TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Brakes

39Mustang

Do you plan to have a Sale on the Shelby Extreme brakes again anytime soon? The only other 2 times you did I was out of town and missed it both times. Brakes at that price too good to pass up

We are getting ready to put together a new special. Stay tuned.

Jer

Will do!

Jer

actually I need to be more specific I'm referring to the Shelby/Baer ones and not Wilwood. Been trying to upgrade my rears on my 08 Shelby GT for 2 years but keep missing the Sales

the Red on the Extreme what Red color is this from?

actually I need to be more specific I'm referring to the Shelby/Baer ones and not Wilwood. Been trying to upgrade my rears on my 08 Shelby GT for 2 years but keep missing the Sales

the Red on the Extreme what Red color is this from?

Yup, I knew what you meant.

I don't understand the second part of your question here about the Red, though...

Jer

I'm talking about my 08 Shelby GT not the 13 GT350

YES I know you are referring to the 08 Shelby GT. I am curious to why you would not perfer the Wilwoods on your 08.

There is a reason why Shelby put Wilwoods on your GT350 and not Baers. When I went to the build a GT350 page it doesn't even list Baers as an option.

I see you have a Griggs setup on your 08 so I assume it handles like its on rails. Why wouldn't you want to put the better of the two on your 08?

If I were in the market for a set of Brakes my choice between the two brands would be WILWOOD. Yes I am in the market and will have my Baers for sale as soon I get the Wilwoods.

There is a reason why Shelby put Wilwoods on your GT350 and not Baers. When I went to the build a GT350 page it doesn't even list Baers as an option.

That was a vendor supply issue more than a quality issue. Both companies make fabulous brake sets.

Jer

That was a vendor supply issue more than a quality issue. Both companies make fabulous brake sets.

Jer

Yep but one is always BETTER......LOL

Okay I will stop..........better with Wilwoods.........Okay I really will stop.........LOL

YES I know you are referring to the 08 Shelby GT. I am curious to why you would not perfer the Wilwoods on your 08.

I see you have a Griggs setup on your 08 so I assume it handles like its on rails. Why wouldn't you want to put the better of the two on your 08?

If I were in the market for a set of Brakes my choice between the two brands would be WILWOOD. Yes I am in the market and will have my Baers for sale as soon I get the Wilwoods.

I've driven both and yet the GT350 not as hard but I'll take the Baer's all day long any day! To each his own and I just prefer them

SAI says they switched to Wilwood based on track results and that is not exactly true. I have a friend that works at Baer so I know exactly why SAI chose Wilwood and 'better brakes' has nothing to do with it

What is on yours cause I'm only looking for the rear's Extreme

What color rears do you need?

Jer

What color rears do you need?

Jer

My car is the 08 Shelby GT Vista Blue so my fronts are the Vista Blue Extreme's but I am 100 percent sure you are sold out of the rear Extreme in Vista Blue so my car based on what I did would look good in the rear with Silver or even Red. Yes Red because some accents are done in Red and its hidden under the wheel so it would look fine and I have no issue with 2 different color calipers

My car is the 08 Shelby GT Vista Blue so my fronts are the Vista Blue Extreme's but I am 100 percent sure you are sold out of the rear Extreme in Vista Blue so my car based on what I did would look good in the rear with Silver or even Red. Yes Red because some accents are done in Red and its hidden under the wheel so it would look fine and I have no issue with 2 different color calipers

OK, I'll look for Vista Blue, Silver, or Red for you. I might even have Nickel rear sets.

Jer

OK, I'll look for Vista Blue, Silver, or Red for you. I might even have Nickel rear sets.

Jer

While you are checking is the front splitter from the 08 KR available or only available to KR owners?

I've driven both and yet the GT350 not as hard but I'll take the Baer's all day long any day! To each his own and I just prefer them

SAI says they switched to Wilwood based on track results and that is not exactly true. I have a friend that works at Baer so I know exactly why SAI chose Wilwood and 'better brakes' has nothing to do with it

I have the Baer PRO PLUS on the front. I would crack rotors just about everytime I took it to the track. I do NOT have brake ducts on the SGT so I know that is half the reason why I would crack rotors. I would bed them in correctly........meaning I would go 80 then slam on the brakes, then go 60 and slam on the brakes, then go 40 and slam on the brakes, then drive 5 miles and do it all over again, then I would slam on the brakes to get them really heated up and drive the car for 20 minutes to let them cool down. The very first rotors I did not bed in properly but after the first set I was very religious about doing this correctly. At the track I run Hawk DTC60 pads because the Baer pads wore down by the end of the day.

I also have a leaking caliper and a major clunk on the leaking caliper when I apply the brakes.

I got to know TODD sorta well before he passed away.

I wish I had better experience with my Baers but I have not been happy with the PRO PLUS series from day one. The Pro PLUS are more for street use so I made a mistake by spending a $1,800 on them when I should have bought the Extremes or a set of Wilwoods.

While you are checking is the front splitter from the 08 KR available or only available to KR owners?

Currently, it is available to KR owners only.

Jer

Currently, it is available to KR owners only.

Jer

does anyone have anything similar? Front Splitter and rear brakes about only upgrades I have left I did everything that can be done well almost... stay tuned

I'll know in a day or two. We're suffering some computer system issues here right now...

Jer

I'll know in a day or two. We're suffering some computer system issues here right now...

Jer

let me guess you using Dell's?

It's a larger issue than our local PCs...

Jer

• 1 year later...

Hi

I am a little confused as to a few things with the Shelby brake offerings. first off I see you have 6 piston front and rear brakes made by Baer and 6 piston front, 4 piston rears made by Wilwood - which is the most capable system? I have a 2014 GT500 which I plan to do substantial upgrades to and I would like the best overall braking system available for the car. Secondly since my Shelby has 15" rotors from the factory, am I loosing anything by installing the 14" rotors that come with these brake upgrade kits? or is it possible to substitute 15" rotors on the front and still use the calipers etc. I know I already have 6 piston brembos up front but I would like Shelby branded calipers just for appearances and to upgrade the rear brakes and have the fronts match.

With the Baer/Shelby brakes are the polished calipers still available? or if I went with the Wilwoods, I would want the nickel plated ones if they are available

Hi

I am a little confused as to a few things with the Shelby brake offerings. first off I see you have 6 piston front and rear brakes made by Baer and 6 piston front, 4 piston rears made by Wilwood - which is the most capable system? I have a 2014 GT500 which I plan to do substantial upgrades to and I would like the best overall braking system available for the car. Secondly since my Shelby has 15" rotors from the factory, am I loosing anything by installing the 14" rotors that come with these brake upgrade kits? or is it possible to substitute 15" rotors on the front and still use the calipers etc. I know I already have 6 piston brembos up front but I would like Shelby branded calipers just for appearances and to upgrade the rear brakes and have the fronts match.

With the Baer/Shelby brakes are the polished calipers still available? or if I went with the Wilwoods, I would want the nickel plated ones if they are available

2nazty,

If you go with the Shelby Baer Extremes, you can indeed get matching 15" rotors directly from Baer in Arizona.

Hi

I agree with SVT Naja that it would be better to go with the 15" rotors over the 14".

The 14" will lose 7% braking capability noticed and longer and softer pedal. Not having exact caliper piston diameters I cannot calculate the true effective radius the caliper will have for developing pressure which decides your deceleration rate. Rough number dropping from 15" to 14" is 12 mm or 1/2" - To get the same pressure for equal braking stop is going to take 7% more pedal travel. That extra travel will make vehicle brakes seem weaker. You would not be happy.

DrKSGT

Archived