TEAM SHELBY FORUM

NASCAR INTEGRITY

07SGT

The fact that ESPN pre-empted the NHRA event IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BROADCAST to show NASCAR instead was unbelievable.

Came back from commercial, drag racing was gone. Wow. Lame, to say the least.

Jer

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact that ESPN pre-empted the NHRA event IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BROADCAST to show NASCAR instead was unbelievable.

Jer

That's the only way they can get people to watch it Jer.... next week they're gonna interrupt Oprah!

i quit watching Nascar a decade 0r 2 ago... i have only went to 1 race , and it was the Shelby 427 race in 09, and i probably wont ever attend another 1, since the piece of junk they call the car of tomorrow came out. and all of the cars are pretty much the same..

On a positive note, my two boys (10,7) love NASCAR. I have lost interest but stay involved for them. We go to 1-2 races a year. The experience at the track is fun. There is a lot going on that they enjoy. They became hooked after we visited a few of the shops in Charlotte. Upon visiting Gibbs two years ago, Joey Lagano and Denny Hamlin were there. Joey followed me into the parking lot. I saw him park and mentioned this to my youngest. He called him out and he promptly came over and gave him a high five and an autograph. A little later, this lady came up to me and asked if we wanted a private tour. The rest is history. Gibbs gets it. They know the fans are the key.

Unfortunately I did watch the race to the conclusion. And they interviewed Joe Gibbs after his team finished 1-2. He is a very humble, religious, and class act. He should probably re running nascar rather than the Frances'. At least they would then really care about the fans and have integrity.

Jer

Ya that sucks but just think, the NHRA is coming to Vegas at the end of October and you can watch 4 days LIVE! 4 DAYS LIVE!!!!!!...... SWEET JEBUS. I've gone twice in the past 3 years an may go again this year. How can you beat that!!!!!????? go to the NHRA, then hit SEMA and finally visit the new Shelby American location, all in 7 days, how can you beat that sh!t :bandance: :happy feet: :sing_rain:

QSS

I fell asleep at that Shelby race in '09.

Ill be honest guys, I would rather be out driving some back country road in my car, then watch a bunch of no talent douche bags that only got their job because their daddy was so and so, or they are slightly taller than a 5th grader.

With the death of indycar, I tried to get into NASCAR, but it just never could keep me interested. F1 is huge, and like World Cup soccer its a very popular globally. But even though I have season tickets, the amount of money they expect people to pay for everything really turns me off. I enjoy the spectacle, but when I want to buy my little boy a toy car, and I am expected to pay 115.00 for a matchbox car, its gone way too far. (That's not an exaggeration). They can keep it all guys. Good American racing really died with Indycar for me.

I would really love to see Ford get back into Indycar. Problem with Indycar now is similar to Nascar - all the cars are the same so its basically a spec series.

The racing rules are too restrictive - kills all the innovation.

This is another reason why I'm turning back to F1 and the new United Sportscar Series for now.

I would really love to see Ford get back into Indycar. Problem with Indycar now is similar to Nascar - all the cars are the same so its basically a spec series.

The racing rules are too restrictive - kills all the innovation.

This is another reason why I'm turning back to F1 and the new United Sportscar Series for now.

100% agree and Indy car has been bastardized to resemble NASCRAP.

I've been an F1 fan for years and we have a few American prospects working up the ladder to get to F1 and Alexander Rossi is doing well. Will be good to finally have another American to root for and hopefully he will perform at the top level unlike Scott Speed did a few years ago. Getting a little tired of the Sebastian Vettel show and hoping he has a few catastrophic motor failures in the upcoming races to make this years championship more interesting. Ford could get back into F1 and I hope they become more involved with the United Sportscar Series moving forward. Michael Shank's team needs a few more $$$ to become competitive against Chip Ganassi, Gainsco, and Wayne Taylor's boys.

If you are a fan of road course racing, you will most likely love the new series. I'm very excited to see the LeMans style prototypes, Daytona prototypes, GT cars, and GT challenge cars all battling it out. Should make for one hell of a show.

Jer

And unfortunately, NHRA took a cue from NASCAR and went to the same type of "chase" format.

Me personally, I think it sucks.

Winning a "season" isn't just about the last 10 races IMO. It's about the entire SEASON.

NASCAR did it to keep the points close at the end so there wasn't a 'winner' with 5 races left. Hey, how about making it F-1 style and only giving points to the top 10, starting at 10 for the win and 1 for 10th place? THAT will keep the points race close.

I'm not happy with either NHRA *or* NASCAR. I was a HUGE NHRA fan too and a Eliminator Club Member as well.

Their loss..

Phill

I like the Grand Am series as well but even that has gone down hill because of Nascar's involvement. The Continental series has seen the mustangs become non competitive with all the rule changes and restrictions they put on them. Forever MADATNASCAR! Hey, wasn't that a movie a few years ago?

someone previously mentioned that nascar racers and their dad. Well I assume that is Jr. And Jr is mister popularity in Nascar but he is not his father. His dad had more hunger and drive probably in part because he was dirt poor. And Jr. went to a private military school.

did you ever notice how we had some very good racing in this country and when the founders died and their sons and grandsons took over it went to hell. Indy car racing was destroyed by Tony George after his grandfather founded Indy speedway. And little Brian France has devestated Nascar that his grandfather big Bil France founded. Of course they always say they had to make changes to stay current.

Yes, I used to be a NASCAR fan, but have lost interest year after year, especially since the chase format. How can you determine a legit winner, when they don't even include a road course in the chase....oh yeah, the top drivers can't turn right and shift gears at the same time.

Jr! who sucks! is the most popular driver? At least Bill Elliot won championships when he was the popular driver like forever. Another great idea, how about putting rain tires like F1, and stop these red flags and cautions. Every other sport plays in the rain, well maybe not baseball, but that's another story.

I only watch now the sears and Watkins glen races now.

I agree they need to use rain tires when necessary rather than having long rain delays. Even after it has sotpped raining it is usually 2+ hours to dry the track and re-start.

I agree we should have a road course in the chase, and I suggest Mid-Ohio sports car course.

Surprisingly one of the reasons Ford is racing the Fusion in nascar is to ................................sell F-150 pick up trucks. That is why toyota started, it certainly was not to sell Camry's.

I am curious whom will win Rookie of the Year for 2013. In the past it has almost always been the highest point person in the competition. This year Ricky Stenhouse is leading Danica Patrick. I won't be surprised if nascar says that Danica will receive the award because of the fans and publicity and yadayadayada.

I am curious whom will win Rookie of the Year for 2013. In the past it has almost always been the highest point person in the competition. This year Ricky Stenhouse is leading Danica Patrick. I won't be surprised if nascar says that Danica will receive the award because of the fans and publicity and yadayadayada.

I am curious to see this outcome as well. If Danica wins, even though Stenhouse performs much better in nearly every race, NASCAR will lose even more and more fans.

Incidentally - I have now NOT watch two races ... at all... although I did read last night that Toyotas finished 1-2 again....

Maybe the drivers of the two Toyotas (Kenseth and Busch) should be penalized for conspiring to keep Jeff Gordon or Jimmy Johnson from winning The Chase in their Chebby's. :lol: QSS

I'm sure the Chebbies will "find something" and "come on strong" before the end to win once again!

In fairness, NASCAR, with the help of Ford, realized the COT mistake and at least, has taken steps to go back to stock appearing cars. Now, don't get me wrong, not even close to where they should be!! As much as I would love to say NASCAR manipulates finishes, I have no proof of that, although key races that have been won by certain competitors. Jr at Daytona, Gordon at Indy are once in a lifetime things that happened more than once. At the best, NASCAR is trying to keep things close, to a fault IMHO. That's not real racing. They pay no attention to the fans. Even their website has been ripped by fans and they just plug along like everything is rosy. Grand AM, SCCA, hell, even NASA has better racing than NASCAR. When Ford and the other manufacturers throw their weight into one of these, it will kill NASCAR.

On another note, Toyota is known to do what ever it takes to dominate motorsports, include cheat. While Gibbs may be an admirable man, Toyota has no redeeming qualities

I agree with much of what you say except for Toyota cheating. Apparently the Japanese have a fairly strict code of integrity with business and it was rumored that Toyota may even drop MWR because they brought shame to the company name. I think Toyota will go all out and do what ever they can to win but maybe not cheat. Hell, Ferrari certainly manipulated races in the past to win a championship over CS and Ford.

Toyota teams has magnetic plates on the back of the accelerator pedals for testing so that they could sandbag for the NASCAR higher ups. Once the testing was done, and the big wigs were satisfied of the level playing field, off came the limiter plates. Classy....

I guess this begs the question. Why does there have to be a level playing field? Why not, like the old days, you run the body style and if it is aerodynamic then great. If not you are stuck with it. Run the production engine, not just 500 examples, of which Ford never met. If you make a great product it will win. The level playing field is an example of today's attitude towards children, everybody plays.........everybody wins. Nascar is now just in it for the dollars and not the fans or doing what is right, IMO.

Sorry, I stopped watching and being interested in NASCAR when they went away from real stock cars, homologation rules, and to the cookie-cutter, all the same except decals approach. What's the point?

Same here. The car of tomorrow and Toyota was the end for me.

Total joke now.

Why not, like the old days, you run the body style and if it is aerodynamic then great. If not you are stuck with it.

That, unfortunately, is why NASCAR went to the Spec, uhhhhh, errrrr, ummmmm, "Car Of Tomorrow" in the first place. Never say "Spec Body", that's a bad word in NASCAR circles.

Chevrolet built a "RACE car" and turned it into a Street car (the Impala SS...or was it the Monte Carlo SS?). Aerodynamically, it would have run away from everyone else in the field and won the high point series taking all of the top 10 positions, if not more. Remember when teams used to change body mfgrs. like most change underwear? That's because "the flavor of the week" changed, weekly (okay, annually).

Hence, the "parity" that Brian France is looking to get with Spec...Uhhhhh, errrrr, ummmmm, the "Car Of Tomorrow" (now called the "Car Of Today" but still COT).

I'm with you...FUCK parity, let the manufactures battle it out in the wind tunnel (they only had to make 600+ production units (or was it 700+, I can't remember for sure) to compete a particular body style in NASCAR) and let the chips fall where they may, on the track.

Phill (I hold to old school logic)

Concur Kona. I believe they had to make 500. It was my understanding Ford never made 500 Taladegas with the Boss 429. At least Plymouth and Dodge did make 500 hemi Super Birds and Daytonas'. New Rule, has to be factory body panels, factory ride heighth, no splitter unless from the factory, no rear spoiler unless from the factory. Factory engine, do what ever you want on the inside of the engine but it has to be factory block and heads. Factory suspension. Then we will know who makes the baddest ass ride from Detroit (or Japan). Then we will see who rules the stop light Grand Prix.

I am starting to think that Ford, Chevy and Toyota are all wasting their money in NASCAR and need to just make hot cars for the street. Ford is wasting millions in NASCAR every year. That is why they stopped in 1970 when money became tight.

Let's face it guys. We no longer live in an America where the strong survive and prosper. Everyone must be the same and no one can be better than the other. We no longer live in a free markets business climate which truly fosters innovation. It's all about equality now and this mindset has taken hold at NASCAR. Everyone deserves a trophy has been the preaching for years now. You see the results.

Archived