Of course they weren't happy. You just cost them more $$$. JeffJ is correct. Stand your ground. Get YOUR insurance company involved at this point and get the OEM parts. Remember the adjuster from State Farm is doing their job to keep costs down and this works for 99% of all his claims. You're the 1% who knows better and has a car which SHOULD BE FIXED PROPERLY. No exceptions.

I'm sorry, but their JOB is to make you whole again. Part of what they get paid to do is to do that as cheaply as possible. That may work on a Honda Civic, but not here! Non OEM parts, does not make a collector vehicle whole again. Being in an accident with a collector car does not make you whole again! That is why deminished value is a must! Looks like you will have to fight (which is completely wrong and just ticks me off), but you will win. Absolutely contact your insurance company. If they want you, they will help fight for you and your rights. None of this is your fault but they are making it seem like it is!!!

I agree with Viper and Jeff..........stand your ground.

As mentioned before, get your own estimates from 2 or 3 high end shops. Tell them you only want new and oem parts quoted, you may have to pay for the estimates but it will be worth it. The SF rep can't ignore the quotes he'll have to use one of your quotes .

I have a friend that is an adjuster that has given me advice for just the problem you are having. When you start using phrases that adjusters use, they will take notice. You are entitled to replacement parts of " like kind and quality". Used or aftermarket parts are NOT like kind and quality.

Another tactic is... " I don't need this headache and I didn't want to get my lawyer involved, but...."

As I posted before, get your agent to act as as mediator and take the stress of dealing with the SF adjuster away from you.

Okay I am now seriously going to look into different insurance. I had American Family for 20 years and just switched to State Farm last year looks like State Farm is a bad choice. Why does the insurance companies have to act like crooks? Don't they make enough money on all of us?"

Ugg, so sorry to see that. I have a fear of that myself. Florida drivers are the worst! I used to be one also, but I swear the nation's worst drivers congregate in Florida.

Today at the Barrett Jackson/Gaudin car show in Vegas some guy in an SVT F150 backed right into one of the salesman's brand new 2014 Mustang GT.

It was in the show lot so everyone drives slowly and carefully...or at least supposed to. He was clearly pissed but kept his cool

I was standing right there... it was a sickening crunching sound.

Jer

I was told today that SF will not pay to have OEM parts installed unless I pay the difference. I have told SF that I can provide documents as to what the SGT is but to no avail. Funny thing is that the physician supposedly told SF that she wants them to pay to have OEM parts installed and that' she's very upset that they are giving me a hard time. I've mentioned this to SF but to them it does not matter what she says or wants. The only thing that matters is their policy in which due to privacy issues I'm not allow to have a copy. So yes, as much as I didn't want to get a attorney involved I'm left with no other choice. Word of advice, please check your policy as to what you are covered for if you're involved in a accident whether your car will be fixed with Ford OEM parts or "after market"/"recycled" parts.....

Checking your policy is a big yes as to the result. Things like Stated Value options make the difference in cases like this when I have had problems and I have SF. Low cost, base policies yield little support. I would advise that all communications be in writing, not on the phone, with SF, USAA, the physician, etc. If SF wants to know why you will not accept any verbal conversations, tell them that it is for your attorney's records, should you need to use him to get OEM. And I believe OEM can be specified on any repair where the OEM parts are still available, not just collector cars.

Archived