TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GPS Live Tracking for Car

OK, some of you know that I am organizing the "David's MUSTANG'S 50th ANNIVERSAY SUPER CRUISE" on April 15, 2014 (Tallahassee to Charlotte). I got this idea and need some info. Is their a Mobile GPS Tracking device that I can put on the Pace Car that will let people get on their Computer and track the Cruise up to Charlotte? This way, people can see where we are along the way to join us or just Track it for fun.

There is free mobile tracking software on the website below. It can broadcast a postion to maps via internet and an Iphone / Android.

Minor glitch is -- you need to be a licensed ham radio operator to transmit I believe. For a car ralley you could probably locate a volunteer ham to ride in the pace car for the event and, have no outlay of cash or setting up equipment.

http://www.openaprs.net/

This is a wonderful idea. Please keep us posted as you review the products.

This would be a great thing for my brother who loves to take cross county trips on his BMW motorcycle. He lives in AZ and is currently in TN headed to Canada.

I think its called SPOT. It started as a emergency locating device for mountain climbers and such, but I know of some one a couple years ago on my ATV forum used one to track his adventure in the jungle over seas. How he did it have no idea but I could log on to a page and watch his stops.

There is free mobile tracking software on the website below. It can broadcast a postion to maps via internet and an Iphone / Android.

Minor glitch is -- you need to be a licensed ham radio operator to transmit I believe. For a car ralley you could probably locate a volunteer ham to ride in the pace car for the event and, have no outlay of cash or setting up equipment.

http://www.openaprs.net/

I have a ham licence. Wish I lived closer. :banghead:

go to the apple app store and search for 'gps tracking', I found pages of them. Some are free others cost a few bucks

I do have an iPhone that I never turn off.........................does the Tracking App track my phone?

OK, some of you know that I am organizing the "David's MUSTANG'S 50th ANNIVERSAY SUPER CRUISE" on April 15, 2014 (Tallahassee to Charlotte). I got this idea and need some info. Is their a Mobile GPS Tracking device that I can put on the Pace Car that will let people get on their Computer and track the Cruise up to Charlotte? This way, people can see where we are along the way to join us or just Track it for fun.

You need to hire a Photographer (ME) to document this Historic occasion. :rockon:

A photographer with an Amateur Licence would be great. :superhero:

kstrong;

Basic, Morse Code, Advanced Class (1KW).

2004 Mustang GT licence plate:

VE3 KPS

:happy feet:

:camera:

I was thinking about getting this one just to see how it would work. It's cheap enough. Will I have to pay a Monthly Fee to use a Tracking device that everyone can log into?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-GPS-GSM-GPRS-Tracking-SMS-Real-Time-Vehicle-Motorcycle-Bike-Monitor-Tracker-/130962255491?pt=US_Tracking_Devices&hash=item1e7df56e83

I was thinking about getting this one just to see how it would work. It's cheap enough. Will I have to pay a Monthly Fee to use a Tracking device that everyone can log into?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-GPS-GSM-GPRS-Tracking-SMS-Real-Time-Vehicle-Motorcycle-Bike-Monitor-Tracker-/130962255491?pt=US_Tracking_Devices&hash=item1e7df56e83

Read this quote on their product:

"This device is high technical GPS product, please choose the professional organization or person that distributor designated to install and debug."

I do not see any software or app links. Requires a SIM card.

My opinion, Stay away, stay very far away. :salute:

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I talked with "Williams Communications" today. They said that they have just what I need. It is a Fleet Tracker that uses Google Maps with 10 second automatic updates (semi-real time). You do not have to click Refresh and it is unlimited on how many people can log on to track the Pace Car. To get set up, it is just under $300.00 which includes the first months Tracking and it is $29.95 a Month after that. There is NO contract and I don't have to do it all year. I was told I can track any months that I choose to. All I have to do is post the Login and Pass word on the Web Site and anyone & everyone will be able to Track my Pace Car for this Event, then afterwards I can cancel the Pass Word until the next time.

Archived