TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Just saw the movie, “The Getaway”.

Bill Hamilton

Just got back from seeing the movie, “The Getaway”, just me and about 12 other old folks at a matinee (LOL).

Wow, that Shelby in the movie must have been made out of the same metal that the 1957 Plymouth in the movie “Christine” was made out us. It seemed tougher than an M-1A tank. He must have wiped out the entire police department in Sofia, Bulgaria in the chase scenes or actually crash scenes to be more accurate. I was disappointed that the Shelby Super Snake in the movie wasn’t faster. The police Bimmers, MB’s, and what looked like VW Polo’s didn’t have much trouble catching up to the Super Snake. Kinda surprised his airbags never went off either as he rammed a bunch of cars and just kept going. Not much of a believable plot but lots of action, especially if you like crash sequences.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The idiot Ethan Hawke was interviewed and talked about the "hemi" power that Shelby Cobra had under the hood.

Well, if ya didn't know any better the centered plugs make it look a awful lot like a hemi.

Hmm, now that I think about it....Does the 5.4 have hemispherical shaped combustion chambers? With the 4 valve chambers, it MIGHT (which would technically make it a Hemi).

Phill

Ok, after a long wait for this movie, I too saw Getaway this am at the first showing and here’s my thoughts on it. There are no plot spoilers in this review.

Overall the movie was ok, not bad, not great, but an ok movie. I’d watch it again for the car alone, but I have to admit if it were a non Ford car one viewing would have been enough for this movie. Of course while they reference this as a Super Snake, there are a few things visually missing on the car. Not a huge deal and you can justify it by the fact that Selena Gomez says she modified it to her liking, so there you have that.

I found the sound editing annoying. Knowing that it was a supercharged car I expected to hear the supercharger whine all the time especially when they were in the car, but that wasn’t the case. The other annoyance was that Jon Voight said at one point that the car was armored and that would have to be some armor considering all the crashes they had in the first hour of the movie and the car was uscathed. Apparently the armor has a time limit because after the first hour, the last half hour they trashed the car with scrapes and bullet holes.

Ethan Hawke did a good job acting, Selena Gomez was so-so and the Shelby was awesome! :)

Ok, after a long wait for this movie, I too saw Getaway this am at the first showing and here’s my thoughts on it. There are no plot spoilers in this review.

Overall the movie was ok, not bad, not great, but an ok movie. I’d watch it again for the car alone, but I have to admit if it were a non Ford car one viewing would have been enough for this movie. Of course while they reference this as a Super Snake, there are a few things visually missing on the car. Not a huge deal and you can justify it by the fact that Selena Gomez says she modified it to her liking, so there you have that.

I found the sound editing annoying. Knowing that it was a supercharged car I expected to hear the supercharger whine all the time especially when they were in the car, but that wasn’t the case. The other annoyance was that Jon Voight said at one point that the car was armored and that would have to be some armor considering all the crashes they had in the first hour of the movie and the car was uscathed. Apparently the armor has a time limit because after the first hour, the last half hour they trashed the car with scrapes and bullet holes.

Ethan Hawke did a good job acting, Selena Gomez was so-so and the Shelby was awesome! :)

Can we say "Night Rider". Sounds like it to me. Cannot be any worse than the SS used in Death Race 2. They made Amy's car sound like a V6 in that movie.. Well at least they picked a Ford for the movies. The average Joe will not notice the differences regarding the cars like we can. I have not seen it yet, but I will wait for it to come out on DVD. Possible wait will be 2 months, so I can wait.

We had a group of 20 go see it at a local food, drinks, draft house theatre.

The theatre really treated us well, and it was good to get a bunch of friends together and hang out.

Houston had about 15 cars at a drive-in. Im sure that would have been better, but alas, we have no drive-in.

Selena Gomez looked like she was 12, and she can't act AT ALL. (I wasnt going to say anything negative publicly, but I just can't let her off the hook. Think casting mistake to the extent of Phillip Seymour Hoffman as the new Batman kind of bad.)

By far, the best actor in it is Jon Voigt. (When you see the movie, you may actually get a chuckle from this statement.)

I had the same criticisms with the newest Fast Five movie. If you seen that, you'll understand what im saying.

The movie features a real SS and many other stand-ins. They bought all their parts for the stand-ins from SPP, by the way.

Jer

They bought a HUGE pile of parts... my shipping crew saw the movie and CRINGED everytime they broke something! "Man, I packed that splitter SO carefully!"......

Jer

Being as it was all filmed as a chase scene in a city, the Shelby never really got a chance to stretch it's legs. I always loved the original movie Vanishing Point from 1971. That movie really showcased the white 1970 Dodge Challenger. The high speed chase scenes through the desert highways really made you believe you were watching a fast car. I didn't get that feeling in the Getaway. The cars chasing the Shelby had no problems catching up and staying with the Shelby. In reality, they should have been become a small disappearing dot in the rear view mirror. But It did sound good and you could hear the supercharger a few times. It was cheap entertainment on a weekday afternoon at a movie matinee and at least the popcorn was good. B)

They bought a HUGE pile of parts... my shipping crew saw the movie and CRINGED everytime they broke something! "Man, I packed that splitter SO carefully!"......

Jer

:hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2: ...................................that's spitting coffee out of my nose funny.

I won't get into it much - but I had a hard time believing that the base car was even a GT500. It may have been "dressed" somewhat properly, but there are a few split seconds where you can see hints of a Mustang other than a GT500. ---- Just a lot of technical issues I pick up on.

OOOHHH, sounding like I should not even bother wasting my money. I was planning on bad, but "worst ever seen", "waste of time", "Selena looks like she is 12" seem to paint a really bad picture of things.

Jer

OMG!! Jer - I laughed so hard thought I was going to lose a lung! :hysterical:

I'm a gearhead as much as the next guy here on TS, but a car won't make me run to the theatre to be the first guy in line....reviews are what I expected, and confirms that i'll wait until it shows up on HBO/Showtime etc., to view it...

Jer

:hysterical:

The movie features a real SS and many other stand-ins. They bought all their parts for the stand-ins from SPP, by the way.

Jer

They came to your for all the parts and you didn't negotiate a visit to the set? Or a cameo in the background somewhere? :drop:

Yeah, after a good nights sleep and a day to let it settle-

Shelby didnt have anything to do with the production of this movie, and I owe WB nothing if they are just gonna crap out a movie.

In fact, you could almost argue we are their intended market, so they SHOULD have shown the SS at what it does best.

If we take our Shelby favoritism out for a moment, does that movie change at all if they don't use a Shelby? No.

Maybe I should have drank more.

They came to your for all the parts and you didn't negotiate a visit to the set? Or a cameo in the background somewhere? :drop:

Nah, I'm not going to Bangkok or Thailand (or wherever they filmed it) anytime soon.

Jer

I won't get into it much - but I had a hard time believing that the base car was even a GT500. It may have been "dressed" somewhat properly, but there are a few split seconds where you can see hints of a Mustang other than a GT500. ---- Just a lot of technical issues I pick up on.

Jer said there were multiple cars used a real SS and some cars dressed as one. Pretty comon in movies to use 1 high quality car (known as a "hero" car) for the close ups and shots where it has to look good, and then other cars often built for specific purposes (jumps, slides, crashes, etc...) The Dukes of Hazzard movie used a bunch of different Chargers, one which had a full roll cage complete with all the driver controls on the roof where the real driver (Rhys Millens if I recall correctly) would do stunt driving while the actors were inside the car acting like they were driving for POV shots.

Just saw the movie. Not too bad. Lots of action and car crashes as advertised. Hated to see the movie super snake beat up but it made for some good action. Just wish my snake could take that kind of abuse and keep on going like that one did. I don't think there will be any Acadamy Award nominations for this movie but as I recall Vanishing Point or Bullet didn't do that well at the box office either when they came out. You have to love car movies to enjoy it and this one reminded me of those movies. We will have to wait a few years to see if it becomes a car classic.

It would probably have been better at a drive-in. I when to a drive-in to see Vanishing Point driving my brothers 70 Challenger RT, now that was a night. Cops were lined up at the exits to make sure no one got out of hand. A few miles down the road was a different story. That was the good old days.

Now I have to find out how to get a Gateway poster for my garage.

A good friend of mine, who is not a car guy said I have to see it, non stop action, little to no plot, but the driving etc is fun and they kick the crap out of a lot of cars. He did say a matinee or some other discount time would be best.

Archived