TEAM SHELBY FORUM

S/C upgrade (Big Boost 550Kit)

Elgin Black

Worth the money- Absolutely!!!!!!!

Problems- I had a belt shred, I added the 10 Rib Whipple Belt, no problems since.

If you do your research you will find problems come when you try to tune it for more power, stick with the Ford Tune and you will be fine.

By the way I highly recommend Tasca, but notice your on the other coast.

Good Luck!!!!!!

Thanks carnut12. I take it the kit doesn't come with the 10 rib belt. Does that come from Whipple? I don't know why the original owner didn't go with upgrade when the s/c was initially installed. He works for the local Ford dealership. I purchased the car from that dealership a couple of years ago with 2700 miles on it. Seems he traded it in on a Taurus. Go figure.

I have the 550 with the standard belt, no issues. I did replace my standard pulleys with billet ones, and added the Shelby Tensioner Support Brace, as well.

Jer

I have the 550 with the standard belt, no issues. I did replace my standard pulleys with billet ones, and added the Shelby Tensioner Support Brace, as well.

Jer

Great point Jer, that is all you need, the 10 Rib may be a little overkill if you want to save a few dollars do what Jer did.

Now does the 10 rib require a different pulley also?

in a word yes. but you run the stock belt with the 10 rib in front of it... it requires a longer "snout" on the blower itself also....

post-25056-0-42689800-1379683746_thumb.jpg

for the record I was shreading belts faster than I could gas up..... after the fourth belt in less than a year I went with the 10 rib! Tasca did all my work and I was told that I had a bad idler pully that was causing the shreading issues. I still wouldn't have been happy with a new pulley so had them continue with the new set up... which I love by the way, it just looks nasty!!!

post-25056-0-42689800-1379683746_thumb.jpg

in a word yes. but you run the stock belt with the 10 rib in front of it... it requires a longer "snout" on the blower itself also....

attachicon.gif10 rib.JPG

for the record I was shreading belts faster than I could gas up..... after the fourth belt in less than a year I went with the 10 rib! Tasca did all my work and I was told that I had a bad idler pully that was causing the shreading issues. I still wouldn't have been happy with a new pulley so had them continue with the new set up... which I love by the way, it just looks nasty!!!

Yup, it does look VERY cool.

Jer

Jer, what billet pulleys did you use?

Metco.

Jer

I had Tasca Ford install the 550 kit and it is a fantastic upgrade from the stock configuration. The car had a few squeeky belts in the beginning but I added the Shelby tensioner support and a new belt and no more noise. Maybe it was a bad batch of belts or the tensioner support fixed it I don't know. That was a couple of years ago and a few thousand miles later.It was the cheap fix and if memory serves there was not 10 rib design at the time. Do it you won't be disapponted. -Kevin

Archived