TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anybody have a Colgan bra on their Shelby GT?

I can't figure out how it could possibly fit on the lower clips in the wheel well. I'm attaching my photo showing where the clip location is blocked by the horizontal support piece. I also can't get the tabs to fit all the way into the headlight/bumper gap. Colgan says to use a spatula to force it in - what? I thought these were customized bras. They don't seem to fit and they don't hug the contours of the front fenders or hood well - leaving huge air gaps for dirt to get in and air to flutter all over..

IMG_20130822_094752.jpg

IMG_20130822_094914.jpg

Colgan is supposed to be the top name in the auto bra business and their products cost more than the rest. They will not stand behind their product and the vendor will not stand behind their satisfaction guarantee. I can't for the life of me figure out why people aren't expecting more for their money.

I shouldn't even comment on the hood fit, because that is not really their fault. They don't advertise a hood kit for the Hertz. I did contact the only vendor who did make the Hertz kit, and was told it is NOT any different from the standard Shelby GT hood kit. I was told it will simply stretch to fit b/c the hoods aren't significantly different. Being as the Colgan is supposed to be the best brand, I figured I was safest ordering their kit. The hood piece doesn't fit for crap. It's too small, like I figured it would be and doesn't extend fully to adequately get the hood pin cutouts lined up. In fact, it is so tight/misaligned that the hood pins can't even go in due to the bunching up of the material there. Still, the lower fascia should fit perfectly and I can't even get it on at all at the bottom. The rest of the fit leaves much to be desired, too. Areas around headlights not taught, fender/hood gaps don't line up on both sides... overall dissatisfaction. I tried fitting this thing for well over an hour before giving up. Yes, I let it sit out in the hot sun first and it was plenty warm. It was over 90 degrees that day (:

IMG_20130822_094819.jpg

IMG_20130822_094742.jpg

IMG_20130822_094844.jpg

IMG_20130822_094902.jpg

I can't figure out how it could possibly fit on the lower clips in the wheel well. I'm attaching my photo showing where the clip location is blocked by the horizontal support piece. I also can't get the tabs to fit all the way into the headlight/bumper gap. Colgan says to use a spatula to force it in - what? I thought these were customized bras. They don't seem to fit and they don't hug the contours of the front fenders or hood well - leaving huge air gaps for dirt to get in and air to flutter all over..

IMG_20130822_094752.jpg

When I bought mine last year for the trip to Terlingua, it took me a little while to figure out how to properly secure the bottom clip in the wheel well. I witnessed first hand the flapping of the bra on Rick's car and did not want that to happen. What I did was, bend the lower clip in just a little more, then I placed it in just under where the lower screw is on the fascia (your other clip is above that screw). With the clip inserted just under that screw and flushup against the fascia, I slid it down to the bottom. Doing so, the clip stays wrapped around the fascia and the bra is stretched tight. I know it's kind of hard to understand, as it's kind of hard to explain without physically showing how to do it, but I had no problems at all with the bottom staying attached for the 1000 mile each way trip ( a couple times reaching 100mph).

For the pins, I gently stretched the bra up over the pin area. Remember, I had the Hertz hood on at that time. Not sure, if you have the billet pins or not, I did. I'm at work right now and don't have access to the pics I took when I installed it or I would have posted comparisons. I also had to modify mine a bit because of the custom radiator cover covering the attaching points inboard of the headlights.

Good Luck.

Dan

Archived