TEAM SHELBY FORUM

M1-Garand

I think my next acquisition will be an M-1 Garand rifle. Has anyone bought one from the Civilian Marksmanship Program. The requirements to buy from them looks rather daunting. For those of you that might have bought from them, was it a difficult process and how was the rifle you received.

I have picked up several Garands over the years from CMP and they were very good deals. About 6 years ago I picked up a "collector" that came back from Greece that was as new as when issued. There were rack marks on the wood but metal was perfect. If live anywhere close to Northern Ohio you can go to the North Store at Camp Perry, Ohio and pick a winner in person.

You better get 'em while you still can.

I just read a article on a Executive Order announced by VP Biden saying President Obama is halting "reimportation" of military firearms.

EDIT FOR LINK:

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20130829/US-Gun-Control/

Phill

You better get 'em while you still can.

I just read a article on a Executive Order announced by VP Biden saying President Obama is halting "reimportation" of military firearms.

EDIT FOR LINK:

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20130829/US-Gun-Control/

Phill

Yep. Real smart. Got to stop the flow of M1 Garands to the street. That certainly has been a huge issue in the past.

When they are gone, they are gone. And thank goodness. Lets look at how many times these weapons of mass destruction have been used in the last 10 years for drive by shootings. And they have a bayonet mounting. So now they can be used for drive-by bayonetings. And how many times have they been used in school mass killings. And how many times have they been used to hide under someone's hoody sweat shirt and then used to hold up a liquor store. OH.........that's right. They haven't been used at all. They are nearly 70 years old and are fantastic. If I had a junk M1 I would shoot it. If I had one in mint condition I would leave it unfired. They truly are a great weapon. And they do not have a detachable magazine so they do not fall under some of the idiotic assault rifle bans. But in the state of NY they are illegal because they hold more than 7 rounds. While the original caliber was 30-06 you can buy M-1's now with 308 and the ammo is probably easier to find. WORD OF CAUTION- MOST M-1 GARANDS SHOULD NOT USE 30-06 HUNTING AMMO. THE M1 WAS DESIGNED FOR A LOWER PRESSURE ROUND AND MOST 30-06 ROUNDS WILL DAMAGE THE WEAPON, INCLUDING THE OP ROD. AND BY THE WAY, DID OUR GLORIOUS KING OBAMA ALSO SIGN THE UN SMALL ARMS TREATY? WHICH WILL FURTHER PREVENT THE TRANSFER OF THESE TYPE WEAPONS FROM COUNTRY TO COUNTRY IN THE FUTURE?

• 2 weeks later...

Dont wait. You will be sorry if you do. Trust me

On another similar question,

Has anyone seen this?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=364458940

I saw one in cabelas Friday, so Im buying one of these while I can too.

What is it? It's basically a short barrel AR15, or an AR15 pistol with a butt stock shaped "forearm grip". Oddly enough, if you use the grip as it is intended, you can't look down the iron posts of the sights correctly due to how our arms line up with shoulders. Try and look straight down your arm from your shoulder, can't do it right? You look down your arm at an angle no matter how you do it. It's the same with this.

So why get it? Because you can of course!

that is amazing that ATF is allowing that to be called a pistol and a stabalizing bar rather than a stock. That is nothing but a rifle with an 11" barrel, which US Special Ops personnel are known to use for CQB.

There are other M-16/AR-15 pistols but it has always been illegal to attach a butt stock to one with a barrel length of less than 16 inches.

Yeah, I prefer the traditional AR platform. Shelby's are anything but practical but that does not seem to have stopped anyone on this forum.

:hysterical: Oh so true. Shelby cars and guns just seem to go together. Maybe we could combine the two at a Bash. :idea:

those short barrel are considered, by ATF, to be a pistol and it is usually illegal to mount a stock as then it would be a rifle with an 10 or 11 inch barrel which is illegal. So you are supposed to use it as it is. But the real problem with those is that the already marginal 5.56 bullet is further degraded dramatically by a lower muzzle velocity due to the short barrel.

those short barrel are considered, by ATF, to be a pistol and it is usually illegal to mount a stock as then it would be a rifle with an 10 or 11 inch barrel which is illegal. So you are supposed to use it as it is. But the real problem with those is that the already marginal 5.56 bullet is further degraded dramatically by a lower muzzle velocity due to the short barrel.

Got to agree with the performance issue. Best bet is to go with the 9mm version: http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=232

Personally I would NOT go with the 9mm version. Believe it or not but the 9mm is more likely to over-penetrate than the 5.56mm and exit the body. the 5.56 will hopefully tumble/yaw and do far more damage. Just keep the muzzle velocity over 2800 fps. Use lighter weight ammo such as the 45 or 50 grain.

Personally I would NOT go with the 9mm version. Believe it or not but the 9mm is more likely to over-penetrate than the 5.56mm and exit the body. the 5.56 will hopefully tumble/yaw and do far more damage. Just keep the muzzle velocity over 2800 fps. Use lighter weight ammo such as the 45 or 50 grain.

You should give the Colt AR6951 a try. A truly awesome platform. http://www.colt.com/ColtLawEnforcement/Products/Colt9mmSubmachineGunSMG.aspx Almost no recoil. Easy and cheap to shoot. For close range I will select it any day over my 5.56 ARs.

the 9mm is easy to shoot but again it is more likely to over penetrate and exit the intended target. And it will cause less internal damage than the 5.56 mm if you are using the proper ammunition. The 5.56 is dependent upon the proper ammo and velocity at time of impact. the 5.56 will not only (usuall) yaw (tumble) but it will often times fragment if travelling more thatn 2800 fps. It is the fragmentation that causes more damage than the yaw. That is why the 55 grain bullet is usually better than the 62 current military bullet.

any time the bullet exits the body it has lost all of that kinetic energy where as the bullet that stays in the body imparts all of that energy directly in to the body.

The process was not all that bad a couple of years ago. You just need to be a member of one of their "approved" groups and then fill out their paperwork --- at least that is how it worked before the recent Executive Order. The hardest part when I got mine was timing the request with available product. Mine took a few months to get the grade I wanted. After I got the gun I shipped it to an outfit in NY/NJ that specializes in Garand work. I did not want to tackle removing all the grease and also wanted them to completely go through it before I fired it. Got back a report that it was one of the better ones they had seen for a while.

I am sort of ashamed to say that since I got it back it has remained in the safe. Too many other rifles I am working with at the current time - benchrest, ar, tactical. I will say that I am extremely happy that I went through the program and got the Garand when I did. I would strongly suggest doing whatever you can to get one -- assuming that it hasn't already been ruined by the EO.

The process was not all that bad a couple of years ago. You just need to be a member of one of their "approved" groups and then fill out their paperwork ---

Yeah, pretty sure you're right.

My dad got a Colt M1911 though NRA when I was real little (CHEAP, from what I remember). He had it all of my life, up to his death a couple of years ago and somehow when he died, it 'mysteriously' disappeared. ALL of his other guns were accounted for but that ONE. I really wanted it but it is missing (I suspect little brother valued it and has it or sold it). I still have the 2 extra mags, a box of .45 ACP hollow points (minus the 7 that were in the gun) and the clam-shell holster for it. But no M1911 (A?) <sigh>.

I'm pretty sure it was the same type of deal as the M1, but belonging to the NRA is what qualified him? I remember dad mentioning that he could get a M1 the same way (he was a lifetime member of the NRA).

Phill

Yeah, pretty sure you're right.

My dad got a Colt M1911 though NRA when I was real little (CHEAP, from what I remember). He had it all of my life, up to his death a couple of years ago and somehow when he died, it 'mysteriously' disappeared. ALL of his other guns were accounted for but that ONE. I really wanted it but it is missing (I suspect little brother valued it and has it or sold it). I still have the 2 extra mags, a box of .45 ACP hollow points (minus the 7 that were in the gun) and the clam-shell holster for it. But no M1911 (A?) <sigh>.

I'm pretty sure it was the same type of deal as the M1, but belonging to the NRA is what qualified him? I remember dad mentioning that he could get a M1 the same way (he was a lifetime member of the NRA).

Phill

Yeah. I have a brother like that too. Took one of my weapons my dad was holding for me when I was stationed at a remote radar station in Alaska. Took me 25 years to get it back.

Archived