TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dealership At It Again - GT500 Clone as OEM?!

FordGeek

OK...so I'm browsing through Ebay checking out the Shelby stuff when I come across this ad:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustan...115852635QQrdZ1

Now, I may be completely in the dark, but I really don't think Ford offers a mustang GT with the "Shelby Red Appearance Package". Not only that, they've cropped existing press photos of the red striped GT500 found on the web, and overlaid them on photos of their dealership showroom floor. These guys are nuts - I'm ashamed to live in the same city they do business in. These are the same folks that insisted the market would sustain $100K for the GT500 - Good grief....

Regards,

FordGeek (Joseph)

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What it looks like they did was they took a GT Mustang and made it into a GT500 Clone.

They have the GT Mustang in stock. MSRP on the GT Mustang is $28,325.

There buy it now price is $39,991

That is a fair price for a GT500 Clone that has had all the GT500 exterior parts put on.

The problem I see with what they did is they took the original factory window sticker and then they altered that by adding in the parts they used and listing the prices claiming them to be MSRP prices.

To my knowledge that is illegal!

Only the MANUFACTURER can put an MSRP price on a new vehicle. Any add ons would have to be added to an addendum sticker showing any additional cost as dealer add ons. You can't claim it to be an MSRP price.

If you also noticed someone is way off on their math. They show the MSRP as $42,592

If you were to add all the charges they have listed on that window sticker it all adds up to $44,442

If you took the buy it now price and subtracted that from the $28,325 MSRP price of the GT Mustang itself then they are charging $11,666 for all the add ons. Now if they used all the parts required to make the car look exactly like a GT500 then $11,666 is good price for all that. You could not buy all the parts, labor and paint required to do it yourself for that.

We did one of these as well. It is a red GT Mustang with white stripes. We had the stripes painted on VS using the 3M Vinyl. Painting them on is much more labor intense and cost more than just buying the vinyl stripe kit and putting them on. We charge $12,500 to do the shelby GT500 appearance package which consists of over 40 new parts, plus painting and labor. We use a separate addendum sticker that is placed next to the window sticker. Simular to what SAI does with the Shelby GT.

I wonder how Ford would respond to that if they seen how they doctored up their window sticker like that and how they are listing it as the MSRP price. I don't know what the laws are in Texas pertaining to doing that kind of stuff, but in our State that is definitely illegal to advertise any added mark up as being the MSRP price. If the attorney general in our State seen this we would be looking at some hefty, hefty fines for it!

A dealer can take a new car and add all the mods they want and they can charge anything they want for it, BUT, they have to list all that separate from the MSRP price and show it as dealer add ons. They can not show the add ons as being part of the MSRP (MANUFACTURERS SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE). The dealer is not the manufacturer and that window sticker did not come from Ford that way. They altered it to include the parts they added. Those should be all listed separately on an addendum sticker.

IMHO (In My Humble Opinion)....Let's just say, I wouldn't be doing any business with mr. stubbs there.... We had something like this at the Midland dealership, they had a GT in a very cheap Foose knockoff and were asking $52K for it...and someone bought it.

I had a kid that bought one of their "GT300's" that has the snake emblems and an actual Shelby GT500 rear cap in a parking lot the other night tell some guys all about how they sold him his "Shelby" and how rare it was, that he hasn't seen one since. Someone was giving him a hard time about how his front brakes didn't look at all like the white GT500 sitting across the parking lot (mine) and pointed to me standing about 5 feet away listening quietly and said, well he's got a GT500 convertible. He came over to talk to me and showed me his vehicle. I didn't say much only because I honestly think he got all the BS from the dealer (and he was very proud), he was pretty young. I did quitely show him some of the differences between a real Shelby GT500, and his "dressed up" GT, then a couple guys came up in a new GTO and said to him that his was nothing at all like the white convertible that spanked them so bad. I guess that it is good in a way....if guys have clones and get their doors blown off....it makes for easy pickens for the real ones. Now I wonder if I can order all GT trim for mine??? :hysterical2: I just love BBQ GOAT

Clearly this is a Snakey deal, ah I mean shakey deal, or maybe it's both. I suspect that they must think that there may be a loophole in the law here in Texas that allows full disclsure, which it looks like they have done. However, I can't believe a dealership of this size could be so stupid as to think they could get away with altering a MSRP window sticker. There are just to many knowledgable people today that have access to think this would go unnoticed. The downside risk versus the upside return for this kind of behavior is so unbalanced it's hard to think of someone actually sitting around and dreaming this scheme up. I bought my car from these folks. They were up front, gracious, and followed through on everything they said. Price was fair and there was no hassle. Go figure.

OK...so I'm browsing through Ebay checking out the Shelby stuff when I come across this ad:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustan...115852635QQrdZ1

Now, I may be completely in the dark, but I really don't think Ford offers a mustang GT with the "Shelby Red Appearance Package". Not only that, they've cropped existing press photos of the red striped GT500 found on the web, and overlaid them on photos of their dealership showroom floor. These guys are nuts - I'm ashamed to live in the same city they do business in. These are the same folks that insisted the market would sustain $100K for the GT500 - Good grief....

Regards,

FordGeek (Joseph)

You missed out on the fun when this tool at Lonestar Ford would come on here defending such practices.

Isn't he the snake in the pics on the bottom row, top left? He should drink bleach along with the rest of these salesmen. I folded over Bonestar on a Cobra purchase once and will never buy from them again. (I left with the upper hand by a large margin)

I just don't know how people like this sleep at night? How satisfying does it feel to lie with every breath? And the photoshopped pics are just pathetic.

Wow...I think ol STubby is a little hot!

This is a reply to a message sent to Mr. Stubbs on Ebay by a friend of mine.

I think the orignal said something like they should be ashamed of trying to scam the public with something like that GT499...not quite a 500...

Mr. Stubbs, "Ashamed of what? Selling more Mustangs than any other dealer on Planet Earth? Being the number one GT dealer? We are filling a void by installing original Shelby parts on a GT Mustang.

Should Shelby be ashamed of building the Shelby GT? I am not sure I get your point, but in all fairness send me the link to this forum so I can defend our intentions and actions. "

Respectfully,

Scott Stubbs

Lone Star Ford

I don't know if the guy sent him any links, I think I saw the same thing over on another (not as good as this one) SVT site, so I guess they are stirring it up a little.

Question for the chiefs here???? :redcard::redcard::redcard:

So when Joe Blow buys his GT499 from Lonestar, brings it home and decides to join any Shelby Owners Assoc, what happens? Interesting topic for thought.

What it looks like they did was they took a GT Mustang and made it into a GT500 Clone.

They have the GT Mustang in stock. MSRP on the GT Mustang is $28,325.

There buy it now price is $39,991

That is a fair price for a GT500 Clone that has had all the GT500 exterior parts put on.

The problem I see with what they did is they took the original factory window sticker and then they altered that by adding in the parts they used and listing the prices claiming them to be MSRP prices.

To my knowledge that is illegal!

Only the MANUFACTURER can put an MSRP price on a new vehicle. Any add ons would have to be added to an addendum sticker showing any additional cost as dealer add ons. You can't claim it to be an MSRP price.

If you also noticed someone is way off on their math. They show the MSRP as $42,592

If you were to add all the charges they have listed on that window sticker it all adds up to $44,442

If you took the buy it now price and subtracted that from the $28,325 MSRP price of the GT Mustang itself then they are charging $11,666 for all the add ons. Now if they used all the parts required to make the car look exactly like a GT500 then $11,666 is good price for all that. You could not buy all the parts, labor and paint required to do it yourself for that.

We did one of these as well. It is a red GT Mustang with white stripes. We had the stripes painted on VS using the 3M Vinyl. Painting them on is much more labor intense and cost more than just buying the vinyl stripe kit and putting them on. We charge $12,500 to do the shelby GT500 appearance package which consists of over 40 new parts, plus painting and labor. We use a separate addendum sticker that is placed next to the window sticker. Simular to what SAI does with the Shelby GT.

I wonder how Ford would respond to that if they seen how they doctored up their window sticker like that and how they are listing it as the MSRP price. I don't know what the laws are in Texas pertaining to doing that kind of stuff, but in our State that is definitely illegal to advertise any added mark up as being the MSRP price. If the attorney general in our State seen this we would be looking at some hefty, hefty fines for it!

A dealer can take a new car and add all the mods they want and they can charge anything they want for it, BUT, they have to list all that separate from the MSRP price and show it as dealer add ons. They can not show the add ons as being part of the MSRP (MANUFACTURERS SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE). The dealer is not the manufacturer and that window sticker did not come from Ford that way. They altered it to include the parts they added. Those should be all listed separately on an addendum sticker.

You're forgetting something here...Ford doesn't care nor as they put it "have no control over their dealers. I feel like calling child support services and reporting Ford. This is just like a parent having no control over their children...go figure. :hysterical2:

Wow...I think ol STubby is a little hot!

This is a reply to a message sent to Mr. Stubbs on Ebay by a friend of mine.

I think the orignal said something like they should be ashamed of trying to scam the public with something like that GT499...not quite a 500...

Mr. Stubbs, "Ashamed of what? Selling more Mustangs than any other dealer on Planet Earth? Being the number one GT dealer? We are filling a void by installing original Shelby parts on a GT Mustang.

Should Shelby be ashamed of building the Shelby GT? I am not sure I get your point, but in all fairness send me the link to this forum so I can defend our intentions and actions. "

Respectfully,

Scott Stubbs

Lone Star Ford

I don't know if the guy sent him any links, I think I saw the same thing over on another (not as good as this one) SVT site, so I guess they are stirring it up a little.

Question for the chiefs here???? :redcard::redcard::redcard:

So when Joe Blow buys his GT499 from Lonestar, brings it home and decides to join any Shelby Owners Assoc, what happens? Interesting topic for thought.

I bet Mr. Stubbs is not ashamed of his wifes (censored)!!!!! :hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2:

HSURB

You're forgetting something here...Ford doesn't care nor as they put it "have no control over their dealers. I feel like calling child support services and reporting Ford. This is just like a parent having no control over their children...go figure. :hysterical2:

Ford has no control over what dealers charge for the vehicles they sell, but this is about it. They most certainly do have control over the way they conduct their business practices. Otherwise there would be no need for Ford to have a customer service center to deal with complaints about dealers. Ford comes down on dealers over the way they handle certain matters pertaining to the consumer.

Only the manufacturer can set MSRP prices. Dealers can not! Altering the manufacturer window sticker and showing adjusted pricing as being the MSRP is something I don't think Ford or any other manufacturer would tolerate. I don't think the Attorney general's office would tolerate that either. Most states have very strict laws pertaining to way a dealer can advertise prices.

In our State you can't even put "WAS" (insert price) and then say "NOW" (insert new lower price) on used vehicles. You can't advertise an MSRP price on used vehicles. You can't add things to a vehicle by adding that mark up cost to the factory MSRP and call the new price the MSRP price. Only the manufacturer can set the MSRP price.

I don't know what the laws are for Texas but I suspect they have simular laws and I know Ford would not tolerate changing the window stickers by adding new equipment installed by the dealer and advertising it as the MSRP price.

I bet Mr. Stubbs is not ashamed of his wifes (edited)!!!!! :hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2:

HSURB

Who are you? You know my last name and know where I work, but you make no mention of who you are.

You make the reference to "his" and "either" like that is a normal occurence in your

"significant" others relationship you "(edited)" coward.

Be a man, and please come say these ridiculous comments to my face.

Guys, cool down the rhetoric. This is a family site. I edited both your posts. Lonestar, I think you guys are getting alot of bad press with that ebay listing. More and more people here are beginning to associate your store with deciet. Being the biggest Mustang dealer in the US is great. If you do it with honesty & integrity.

I sincerely hope that you re-think your strategy of selling vehicles as I believe it may hurt you in the long run.

Finally, both of you feel free to air your opinions in an adult manner. Thanks.

I don't chime in much, but this is a topic that disturbs me. Lonestar, I would hope that you disclose to ANYONE interested in purchasing this vehicle that it is a fake, or clone as you put it. I am aware making money is important however, some things are better left alone for a lot of reasons. Your demeanor alone on this board would discourage me from purchasing a vehicle from you.

Legal or not, it is deceit. And deceit is lying, and there is something wrong with that. :gang:

Deceit? Lying?

First, the equipment is disclosed. The Title Says "Mustang GT".

And the MSRP Sticker discloses the equipment and has a "Diclaimer: This window sticker is only representative of the information contained on an actual window sticker, and may or may not match the actual window sticker on the vehicle itself. Please see your retailer for further information."

Second, we purchase all equipment from Shelby and Ford Racing.

The customers who purchased this "package" are fully aware of what "clone", "replica" and "shelby appearance" mean. The VIN # are actual 2007 Ford Mustang GT cars on our lot.

Third, due to the demand why not offer the shelby appearance pkg for GT cars?

I mean, Shelby themselves is capitalizing on the GT-H, but the process is too slow and in-efficient.

I can build a Appearance Pkg in less than a week and it takes me almost Nine Weeks to get a Shelby GT and it doesn't have the eye appeal of the GT 500.

Call it what you want, but from a marketing standpoint we feel this is "genius" to offer people who want the style of Shelby and the performance of a regular GT car at a price within there budget.

Guys, cool down the rhetoric. This is a family site. I edited both your posts. Lonestar, I think you guys are getting alot of bad press with that ebay listing. More and more people here are beginning to associate your store with deciet. Being the biggest Mustang dealer in the US is great. If you do it with honesty & integrity.

I sincerely hope that you re-think your strategy of selling vehicles as I believe it may hurt you in the long run.

Finally, both of you feel free to air your opinions in an adult manner. Thanks.

Crispy - I will refrain from those types of comments. I think that was after a few beers last Friday.

I really appreciate the dealer personnel that participate on the board, especially if they are straight up with the information. This listing, just strikes me as an attempt to intentionally mislead board members, as well as the general public.

HSURB

..oh heck, I have an opinion also.

:hysterical2:

I don't really think the advertising is that deceptive, but at some level I am really bugged by having non shelby cars driving around with shelby badging. Just seems kinda rice like to me. Definitely dilutes the brand name. At the car show this weekend, there was a modded (lots of colored and chrome appearance items) up v6 mustang with the shelby cobras and the shelby letters on the back. It bothered me, as well as many many others who commented to me about various cars at the show.

Oh well, my pragmatic side says to concentrate on those things that I can actually do something about, and say "to heck with the idiots".

..and remember the call of the 60s "Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll" ....and fast as heck shelbys!

John

Hey I'm cloning a KR in time, does that mean I'm a bad person because of it?

There will be more clones on the street than GT500's and KR's in less than ten years. People love the "Look", be glad your's is the real deal.

Not at all, being American gives you freedom to do what you want.

In fact, We our going to build a "KR appearance" out of a 2008 Mustang V6 in vapor color with blue stripes!

You can take my V8 and do that to mine....Honest

Archived