TEAM SHELBY FORUM

'13 GT500 - Looking for idea's on how to protect radiator, AC, trans cooler fins from damage.

13Cobra

As everyone knows, there is no front grill on a '13/14 GT500. Looking for idea's on how to protect radiator, AC, trans cooler fins from damage. Thinking Stainless Steel mesh. I was wondering if anyone had a similar concern and what your solution was.

Although the 5.8 and the 5.4 share a lot of the same parts but, most of those parts have been modified to add more cooling to the motor. Now add the water to oil cooler and of course the stock 15 lbs of boost more heat. The HE on the 13 is twice the size of the 07s and is need to cool that 15 pound boost Are you really sure you want to restrict air flow in the front of the car.

There is a reason why Ford did not put a grill in this flying Pig. The 07 5.4 had a power to weight of about 8 lbs per HP and the 13 has about 6 lbs per hp stock. More power = more heat.

I am staring to rethink the pulley upgrades for the 13 because of the heat. I am thinking that a KB 2.8 will put it into the 700+ RWHP with out adding more LBS of boost, so less heat and more power (got to like it).

Nice writeup on the 5.8 http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_1203_2013_ford_shelby_gt500_trinity_5_8l_v8/

You planning on making any 200MPH runs or participating in a Texas Mile race day where the motor will be running full-boost for an extended length of time? Then there are plenty of 10-12 GT500 owners that would love to trade grilles with you.

You planning on making any 200MPH runs or participating in a Texas Mile race day where the motor will be running full-boost for an extended length of time? Then there are plenty of 10-12 GT500 owners that would love to trade grilles with you.

Terlingua

Having replaced two AC Condensors on my Mustangs, I have added this mesh for daily driving:

http://t.homedepot.com/p/Amerimax-Home-Products-6-in-x-36-in-Hinged-Gutter-Guard-Unpainted-85280/100002884/

I went to Home Depot looking for some type of simple but strong aluminum mesh or screen that would flow a lot of air, that would be easy to mount in front of the condensor. Found this screening in the gutter/downspout area of the store. Works great for daily driving, and simple to remove for track events. No more rocks in the AC.

- It is shiny aluminum, but can be easily painted black.

- So cheap, I keep a few spares in the garage.

I am kind of surprised about the concern some of you have about protecting the radiator/AC/trans cooler on your 2013/2014 Shelby's. Do you really think the cheap plastic grills on earlier model cars (and a lot of other cars on the road for that matter) provide any significant protection? The holes in the plastic grill on my 2012 are large enough to allow stones through that could easily do damage to the cooling fins. If the stone is too large to pass through the holes, you can be sure it will break the grill on its way to the radiator. Unless you drive on gravel roads or do driving in other areas with significant chances of stone damage, I think the risk is low. I drove the Alcan Hwy in 1975 in an F-100 pick up when 1200 miles of the road was gravel. In that case, I really needed protection and installed a chicken wire mesh in front of the radiator as well as plexiglass covers for the light lenses. Didn't save the windshield though. When I arrived in Alaska, it was so badly damaged I could barely see out of it.

I so far have hit two birds (Robin) with my 12 and lucky for me no damage what so ever. My OCD has even led me to even put screen mesh on the inside when I had my bumper cover off they help keep bugs out of the condenser. :shrug:

I so far have hit two birds (Robin) with my 12 and lucky for me no damage what so ever. My OCD has even led me to even put screen mesh on the inside when I had my bumper cover off they help keep bugs out of the condenser. :shrug:

Fortunately Robins are soft but rocks are not. The worst thing I have hit with my 12 in the last 1 1/2 years is a dragonfly.

575801_10201098445089930_2026112615_n.jpI put the 2012 grills on our 2013 to help protect the radiator since I drive the car almost every day on the highway. Not only to protect it from hard debris, but also to keep all the plastic bags from getting jammed onto the radiators & causing over-heating.

I'm looking to buy some good mesh to mount to the back of our 2013 grill and then I'll re-install them.

Archived