TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Spec clutch noise at idle

68flashback

When I got the car 2 years ago it already had the Spec clutch in it. To this day it shifts just great. But I noticed right away that when stopped with the clutch in there is a rattling/chatter sound. If I let the clutch out in neutral the noise stops. When I start to lift the clutch to take off into 1st it stops right away. I believe that over the 2 years I have had the car the noise has become slightly louder.

One mechanic told me it was normal chatter, another said he thought it was a bearing issue.

Before I spend money getting someone to look at this in detail, does anyone have any thoughts on this?

All help gratefully accepted as usual!!!

Thanks!

Gregg

For me, with the clutch depressed, there is no rattle. With the car sitting at idle, in neutral, there is a rattle. It was this way before the clutch TSB and after the (2nd gen) clutch TSB done.

Kind of freaked me out, so I checked here myself and lots of people have that and it's considered normal.

Not sure that lines up with what you are experiencing though.

I know on the 4.6L Mustang 5 speeds it is called gear roll-over and is normal. With a twin disc clutch, the noise becomes a little more pronounced. It is caused by tranny gears (don't know which ones) turning until the clutch is depressed. I know several Ford mechanics and it was quite common on the 4.6L 5-speeds, and if your GT 500 has the Spec twin-disc, then you have the issue now too. I believe it is related to the weight of the flywheel assembly, which continues to turn due to the weight of the clutch assemblies being lighter.

Just replaced my clutch with an upgraded one as well, and I have the same issue. My mechanic who did the work, beleives that the clutch is too big for the stock flywheel, and that the flywheel also needs to be upgraded as well. We are going to be doing this next week so I will be happy to let you know what happens, but that seems to be the issue.

When I got the car 2 years ago it already had the Spec clutch in it. To this day it shifts just great. But I noticed right away that when stopped with the clutch in there is a rattling/chatter sound. If I let the clutch out in neutral the noise stops. When I start to lift the clutch to take off into 1st it stops right away. I believe that over the 2 years I have had the car the noise has become slightly louder.

One mechanic told me it was normal chatter, another said he thought it was a bearing issue.

Before I spend money getting someone to look at this in detail, does anyone have any thoughts on this?

All help gratefully accepted as usual!!!

Thanks!

Gregg

It's a Spec clutch. The rattle is normal.

I had Steeda Canada install a Spec Supertwin in my car, with a new throw bearing spring kit. It's been the worst experience since taking delivery in Aug 2006. The chatter is normal. The reason I have chatter is the 3 disc which floats. When I depress the clutch pedal, the 3rd disk floats freely creating the chatter noise.

What I do have that no one has been able to answer, is a large vibration in the whole car, on high acceleration and also on deceleration in gears 4, 5 and 6. The worst vibration is in 3rd gear between 40 and 50mph / 60 and 80kph. Very annoying. I went so far as to have them install an aluminium drive shaft, which didn't fix the problem. Without reversing the work they did and verifying the clutch, they keep telling my I have something else wrong, NOT the clutch. Well I keep telling them there was nothing wrong before the new clutch.

One interesting quirk on this; if I'm decelerating and the vibration is hugely evident, pushing in the clutch pedal, makes is all go away. Go figure!!!!

Next year, I'll flip that clutch to a McLeod RXT.

The 2010 upgrade kit is what Ford finally came up with to resolve the 2007-2009 clutch/flywheel issues. Grabber led the way on this issue and he has listed all the parts needed to make the swap. Here is the link for the parts needed: http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/76365-clutch-drag-tsb-4th-revision-143818-if-you-have-to-pay-for-it/?p=1332922.

Many of us bought the parts ourselves then take them to your trusted installer to do the work. I can tell you the difference is amazing. The clutch becomes so wonderful and easy to use as a daily driver or weekend toy. I would also suggest that while they have the tranny out change the stock shifter to a Ford Racing Performance Parts KR short throw shifter and changeout the transmission fluid to Royal Purple.

Archived