TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Major flooding in Boulder County

twobjshelbys

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope your insurance company has compensated you for your in ability to stay in your house. I assume your cars are safe and sound in your garage even know your power is out. Did your town experience much Looding?

Our insurance policy had a loss of use clause, unless and except for floods. So no help there. We did get two months of stipend from FEMA for temporary living. Some checked directly into a hotel (like Embassy Suites) and their bills were covered. My wife stayed with our daughter and I stayed with a friend and we got about 900/mo for two months that we split with the two.

No looting was confirmed (reported to the sheriff) but some was alleged. Some of it was probably pot beyond the limits of what Colorado law now allows so it wouldn't be reported.

It took a little under two hours for the house to be demolished into shreds. The whole structure was pulled down and a track hoe used to break it into small bite sized chunks. The whole thing collapsed and shredded fit in the crawlspace area Another house next door will be demolished and both hauled away to the landfill.

• 1 year later...

Two years ago tonight all hell broke loose. Some of my friends are still out of their homes. Some have rebuilt (and my best friend, just sold his rebuilt home for a tidy profit). Some will never return by choice - they have taken a "buy out" program that deeds the lot to never be rebuilt. Some will never return but not by choice but because they can't afford to; having left after the floods the cost of relocating a second time is not possible for them.

I haven't had a hair cut since the flood. Time for a little bit of a trim.

Thanks for the update. I missed the original thread even with a brother that lives in Denver....

Haircuts are over rated, unless you have a convertible or drive fast with the windows down and no helmet.

Glad you are doing fine now.

• 2 years later...

Today is the 5th anniversary of the flood.

I visited Lyons twice last week to visit with old friends at the local watering holes. Most of those whose homes were not destroyed remain. One of them rebuilt and moved when it became obvious that Lyons was going to change in irrevocable ways (we spent an afternoon and the night with them in Loveland). Another rebuilt the home his mother and he (and now his sister and niece) live in. The house is not flood plain compliant so someone else will have to worry about it. The mother has a reverse mortgage on it so it will be someone else's problem. For the most part, all of those who left town with flood damage have not returned. I just saw an article that said that 27% of the town's current population weren't there when the flood happened. Anyone who left stands virtually no chance of returning. Real estate prices have skyrocketed in the last two years, so those that left with FEMA money to rent/buy a new residence elsewhere, if they intended on returning, have been priced out of the local market.

I did get a hair cut this spring before pool season. It got too long to mess with getting tangled in the water. 

Archived