TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anyone using Harry's Lap Timer app?

TurboGT

Wondering if anyone has used this app for track data acquisition. I've transferred the data files from my iPhone to my laptop (Macbook) but am trying to figure out what program to use to open the files on the laptop to view and work with the files. If anyone can suggest a user friendly program to use I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Tim

I'm testing out Harry's Lap Timer and Track Addict before I hit the track. TA is a little easier to test around the street, since you don't have pre-programed triggers on a track, like HLT. Additionally, TA allows you to do live ODB2 monitoring of 8 different data points and export raw data. HLT seem setup for designated tracks (you pre-load them) with an easy "set it and forget it" style of recording. TA seems a little more flexible, but not as 'automated' for a specific track.

You can export data to 'RaceRender 2' (I'm also using a Mac) and do custom gauge overlays on your video. This lis pretty slick and gives you a lot more control over the video post-production.

Until I hit the track (Nov 8th) I cant say which one is better. I will have my ODB2 and external, high accuracy GPS fired up, whiling trying out both products. BTW, if you haven't purchased a mount, look for the RAM Universal Suction mount ($45) on Amazon. You will also want to run power to your phone or it will run out of juice quickly.

Thanks for the reply. The "set and forget" feature of HLT is probably the best thing about it since my eyes & hands are pretty busy on the the track. I'm happy with the data it has generated so far, I just need to get it to my laptop where I don't need reading glasses to see it - LOL!

I plan to get an external GPS device as well to improve accuracy and hopefully figure out how to integrate GoPro video into the lap timer generated display for later self-coaching & review.

Also going to Road Atlanta next weekend to help a friend manage his data from his vintage Corvette & Indy car so I'm trying to learn a little bit before I get there.

To watch data recorded with Harry's LapTimer there are basically three options:

1. Use Harry's LapTimer itself. LapTimer has an extremely powerful data recordings section including all types of charts, lap comparison etc. For iPads the best option. You find that area drilling down from Lap List to Lap Details and selecting "Preview" in the Data Recordings section.
  2. Export data to .KML and view it in Google Earth - available as a free download for all platforms. Pretty complete format with lots of options to view and hide. Certainly not specialized for track day junkies - but beautiful.
  3. Export data to .VBO, Racelogic's proprietary format. Download the free Circuit Tools 2 (PC software) and open the .VBO file to get all kinds of data analytics.

Any data transfer is done by email or Dropbox.

Hope that helps - Harry

P.S. I have a Google Alerts search active pointing me to HLPTR discussions. Hope that is appreciated. ;-)

Harry,

Your personal response is very much appreciated! The app itself is great - very powerful and user friendly for cockpit control of start/stop. My issue is that my old eyes have trouble seeing all the data crowded onto the iPhone screen - not the apps fault it's just me.

I've been to the HLT forum & searched archives for solutions. I liked the idea of viewing in GoogleEarth so I downloaded that to my MacBook but can't seem to get it to recognize & open the HLT lap files - I'm sure it's user error and my computer illiteracy causing the problem and will continue to troubleshoot on my own.

Will also try to download HLT to my iPad and see if I can sync with my phone for easier viewing of the files. Going to the track this week and plan to spend the morning trying to figure it out as I love the app for self-coaching.

Anyone wanting to try out an inexpensive track data acquisition tool should try out Harry's Lap Timer.

I liked the idea of viewing in GoogleEarth so I downloaded that to my MacBook but can't seem to get it to recognize & open the HLT lap files - I'm sure it's user error and my computer illiteracy causing the problem and will continue to troubleshoot on my own.

Forgot to mention LapTimer compresses big file exports using gzip. So I assume you found a .kml.gz instead of a .kml file? On a Mac, simply double click the .kml.gz and it will be uncompressed to .kml Click this file again to let Google Earth open it. Individual laps exported typically will not be compressed, so you may try this first.

- Harry

Downloaded the HLT app to my iPad & MUCH easier to review the files there. Now, need to get a Dual XPS150 gps device to improve quality of data & I'm all set. Thanks again Harry!

The XGPS160 is out featuring 10 Hz - even better than the 150: http://www.gps-laptimer-forum.de/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1628 Check the Compatibility page for ordering options: http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Compatibility.html

- Harry

Not to hijack the thread but has anyone else had their phone overheat while timing/recording and shut down? I was running at Auto Club, it was 100 degrees and the phone (iPhone 5) would only record for a few minutes. I run HLT and have been very happy with the app. I was really bummed that I didn't get my second run at Auto Club recorded.

Did you have a case on? I'm guessing that might trap some additional heat.

I have had my 4s shut down if I leave it in the well on a hot day, but not while recording. Might also try some sun-shields for the windows between runs.

Not to hijack the thread but has anyone else had their phone overheat while timing/recording and shut down? I was running at Auto Club, it was 100 degrees and the phone (iPhone 5) would only record for a few minutes. I run HLT and have been very happy with the app. I was really bummed that I didn't get my second run at Auto Club recorded.

Took the case off and I had a garage so it never hit the sun until I got on pit road. I think it must have just been a combination of hot ambient temperatures, sun likely hitting the phone on pit road and during my run and the power (heat generation) it utilizes video recording. I don't plan to run in those type temperatures again (at least this year).

I got one of the Dual XGPS 150 receivers and used it in my track session Thursday. The XGPS150 improves the quality of captured data considerably (5mHz -vs- 1mHz processing speed) and the Bluetooth connection to the iPhone & Harry's LT was very smooth. I got lots of good data and with a little trial and error was able to record video with the real-time data overlaid on the video using just my phone from a holder mounted to the inside the windshield.. For you hard core track junkies you can also connect HLT to record OBD data. When I get a chance I'll try to link to some video to give you an idea of the image quality you can expect - or you can just go to the HLT website to view a demo.

I also spent Friday & Saturday at Road Atlanta with a friend running his '63 Vette and a 2006 Dallara Indy car at an HSR event. Using a $25 suction cup mount for the iPhone (plus a little duct tape for insurance) we mounted the iPhone on the Indy car during qualifying and used HLT to capture great over the shoulder videos overlaid with great track data. He was running at speeds over 150 on the straight and pulling 2G's and the phone held tight. With just a slightly more stable mount I'd be very confident to use the system on any road course.

For a $20 initial investment for the HLT app and $20 for a mount you're immediately in business.

Here are a couple examples...just a quick spin around the neighborhood.

HLT - No external GPS, with GoPoint ODBII - http://youtu.be/rh7rqzv6k9U

TrackAddict - No external GPS, with GoPoint & edited with RaceRender2 (Mac) - http://youtu.be/1T4YzpULves

Track day in early Nov, so I will have some better examples. Also will be adding a Dual XPS150 to the mix.

BTW, this is my run from April...No track apps, but used a GoPro in several locations and edited with iMovie - http://youtu.be/ZzYKug4FV5c

• 1 month later...

First chance to put the apps to the test. Long story short...HLT worked great. I had several technical difficulties, mostly my doing.

1. Phone overheated (topped out at 83F outside). Solution: Keep the AC on 'defrost' while on the grid to keep it cool and remove it from the mount between sessions.

2. External GPS lost sync several times

3. Video eats up lots of space...ran out of memory in the middle of a run. Bad iPhone storage managment on my part

4. GPS jumped to an adjacent track which screwed up my overlays on a couple laps, but app corrected itself the next time around

5. During my best run, the iPhone power cable got in the way of the camera

http://youtu.be/sYfQKFT_quo

I tried TrackAddict, but I kept having to confirm my position or start of the session. Verdict, too many buttons to push to kick it off so I ditched it for the day.

Would really like to do PiP with a GoPro Hero3 next time out.

BTW, this was a novice group (only passing on the straits)...and yes, I know there is a pickup truck in front of me :banghead: . I got around him eventually :cool:

Nov.png

First chance to put the apps to the test. Long story short...HLT worked great. I had several technical difficulties, mostly my doing.

1. Phone overheated (topped out at 83F outside). Solution: Keep the AC on 'defrost' while on the grid to keep it cool and remove it from the mount between sessions.

2. External GPS lost sync several times

3. Video eats up lots of space...ran out of memory in the middle of a run. Bad iPhone storage managment on my part

4. GPS jumped to an adjacent track which screwed up my overlays on a couple laps, but app corrected itself the next time around

5. During my best run, the iPhone power cable got in the way of the camera

I tried TrackAddict, but I kept having to confirm my position or start of the session. Verdict, too many buttons to push to kick it off so I ditched it for the day.

Would really like to do PiP with a GoPro Hero3 next time out.

BTW, this was a novice group (only passing on the straits)...and yes, I know there is a pickup truck in front of me :banghead: . I got around him eventually :cool:

Nov.png

What is PiP to go with the gopro3? I have the gopro3 already.

• 1 year later...

Barry, I just tried to down load Grand Prix version with no luck. Server issues was the generic message. I hope to have it before AMP. Then I can use some help with it.

Happy to help. You need to get the app downloaded on you phone (iPhone?) to get started. Harry's has a great website (http://www.gps-laptimer.de/) with some 'how to' info. If you have trouble with the download or install, I would email Harry S. directly. He is very responsive. After that, I can probably walk you through it...feel free to PM me when you get the app installed.

• 1 year later...

A year has gone by and HLT has been great. Could not be happier with the product and ease of use. Well, almost....I just ran Mondo at Wild Horse Pass which is a track that combines the Bondurant track with the Main track at WHP. Obviously, Mondo is not in the data base. However, HLT has a "learning" feature to teach it new tracks. I went through the process and after the third session, i finally achieved lift-off. I got the Mondo track saved and a recording done. Here's the kicker. Usually, applying the overlay is a no-brainer. Not so much this time. HLT recorded the session as the lap...GREAT##$@%. Now I have this big file that screams for an extra 4GiGs of space to apply the overlay. Any suggestions on what I can do? The iPhone is a 6S issued by my employer, which comes with a whopping 16G of memory. I added HLT to this phone because I could not successfully download it to my Android with tons of memory by comparison.

What is out there to help? I have nothing added to this phone but HLT. I cannot think of what I can remove to gain space or where I can move the file to work with it.

Hope someone has the solution. I would really like to see the overlayed video when running this 2.7 mile Mondo at WHP.

Archived