TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby speed shop insulting phone conversation

uford

I have been trying to get in contact with the Shelby speed shop for the past two days, called multiple times with no answer. Left two messages requesting a call back -- nothing. Finally got an answer this afternoon and was talked to like a child - very insulting. When I told them I was having an engine issue with my super snake, the first question was "is it a production super snake". When I replied it was, he transferred me to production customer service.

I called back and ask why I was transferred to customer service and he said the performance shop has nothing to do with the production cars. I told him the car was a 2008 and production would probably not know about an engine issue on a car this old

I tried to tell him all I was looking for was a little advice to see if they had seen this type of Issue before. He started with "I cannot tell you anything unless I know what you were doing when it happened such as your speed, engine RPM, and traction control setting." This was said in a fast and aggravated tone. I assumed from his tone I was dogging the car when it happened. He never one time asked what was going on with the car. When I was able to ask about the factory tune since the car did not come with a tuner, he directed me to Kenne Bell with no further help.

I hug the phone up extremely disappointed. We have traveled to Vegas on three occasions supporting Shelby, participating in bashes and fund raisers. Needless to say I am very upset at the treatment I received when I called to ask for help from someone with knowledge of this car.

If this is how they treat Shelby American customers, I will never let that shop touch one of my cars.

Probably not a great loss to Shelby American but I will not be doing business with them or recommending them to anyone in the future.

Wow sorry to hear about your bad experience! I have had nothing but utmost respect and great service from the speed shop and would trust no one else with my car. I would imagine that since your car is a production Super Snake you would talk to customer service. They do still convert the 07-09 so they should know something about them. I hope you get everything fixed very soon!

I did not get to talk to anyone at customer service, but did leave a detailed message on what the car was doing, the fault code, and what I have done so far to correct it the second time he transferred me to customer service.

I would have given the same information to the person at the speed shop, if given the chance.

All I was looking for from them was if they have seen the problem before and any other ideas they may have to fix it.

I thought the speed shop (mod shop) is different than the shop where conversions are done. That's probably what is being said by production cars vs performance shop. That said, maybe that's were the confusion was or is. Regardless, customer service is a minimum requirement and expectation with Shelby. This is not the norm from my experiences. I would try to contact someone at customer service and give them another chance to get you in contact with the correct person(s).

Good luck.

We have traveled to Vegas on three occasions supporting Shelby, participating in bashes and fund raisers. Needless to say I am very upset at the treatment I received when I called to ask for help from someone with knowledge of this car.

Try taking a deep breath, and give a call back to production customer service. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

With that said, I can't resist sharing a qoute from Clark Grizwald in "Family Vacation":

"We buy his toys, we go to his movies... he owes us. Doesn't he owe us!?"

I have been trying to get in contact with the Shelby speed shop for the past two days, called multiple times with no answer. Left two messages requesting a call back -- nothing. Finally got an answer this afternoon and was talked to like a child - very insulting. When I told them I was having an engine issue with my super snake, the first question was "is it a production super snake". When I replied it was, he transferred me to production customer service.

You need to understand that the Speed Shop is *not* a repair facility. That is, they do not diagnose and repair driveability problems.

They modify cars and engines.

Someone who can diagnose and repair a problem is a whole lot different than someone who bolts on a blower, or welds on a suspension part.

Phill

I did not get to talk to anyone at customer service, but did leave a detailed message on what the car was doing, the fault code, and what I have done so far to correct it the second time he transferred me to customer service.

I would have given the same information to the person at the speed shop, if given the chance.

All I was looking for from them was if they have seen the problem before and any other ideas they may have to fix it.

Wow, really sorry to hear this. As someone else said maybe someone was having a bad day, that said that does not forgive the customer service actions but I would give them another try.

I really relate to this on a whole other industry, airlines, specifically United but that's a whole other forum.

Take a deep breath, step back for a minute, persistence pays off. As my very knowledgeable wife tells me all the time, have a little grace and mercy, we live in a very broken world. Customer Service is a thing of the past but we can still get things handled by using honey not vinegar.

UFord... I have to agree that the Speed Shop has no dealings with the SS's. They may understand, but may choose to not get involved. Thus the direct to Customer Service. If you are not happy with the results of your call to Customer Service, I'd call someone up the food chain directly and work through them. Just a thought...

All the best with your solution.

Maybe the tone on the phone may have not been acceptable, but from what I read, everything they said was exactly what they should. The Speed Shop (separate company from Shelby American BTW) was not involved with building the car. If they make a suggestion, they can be held liable or responsible for what they said, when they don't know exactly what caused or is the issue without looking at the car. Would it be great to just have that contact which would have the suggestions and help that you are looking for? Absolutely, I understand that, but we live in a world of sue happy people, and they have to take that caution when giving advise since they don't know exactly what the issue is without having the car. Direction to production customer service or direction to Kenne Bell would be the correct answer. The tune would be a Kenne Bell one. It sounds like he tried to get information out of how the car was being driven when that happened to see if he could help. Asking these questions quickly tells me that he was trying, but really did not want to get to involved leading to poor information. Again, giving bad advise which could get them into trouble sounds like what they were trying to avoid. I do understand what you were trying to get, but can also understand the hesitancy of the answer you were looking for by whomever was on the other end of the call. I hope it all works out for you.

Hey Uford,

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having with the SS. Not trying to make excuses for the Mod Shop or SAI, but the move to the new location could have a few people on edge. I'd give production customer service another try. The few times I've worked with them they always helped me out.

Good luck.

Maybe the tone on the phone may have not been acceptable, but from what I read, everything they said was exactly what they should. The Speed Shop (separate company from Shelby American BTW) was not involved with building the car. If they make a suggestion, they can be held liable or responsible for what they said, when they don't know exactly what caused or is the issue without looking at the car. Would it be great to just have that contact which would have the suggestions and help that you are looking for? Absolutely, I understand that, but we live in a world of sue happy people, and they have to take that caution when giving advise since they don't know exactly what the issue is without having the car. Direction to production customer service or direction to Kenne Bell would be the correct answer. The tune would be a Kenne Bell one. It sounds like he tried to get information out of how the car was being driven when that happened to see if he could help. Asking these questions quickly tells me that he was trying, but really did not want to get to involved leading to poor information. Again, giving bad advise which could get them into trouble sounds like what they were trying to avoid. I do understand what you were trying to get, but can also understand the hesitancy of the answer you were looking for by whomever was on the other end of the call. I hope it all works out for you.

Naw Jeff, there's no liability issue. If I give you free advice and you take it, that's in your lap.

I know what the issue is, been there done that. I can't tell you how many phone calls I've answered at the shop where someone wants me to diagnose their problem over the phone. For the most part I'd tell them it could be 20 different things and I can't possibly diagnose their car without seeing, hearing and driving it.

The FIRST step in the logical diagnosis of a car is to confirm the customer complaint. You can't do that over the phone so when someone tells you "it's missing" it could be hesitating, or cutting out, or a number of other things.

I don't blame the Speed Shop for not giving out (free, mind you) information. But it does sound like they might need some "PR" classes.

Phill

Sometimes good customer service has less to do with resolving the problem and more to do with being sympathetic and apologetic to the person with the issue. Admitting and apologizing for not having the capability to help (no matter what the reason) and being sympathetic about this situation would have probably been enough to keep this thread from ever being started. If you answer a phone for a business then you need to be able to understand BASIC customer service.

Sometimes good customer service has less to do with resolving the problem and more to do with being sympathetic and apologetic to the person with the issue. Admitting and apologizing for not having the capability to help (no matter what the reason) and being sympathetic about this situation would have probably been enough to keep this thread from ever being started. If you answer a phone for a business then you need to be able to understand BASIC customer service.

Well said (agreed).

Phill

Update......

Received a phone messages from Ralph in customer service last night. Said he had forwarded my message to Craig the production manager and provided Craig's contact information. Told me to contact Craig for a possible solution. He also suggested that I may want to call Frank in the speed shop.

I called Craig this morning and left a detailed message. Craig called back this afternoon, was extremely nice, asked about the car, what it was doing, and any codes. He thinks it may be a tune issue and explained why in great detail. He is contacting Kenne Bell to get the proper tune sent to me. There are some logistics involved like sending pictures of my engine compartment so Kenne Bell can identify the correct tune based on the air intake configuration and a deposit for the programmer.

Totally different from the conversation with the speed shop.

To answer some of the questions asked in posts:

- I was not looking from the speed shop to diagnose my car over the phone. Just wanted to ask if they had seen this problem before and any suggestion. If he would have said they have never seen that problem before and had no suggestions in a friendly manner, it would have been fine.

- The issue with the car is it is going into fail safe mode and check engine light with a P061B (internal control mode torque calculation performance) fault code This has happened twice, first time in stop and go traffic at Myrtle Beach Mustang Week and then again pulling into a car show parking lot last Sunday. After the first time I researched several forums and found the three most identified solutions were the throttle position sensor, the throttle body, or the tune. I replaced the throttle position sensor with a Ford replacement and inspected and cleaned the throttle body. Thought I had if fixed until this last Sunday then it returned. Went back through the forums for any new information but found nothing new. That is when I decided to call Shelby for some possible help. Kinda picky about who touches the engine in the car so wanted some advice first.

I stepped back and took a breath as a few have suggested but still feel the speed shop treated me unprofessionally. The production side is a different story so far. Don't know if the new tune will fix it or not but at least they are making an effort.

Yeah, Im a big believer in the only wrong answer I can give is, I can't help you.

I come from a HEAVY CS background, and although my business has about as little do with customer service as any business out there, I always apply the philosophy.

Some of us are like that here, I suspect probably the majority.

The speed shop consists of guys out in a shop, working on custom builds. Combine that with the simple fact of -every mechanic or tech i have met worth their salt in their area of expertise has been a total egomaniac except like 2. A short fuse usually is a free bonus.

So that call went bad, I get it. However, you really do need to contact production, as it is what they do day in day out. If your problem has happened, THEY are the ones that have your easy answer or can point you in the right direction.

Every point of contact for any company should be the first step to an answer. You are not wrong to expect that.

Damn, and you make my post irrelevant after I write it out!

Lmao

Glad you got help. Craig is a true asset at SA.

Update......

Received a phone messages from Ralph in customer service last night. Said he had forwarded my message to Craig the production manager and provided Craig's contact information. Told me to contact Craig for a possible solution. He also suggested that I may want to call Frank in the speed shop.

I called Craig this morning and left a detailed message. Craig called back this afternoon, was extremely nice, asked about the car, what it was doing, and any codes. He thinks it may be a tune issue and explained why in great detail. He is contacting Kenne Bell to get the proper tune sent to me. There are some logistics involved like sending pictures of my engine compartment so Kenne Bell can identify the correct tune based on the air intake configuration and a deposit for the programmer.

- I was not looking from the speed shop to diagnose my car over the phone. Just wanted to ask if they had seen this problem before and any suggestion. If he would have said they have never seen that problem before and had no suggestions in a friendly manner, it would have been fine.

- The issue with the car is it is going into fail safe mode and check engine light with a P061B (internal control mode torque calculation performance) fault code This has happened twice, first time in stop and go traffic at Myrtle Beach Mustang Week and then again pulling into a car show parking lot last Sunday. After the first time I researched several forums and found the three most identified solutions were the throttle position sensor, the throttle body, or the tune. I replaced the throttle position sensor with a Ford replacement and inspected and cleaned the throttle body. Thought I had if fixed until this last Sunday then it returned. Went back through the forums for any new information but found nothing new. That is when I decided to call Shelby for some possible help. Kinda picky about who touches the engine in the car so wanted some advice first.

I stepped back and took a breath as a few have suggested but still feel the speed shop treated me unprofessionally. The production side is a different story so far. Don't know if the new tune will fix it or not but at least they are making an effort.

Sounds like you're on the right path now, Sandy.

Good luck on the fix. B)

Update......

Great to hear things are moving in the right direction.................. :happy feet:

This is absolutely the case, most issues are not that difficult to rectify but FAR more important is the sense that there is someone there to help. This is actually one of the defining principles of how we work. Even if I can't find the answer to a problem, I know who to ask....

I had a similar problem with my KB, It turned out to be the TPS getting hot, I went thur 3 different TPS before I found out why it was throwing same code, My TPS was too close to the supercharger and getting hot, the new ones are a bit thicker and I solved it by putting some header wrap between TPS and SC, cheers

+1 - Attitude is everything when it comes to customer service. I don't care whether the person who answered the phone had a bad day. That is no excuse for a bad attitude towards a customer. If that person cannot maintain a positive, customer oriented attitude, then he should not be answering the phone. Such a person can do significant damage to any business as evidenced by this thread.

Archived