TEAM SHELBY FORUM

$20,000 Shelby Wheels on eBay

shelbymotorsports

Phill,

My problem with this guy is that he makes it harder for the rest of us honest people to get parts when we really need them. Obviously this guy pulled the wool over Jer's eyes to get a deal on these wheels. I'm guessing quite dishoneslty. This is not American Ingenuity to me. Just plain deceitful. I don't know the story of how he got these wheels, but trying to make a profit based on being dishonest is not cool to me and makes it hard for folks who are real and in a real need. It would be nice for this seller to come on here and defend his sale and how he talked Jer out of these wheels, but obviously that is not going to happen.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phill,

My problem with this guy is that he makes it harder for the rest of us honest people to get parts when we really need them. Obviously this guy pulled the wool over Jer's eyes to get a deal on these wheels. I'm guessing quite dishoneslty. This is not American Ingenuity to me. Just plain deceitful. I don't know the story of how he got these wheels, but trying to make a profit based on being dishonest is not cool to me and makes it hard for folks who are real and in a real need. It would be nice for this seller to come on here and defend his sale and how he talked Jer out of these wheels, but obviously that is not going to happen.

Well put Jeff and I agree.

I really don't see how that should make it harder for the rest of us. This guy owns a SuperSnake I assume. As a Supersnake owner, he should be able to pick up the phone and order a set of these wheels as he needs like any owner.

So he tells SA he needs a replacement set, gets them, and lists them on eBay. SA now knows this guy didnt need the parts, and from now on he will not be able to get a replacement part without proof of damage to current part on vehicle.

Simple as that.

I sold my GT350, and I had a set of GT350 wheels I then sold separately with DRs. I did not eBay them, and sold them to a verified GT350 owner at somewhat of a loss. Does that make me a sucker? No, it makes me a good Shelby owner who takes care of his Shelby brothers and sisters when I am in a position to, and make sure I don't allow specific model parts to fall into the hands of non owners.

But what I don't understand is why is a set of Supersnake wheels a big deal? It seems silly to get riled up over one set of wheels getting out. I remember when a KR hood on eBay was a huge deal, and now, well, lets just say its not.

I'm all for free enterprise. You got something to sell and can turn a big profit, good for you. But from what I read, the SS wheels were obtained dishonestly, and that's the part I don't care for. Gives business a bad rep.

I own a Super Snake and I couldn't get an extra set of wheels from SA or SPP. I tried and was told only if it was for warranty or replacement. Send in the damaged wheel in and get a replacement.

I really don't see how that should make it harder for the rest of us. This guy owns a SuperSnake I assume. As a Supersnake owner, he should be able to pick up the phone and order a set of these wheels as he needs like any owner.

So he tells SA he needs a replacement set, gets them, and lists them on eBay. SA now knows this guy didnt need the parts, and from now on he will not be able to get a replacement part without proof of damage to current part on vehicle.

Simple as that.

I sold my GT350, and I had a set of GT350 wheels I then sold separately with DRs. I did not eBay them, and sold them to a verified GT350 owner at somewhat of a loss. Does that make me a sucker? No, it makes me a good Shelby owner who takes care of his Shelby brothers and sisters when I am in a position to, and make sure I don't allow specific model parts to fall into the hands of non owners.

But what I don't understand is why is a set of Supersnake wheels a big deal? It seems silly to get riled up over one set of wheels getting out. I remember when a KR hood on eBay was a huge deal, and now, well, lets just say its not.

You have to admit however, that based on Jer's comment above about not being happy with this buyer, that he was doing somebody a favor. Then immediately they show up on Ebay brand new in wrapper? Sure makes it tough for anybody to trust again. I'm saying it makes it harder for everybody as you know now that Jer will now stick to his guns on needing the damaged part back or whatever. It will make it harder for the nice guys to get a favor when needed, when there are people like this being dishonest about their need. As you know being a business guy, once you try to do somebody a great favor and then you have a tough time getting the knife out of your back, you don't make that mistake again. Seems to be what happened here.

To me its a moral issue, but since when did morality ever get in the way of capitalism? :huh: Bottom line, Jer has been good to me and because of that I feel a sense of loyalty. This character clearly does not.

I actually got to talk with Jer for quite a while on Saturday at the Barrett Jackson car show at Gaudin Ford.

It was great to talk with him about everything Shelby and then some. Great guy.

I can tell you that he is not the type of person to kiss and tell ! Even though it sounded like he wants to on this forum.

Also, was glad to see a very good showing from SA.

They had a completed Raptor, Wide Body SS, Focus and GT 350 on site.

Sorry, no pics from the show.

Obviously this guy pulled the wool over Jer's eyes to get a deal on these wheels. I'm guessing quite dishoneslty.

Jeff, you are ASSUMING. And that's a HUGE assumption too.

I"m basing my opinions on what I've read here, posted by Jer...Nothing more, nothing less. I refuse to read something into his statement that isn't there.

Phill

No, I would never name names.

And I won't change how we treat our owners just because one person did something I consider shady.

Free enterprise has its place, and I won't waste any time on that argument. Back when I relaxed the "must return originals" policy for some things, it was to help people order extra wheels for drag racing, etc... and I want to keep cars OFF of jack stands and out on the road. I can see someone ending up with extras after selling their car, for example, and I can't tell people what to do with their property. But not for INSTANT resale. I'm reasonable, but not totally daft.

Just wanted to share the story, a slice of our lives here at SPP.

Jer

Jer, are you going to tell us whom it is??????????

Seriously?

No, I mean....Are you F*CK*NG SERIOUS?

Do you *really* take Jer for a fool?

Because THAT would be a seriously foolish thing for him, or anyone else at Shelby American to do.

IF he didn't get sued, he certainly would lose all credibility and quite possibly be terminated by the powers that be.

That information is NOT public record nor is it for public knowledge.

I know if *I* were the buyer of those wheels and Jer/SA divulged *my* name...I'd be in a lawyers office in about 2 seconds.

I can not believe the audacity of some people.

Wow <smh>

Phill

Yeah lets see if we can figure out who this bamboon is?

I think the ad stated they were from the East coast.........

Ohhh, cool. A good ole fashioned Witch Hunt.

I learned a long time ago not to point fingers at people unless you know FOR SURE, with 100% certainty and even then...(When you point a finger at someone you have THREE fingers pointed at yourself).

Phill

I don't know the story of how he got these wheels, but trying to make a profit based on being dishonest is not cool to me .......

You say it right there yourself, Jeff. You don't know the story of how he got those wheels.

Neither do I.

The problem *I* have with his/her dishonesty is not how s/he acquired the wheels but rather the BS story s/he posted in the auction description on e-bay.

Very little of it is true, if I have my 'facts' right.

But after all is said and done, is there ANYBODY here the thinks this person will get their $19K for those wheels? I don't think there's a ice cubes chance in hell that those wheels will sell anywhere NEAR that price. I've seen them sell for $5K and <$1K for the centers so $6K wouldn't surprise me. STILL a nice profit if the buyer/seller only paid ~$2000 for the wheels.

And I noticed that NO ONE has or had a problem with those sellers!

Phill

The problem isn't about "free enterprise". It is about dishonesty and rendering a set of limited quantity items to an even more limited number for those that may actually need them later. I didn't say sue the guy to get them back. If he somehow manages to find an idiot willing to pay that much for a set of wheels, then he can sell them. I said to ban him from future aid. Also, if they were his wheels off his SS and then he decided he wanted to sell them, well then that would have been a different story from the beginning. Since he basically conned SAI out of a set of wheels and then got caught, he deserves to be punished. Not to mention the fact that, on a general level, if someone conned you and then came back for something else, would you really trust them? " Fool me once...."

Hey Jer-

looks like the seller is here in Northern NJ

want someone to go pay a visit and personally convey your displeasure? a nice, friendly, personal conversation - face to face - can go a long way

it seems that this guy took advantage - and that's not right, as I'm sure many people would like a set of those rims

Pat

Yeah lets see if we can figure out who this bamboon is?

I think the ad stated they were from the East coast.........

Did someone say witch hunt? Im in!

Look at HIS eBay history. You couldn't ask for an easier profile -

Just kidding.

Phill is right, it doesn't matter.

Jeff, I get what you are saying. I don't disagree, but alas, its just part of the craziness that is Shelby World!

Did someone say witch hunt? Im in!

Look at HIS eBay history. You couldn't ask for an easier profile -

Just kidding.

Phill is right, it doesn't matter.

Jeff, I get what you are saying. I don't disagree, but alas, its just part of the craziness that is Shelby World!

Yea, finding the Lionel Train guy from NJ isn't to difficult! :hysterical:

I hear you brother! See you next week in Terlingua!!

He could go to his lawyer's office but it would be without results. There is no violation of law either criminal or civil. The buyer of the SS rims from SAI did so and is now offering to sell them on a public site. And if someone wishes to express an opinion about him or her it is neither criminal or liable. When the sale was completed there is no expectation of privacy required or implied. Now if someone threatens the person with physical harm etc there could be a violation. But merely talking about the person, and potentially hurting his or her feelings, is not liable. This person chose to sell the rims on a public site at a ridiculious price. If others choose to comment about his personna by trying to take advantage of others on a public site there is no violation. The truth is an affirmative defense in any action of defamation or liable.

Truth

The common law traditionally presumed that a statement was false once a plaintiff proved that the statement was defamatory. Under modern law, a plaintiff who is a public official or public figure must prove falsity as a prerequisite for recovery. Some states have likewise now provided that falsity is an element of defamation that any plaintiff must prove in order to recover. Where this is not a requirement, truth serves as an affirmative defense to an action for libel or slander.

A statement does not need to be literally true in order for this defense to be effective. Courts require that the statement is substantially true in order for the defense to apply. This means that even if the defendant states some facts that are false, if the "gist" or "sting" of the communication is substantially true, then the defendant can rely on the defense.

- See more at: http://injury.findlaw.com/torts-and-personal-injuries/defenses-to-libel-and-slander.html#sthash.vU9QFC9r.dpuf

He could go to his lawyer's office but it would be without results. There is no violation of law either criminal or civil. The buyer of the SS rims from SAI did so and is now offering to sell them on a public site. And if someone wishes to express an opinion about him or her it is neither criminal or liable. When the sale was completed there is no expectation of privacy required or implied. Now if someone threatens the person with physical harm etc there could be a violation. But merely talking about the person, and potentially hurting his or her feelings, is not liable. This person chose to sell the rims on a public site at a ridiculious price. If others choose to comment about his personna by trying to take advantage of others on a public site there is no violation. The truth is an affirmative defense in any action of defamation or liable.

Truth

The common law traditionally presumed that a statement was false once a plaintiff proved that the statement was defamatory. Under modern law, a plaintiff who is a public official or public figure must prove falsity as a prerequisite for recovery. Some states have likewise now provided that falsity is an element of defamation that any plaintiff must prove in order to recover. Where this is not a requirement, truth serves as an affirmative defense to an action for libel or slander.

A statement does not need to be literally true in order for this defense to be effective. Courts require that the statement is substantially true in order for the defense to apply. This means that even if the defendant states some facts that are false, if the "gist" or "sting" of the communication is substantially true, then the defendant can rely on the defense.

- See more at: http://injury.findlaw.com/torts-and-personal-injuries/defenses-to-libel-and-slander.html#sthash.vU9QFC9r.dpuf

Nothing quite compares to Internet legal advice.

The seller has identity protection with eBay. Its not a libel case, its a privacy case. Shelby should not be revealing the identity of any customer, regardless of circumstance. (And they already know this. For some reason, some other folks don't seem to grasp that.)

He may have privacy on ebay, but this is not ebay. And even if he were to prevail he would have to show how he was damaged in order to be made whole.

In my opinion this is not a big deal. In some respects he should be commended. Someone mentioned capitalism. This is the epitome of capitalism. Most people here would have bought the wheels for 1919 if they thought they could flip them shortly for 5 K. He is just asking more.

This train needs to be derailed.

Time to move on and talk cars, specifically Shelby's.

Yup!

Jer

Archived