TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Fender Stripes on my KR

REAL ONE

Call them what you want, but when the rest of the world types "rookie stripes" in to google this is want comes up

https://www.google.ca/search?q=rookie+stripes+on&safe=off&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=U383Ur6LLIPBqQGRyICYAQ&ved=0CEEQsAQ&biw=1344&bih=708&dpr=1.25#q=rookie+stripes+&safe=off&tbm=isch

just sayen

Call them what you want, but when the rest of the world types "rookie stripes" in to google this is want comes up

https://www.google.ca/search?q=rookie+stripes+on&safe=off&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=U383Ur6LLIPBqQGRyICYAQ&ved=0CEEQsAQ&biw=1344&bih=708&dpr=1.25#q=rookie+stripes+&safe=off&tbm=isch

just sayen

Sorry Glen,

You are incorrect amigo

They are called FIA strips for the reason listed below

Fender stripes are also known as driver identification stripes or Federation Internationale de L'Automobile (FIA) stripes. In the 1960's, Shelby and other multicar teams would put different colored stripes on their cars so that at a quick glance the pit crews could distinguish which car was pitting (they couldn't always see the numbers).

My son installed these fender stripes on my KR. What do you guys think? Not sure if I like it with the stripes or without.

Appreciate your comments.

Thanks.

photo_zpsab43d57d.jpg

They look really good on your KR. You have a awesome color combo.

Sorry Glen,

You are incorrect amigo

They are called FIA strips for the reason listed below

Fender stripes are also known as driver identification stripes or Federation Internationale de L'Automobile (FIA) stripes. In the 1960's, Shelby and other multicar teams would put different colored stripes on their cars so that at a quick glance the pit crews could distinguish which car was pitting (they couldn't always see the numbers).

Tom

I would never question the original use: whether FIA or the story of the 3 Wimbledon blue cobras running in the same race and a pit crew member using a spray bomb during the race so they would know what car was what.

My point is things change over time what meant one thing now means something else. As a kid growing up in winnterpeg in the summer, I wore sandals and they were called "thongs". Fast forward 50 years and they are now called flip-flops. Now what I posted was what the average Joe sees if he were to type “rookie stripes” into Google. Not what is necessarily correct but none the less it is what you get. I do believe that the stripes are correct for a Daytona and Cobra continuation cars not replica cars. Now our new cars do not really share the FIA history. Let’s face it our new cars have very little in common with the Shelbys of the 60s. Our new cars out perform and are far more comfortable. The only things we really share with the old ones are; The Name, badges and Carroll’s involvement with the car. Oh yea and the in your face to Chevy; we have the only King of the Road.

History is important as are the FIA strips on the Cobra. It is easy to explain the strips on a Cobra to the uninformed, but to try to explain why you are running FIA stripes on a new Shelby to the uninformed (good luck). Chances are they will Google it and the rookie stripes will come to the forefront. I find when I talk to the uninformed about my cars it is easiest to just say the Mags are stock. I takes long enough to explain the Bunny on the fender. LOL

Glen

Tom

I would never question the original use: whether FIA or the story of the 3 Wimbledon blue cobras running in the same race and a pit crew member using a spray bomb during the race so they would know what car was what.

My point is things change over time what meant one thing now means something else. As a kid growing up in winnterpeg in the summer, I wore sandals and they were called "thongs". Fast forward 50 years and they are now called flip-flops. Now what I posted was what the average Joe sees if he were to type “rookie stripes” into Google. Not what is necessarily correct but none the less it is what you get. I do believe that the stripes are correct for a Daytona and Cobra continuation cars not replica cars. Now our new cars do not really share the FIA history. Let’s face it our new cars have very little in common with the Shelbys of the 60s. Our new cars out perform and are far more comfortable. The only things we really share with the old ones are; The Name, badges and Carroll’s involvement with the car. Oh yea and the in your face to Chevy; we have the only King of the Road.

History is important as are the FIA strips on the Cobra. It is easy to explain the strips on a Cobra to the uninformed, but to try to explain why you are running FIA stripes on a new Shelby to the uninformed (good luck). Chances are they will Google it and the rookie stripes will come to the forefront. I find when I talk to the uninformed about my cars it is easiest to just say the Mags are stock. I takes long enough to explain the Bunny on the fender. LOL

Glen

I explain it by saying, "I like them!"

just sayen

Every "Rookie Stripe" I've ever seen, in every series I've ever seen has been on the back bumper of a car.

That way, a approaching driver knows he's approaching or about to pass a rookie and gives the seasoned driver fair warning.

I can't remember what series or car it was on but someone used to have rookie 'flags' or streamers. I think it was in the Motorcycle/ATV flat-track series we had in California.

Phill

Hah: To bad there Grabber. There not for sale. :hysterical:

However, based on current events you may be able to pick up another set in a mass sale sometime soon. :drool:

You are absolutely correct. I just picked up another set. If you want some too.....I suggest you hurry: http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/82540-another-batch-of-gt500kr-wheels-for-sale-to-the-general-public/?do=findComment&comment=1473802

:poke:

Tom

Glen

Glen,

You must have a lot of time on your hands to give this so much thought....lol...

I've never heard anyone call them rookie stripes until you have in this thread, (must be a Canadian thing :poke: ), when people ask about them to me, they say, "what are those stripes on the fender", whereas the aforementioned stripe (as stated by some other replies) horizontally on the rear bumpers.

Because it too have some time on my hands :drop: , only 22 of the 348 pictures on the your google link tells me only 6% return....now 7% by adding these words in the web crawlers :hysterical:

In closing, both Dodge with the Challenger and Corvette had them from the factory as part of a certain graphics (RT for Dodge), or Edition (Ron Fellows or Grand Sport) for the Corvette

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming B)

Every "Rookie Stripe" I've ever seen, in every series I've ever seen has been on the back bumper of a car.

That way, a approaching driver knows he's approaching or about to pass a rookie and gives the seasoned driver fair warning.

Phill

Bingo.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/vawSmzOxw4S05rY49bz2kA

Ill be adding a set at some time. So, I like them

KR VS Boss, Toms KR is not stock, hard to compare but, stock to stock, having driven both, the Boss has more lean in the corners and does not feel as consistent. That being said, the B2 was easy to drive and fast

Now, back to subject :)

Archived