TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Arg Pirates, I tore up a stripe on my GTS

lbj

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

Like an idiot, I ripped a stripe on the back of my GTS.

What an airhead I am. I was sitting in my car in my garage with the door closed, and pushed in the clutch pedal.

The car gently rolled 2 feet backward striking the door.

I laid in an email to the stripe guy at SAI, a Mr. Turner and am waiting to hear back what pieces I need to order.

I am told they are precut.

Now I need to find someone in my area to pull the old stripes off and put on new ones.

I'm cracked about my stupidity here.

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

Stripe3_zpsb4f3af81.jpg

Stripe1_zpsb87dc4ab.jpg

After calming down a bit here, I guess I was lucky.

A bolt that holds the garage door handle is what contacted the car.. That handle sticks out an inch and aligned perfectly with the recessed area where the license plate goes so the handle itself did not hit the car. Plus, better a stripe gets ripped rather than a bumper scratch whereby the bumper would need repainting.

I can't believe there is absolutely no paint damage, not even the slightest hint of a scratch.

But still, lbj is an idiot!

Update:

Once I get the precut striping from SAI, the guy who did a great job on my 3M clear bra, is going to wet install the stripes.

I'm like Bob, stepping large and laughing easy... at myself.

ibj,

Just cosmetics - could have been worse (physical damage), so you restore it and life is good again. I had to have my front bumper stripes re-worked after one got damaged during a grill replacement. I had my Ford dealer's body/paint shop do the work. They're familiar with the material and processes and, more importantly, if anything comes out less than 100% satisfactory, they pay for new materials and eat the labor until they have it right.

Good luck with the replacement work.

All the best,

Quinn

Glad to hear the door is fine. That's the important thing. :)

This is a perfect illustration of why I actually like the use of the flexible plastic body panels that top gear makes fun of. I'd rather the bumper flex a bit in a minor skirmish with a stationary object than get dented.

Space age polymers are our friends.

I always close the garage door before exiting the car. If I hadn't, it may have rolled out of the driveway and into the street.

What a bonehead play today.

Sounds like something *I* would do!

Jer

I have a phase I like to use, it go like this:

"As smart as one can be, as dumb as one can be."

I must be like a rocket surgeon in terms of being brilliant cuz having my car roll into my garage door is off the chart stupid.

Now, if I can only get a call back from Mr. Turner, all will be well. I am sure he is swamped.

I did some roll testing in garage this morning. If I had pulled forward in my garage just one more foot, it wouldn't have rolled backwards. Figures.

I feel your pain! I had bonehead workers doing work outside of my garage and they leaned a ladder and a bunch of other stuff on the outside of the overhead door, and of course my son opened it from the inside and all that stuff landed on the hood of my GT-H. Not a good day for the workers or my son (not his fault), but I got the hood repainted and new stripes and I couldn't be happier!

Ah, bonehead moments; I'm an expert in this area, so I can help you with this one. Beyond asking the question, "what's the opposite of 'less off' " (Answer: More on)

Depending on how you deem the magnitude of the mistake, either take a large boot and put it on a broom stick for the purpose of booting your own a**,

or bang head into nearest wall a few times. You'll feel better in minutes. :banghead:

But overall, sorry it happened. :shrug:

I feel your pain! I had bonehead workers doing work outside of my garage and they leaned a ladder and a bunch of other stuff on the outside of the overhead door, and of course my son opened it from the inside and all that stuff landed on the hood of my GT-H. Not a good day for the workers or my son (not his fault), but I got the hood repainted and new stripes and I couldn't be happier!

That's pretty bad. Glad the repaint worked out.

...bang head into nearest wall a few times. You'll feel better in minutes. :banghead:

Yeah I already did that. I uttered a few choice words in such a manner of angry emotion, my dogs ran and hid from the sound.

When it got dark last night, I used one of my other cars to light up the back end with headlights to see if the plastic, I mean space age polymer bumper looked distorted.

It passed that test so it appears the striping is the only damage.

Garage rash. My old car had more damage from being in the garage than had actually happened driving it. Stuff falling over on it, garage door springs breaking on it, new roof being put on garage causing light fixture to fall on it, stray spray paint from a nearby project got on it from the wind and static, opening the other car doors too much and denting it, etc, I could go on. Hopefully your car will be fixed soon. Glad it was just the stripe and plastic.

Garage rash. My old car had more damage from being in the garage than had actually happened driving it. Stuff falling over on it, garage door springs breaking on it, new roof being put on garage causing light fixture to fall on it, stray spray paint from a nearby project got on it from the wind and static, opening the other car doors too much and denting it, etc, I could go on. Hopefully your car will be fixed soon. Glad it was just the stripe and plastic.

YIKES!! You need to start taking better car of your car or you might get kicked out of this group...LOL

Space age polymers are our friends.

I always close the garage door before exiting the car. If I hadn't, it may have rolled out of the driveway and into the street.

What a bonehead play today.

Funny you would say that... I pulled into my garage, got out and went inside. Sitting at the table having a beer, I looked out the front door and saw a Shelby sitting in the bushes across the street. Strangely enough it looked just like mine! :doh:

I jumped up ran outside and inspected it for damage. Nothing... Not a scratch! Keep in mind it jumped a 4" curb. Went between 2 big bushes and also passed my Jeep and Van parked in the driveway. Got in and drove it slowly over the curb and back into the garage.

Today I laugh about it, but it wasn't funny then...

This thread is somewhat entertaining if we can all laugh at ourselves over our mistakes with these cars. I think we should all contribute to it and I'll start.

I went to get a pet toy at the closest PetSmart and did what I said I would never do and that is pull in (as opposed to backing in) and suddenly, a cracking/scrapping sound was heard. Yep, I killed the CF splitter. I've told this story before but it's not over, so since then I've been extra careful to obey my pull in rule. Well, I went to go see my son's new place and I asked him if his driveway was flat enough. He says to me, "Oh yeah dad, no problems. It's almost as flat as home". So I get there, look at the driveway and it looks good enough. I SLOWLY pull in at an angle and soon hear the same sound as at PetSmart. Yep, the same thing happened. What I didn't see was a small piece of concrete sticking up in the middle of the driveway. To make it worse, my son not being a huge car guy says to me "Oh, that's too bad, wanna eat now". I wasn't even hungry.

Last week, I closed the garage door onto the backside of my car. Someone moved (me) moved the tire blocks. UGH!! Going to take my car directly to a repair place that the dealership sends their cars to. Will tell you how much it will cost. May have all 4 bumper decal sections replaced so that the colors match.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived