TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Another muffler thread

I've read through so many exhaust threads here and on other sites I'm nearly deaf from listing to YouTube videos and blinded from reading posts.

Here's what I have, ford racing shorties and Mac MMS mufflers. I really like the sound of the Macs but the drone is in killing my wife therefor killing me. The Macs are pretty loud and that's fine with both of us.....just can't take the drone anymore. In fact..........Either drone if you get my meaning.

Here's a few clips if what I have now.

th_IMG_0211_zpsf01530fd.jpg

th_IMG_0190_zpsc7efd664.jpg

Id appreciate any recommendations ?

keep your shorties, with O/R xpipe and stock mufflers.

I've read through so many exhaust threads here and on other sites I'm nearly deaf from listing to YouTube videos and blinded from reading posts.

Here's what I have, ford racing shorties and Mac MMS mufflers. I really like the sound of the Macs but the drone is in killing my wife therefor killing me. The Macs are pretty loud and that's fine with both of us.....just can't take the drone anymore. In fact..........Either drone if you get my meaning.

Here's a few clips if what I have now.

th_IMG_0211_zpsf01530fd.jpg

th_IMG_0190_zpsc7efd664.jpg

Id appreciate any recommendations ?

Dwain,

I have tried many exhausts and am VERY partial to the M-5230-S Ford Racing KR mufflers(as mentioned above). NO DRONE. Great sound and fit the vehicle perfectly. I have these on my Black SGT.

On the GT-C, I run Pypes Muffler deletes with my Kooks LT's because I wanted the most aggressive sound and I don't mind any drone or anything in this car---- and let me tell you....they are AGGRESSIVE.

Prior to that, I ran Borla (S-Types) on the GT-C with the stock setup. The Borla's have a very slight drone(ATAK's I am told do not have the drone) but it never bothered me in the least. The Borlas are also a great fit too......

My Borla S-Types have less than 200 miles on them ---- 4" tips ----are very nice. I would be happy to let you try them. If you like them, I'll sell them to you for a very fair price. I'm up here Dallas and could meet you 1/2 way or come down South to see you. Plus we said we wanted to get some of the Texas based GT-C guys together for a nice photo opportunity/lunch/etc.

Dwain,

I have tried many exhausts and am VERY partial to the M-5230-S Ford Racing KR mufflers(as mentioned above). NO DRONE. Great sound and fit the vehicle perfectly. I have these on my Black SGT.

On the GT-C, I run Pypes Muffler deletes with my Kooks LT's because I wanted the most aggressive sound and I don't mind any drone or anything in this car---- and let me tell you....they are AGGRESSIVE.

Prior to that, I ran Borla (S-Types) on the GT-C with the stock setup. The Borla's have a very slight drone(ATAK's I am told do not have the drone) but it never bothered me in the least. The Borlas are also a great fit too......

My Borla S-Types have less than 200 miles on them ---- 4" tips ----are very nice. I would be happy to let you try them. If you like them, I'll sell them to you for a very fair price. I'm up here Dallas and could meet you 1/2 way or come down South to see you. Plus we said we wanted to get some of the Texas based GT-C guys together for a nice photo opportunity/lunch/etc.

Let me start with the sound clip at idle sounds incredible! Nice lope! What makes up the GT-C package?

If Dwain isn't interested in the Borla "S" mufflers keep me posted. My 40th came with Borla Touring mufflers and IMO they are a little quiet. I purchased a set of pre-owned FRPP 5230 "KR" mufflers. They do sound great! However, I'm kind of a purist and want to put Borlas back on the car. I have two options. . .

1. Borla Touring back on but with an o/r h-pipe

2. Borla "S" with stock x-pipe

Either way I plan to keep the Touring mufflers even if in a box just to keep the 40th package complete

Fordfest, the GT-C stock exhaust setup is the same as the other SGT's. X-Pipe into the Ford mufflers.

My first route was Axleback only. I tried Flowmaster Outlaws. Liked the sound(some drone) but decided to go Borla as I had S-Types on a previous Mustang.

Then went all in with the Kooks LT's and Pypes Muffler deletes. It's over the top but I love it.

With that said, and not going the LT's route, I would have been content to stay with the Borla S-types. Great look, fit, and sound.

Dwain,

PM sent to you.

Dwain,

Those sound clips sound great! What have you done with the motor? It has a great lope! I'm not sure what the "C" stands for on this package.

Thank you. Comp thumper cams and FRPP shortie headers, 410 gears. The C is designated for Califorina. 215 were made for SoCal Ford dealers.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/compcams-muthathumpr-cam-0510gt.html

You certailnly have an exceptional sound at idle. And it sounds good when driving. But if you don't like the drone effect you obviously have to change. BTW, that orange and silver combo is HOT.

what are you thoughts on the FRPP shorty headers. How much increase in power and how much better is the sound.

You certailnly have an exceptional sound at idle. And it sounds good when driving. But if you don't like the drone effect you obviously have to change. BTW, that orange and silver combo is HOT.

what are you thoughts on the FRPP shorty headers. How much increase in power and how much better is the sound.

Thanks. I've never had the car on a dyno so I really couldn't tell since I installed the cams and headers at the same time. All I can say is it really pulls hard though the gears now. The fit and finish of the FRPP headers are excellent. BTW I'm also running 410 gears.

Dwain,

I have the KR mufflers (best price was from BuyFordRacing.com) and also using shorty headers. I'm using the JBA Ceramic Tuned Length shorty headers, and I added them after I had the KR mufflers on for about 6 months...but no other changes to the exhaust from stock (still same X pipe).

I actually liked the sound better before I added the JBA shorties, but still love the sound of the KR mufflers. Adding the JBAs smoothed out the sound and raised it about an octave in tone, but no drone with the KR's before and after the headers were installed. Since you have the Comp cams, you won't lose that lopey sound that the cams provide.

I think you would be very happy with the KR mufflers...fit and finish was excellent, and I also like the fact that I'm using FRPP parts. I think they may have actually gotten a slight bit louder over the past 2 months, but that just may be my imagination. It could be that they have fully broken in to provide their true sound after about 6,000 miles or so of use.

I have a sound clip, but I'm not sure if it is great quality or not that will really show you anything...I discovered that I truly loved the sound of these mufflers after I heard them on a real 2009 KR, and then made the purchase the next day...no buyers remorse at all.

I'll see if I can find the sound clip if you are interested...again, in person is really the best way to tell.

Hope that helps.

Andy.

man, i've been through all of this on my 2006 4.6L and now my 2007 5.4L. i've also experienced the blurred vision and tone deafness from trying to discern the difference between youtube videos. after awhile it all sounds the same.

as far as shorties are concerned, i found them to be a waste of time (and money) on my 4.6L. they didn't add anythiing noticeable from a sound or raw performance perspective, but they look great, shave a few pounds of the nose and supposedly keep the engine bay slightly cooler if you get them coated.

as far as drone is concerned, you might consider welding in some dynomax (or other) resonators between the cats and the mufflers, instead of changing mufflers. otherwise, you should stay away from borla touring and s-type, as they DO drone. in fact, only the FRPP GTAs, GTBs (bullitt) and KRs DO NOT drone. however, GTBs are extremely quiet compared to the other two. lastly, borla does NOT make the KR muffler, for the record.

Really? Then why don't they sell a Borla-branded version of that muffler like they do with all of the other FRPP mufflers, which ARE made by borla (5230-SGT, 5GT, SVT1)?

And is Borla also responsible for the m-5230-GTB (Bullitt Edition), which has the exact same tips as the KR? The KR muffler was created for racing in the FR500S Challenge Series and SCCA World Challenge GTS class and while I may not be sure exactly who manufactured them, I'm quite sure it was NOT Borla. The FRPP m-5230-GTA that comes stock on a 2007-2008 Shelby GT is also a Ford Racing product NOT manufactured by Borla.

Just got off the phone with Ford Racing Performance Parts tech line. The rep I spoke with believes the KRs (and GTA, GTB) with the OEM style tips are manufactured by any of of several vendors that Ford uses for all of their OEM mufflers, with a bit of engineering help from Ford and Ford Racing. Definitely not Borla's, which are mostly re-branded with only minimal engineering input from Ford.

FRPP did have a ceramic coated version for a while, but they have been discontinued. I just barely missed the end of the supply, and that is why I went the JBA route...seemed the closest thing to the FRPP product.

I think the production stopped about 2 years ago...I think Young768 has a ceramic coated set on his white 07 SGT.

Andy.

Dwain, those headers were stainless prior to being coated. they were coated after original purchase and never installed after coating.

I was wondering about that, thanks

FRPP did have a ceramic coated version for a while, but they have been discontinued. I just barely missed the end of the supply, and that is why I went the JBA route...seemed the closest thing to the FRPP product.

I think the production stopped about 2 years ago...I think Young768 has a ceramic coated set on his white 07 SGT.

Andy.

That's ironic.

Mine are ceramic coated and they were installed just shy of two years ago.

Archived