TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Harness Bar and Pads

Just finished installing SPP's harness bar and pads with a set of Corbeau harnesses. This is by far one of the best upgrades to be able to communicate with the car. I thought that I had car control before, but now I'm able to feel everything that is going on and correct before things go south.

The bar is a great piece originally from Corbeau, but with the addition of the Shelby badge it makes it look like it's a stock piece. The badge on the bar is the same one that's in our floor mats. It's been milled to fit the bar and looks amazing (thanks Cobra shop for the great idea!). Instructions from Corbeau say to remove the spacer from the top seat belt bracket and put the bar between the the spacer and the seat belt bracket. In an 07 SGT there are two spacers, not one like the instructions say. You need to remove one of the spacers completely. I tried to leave both in but there isn't enough space.

The connecting rods for the bar that go to the floor mounts are very easy to install, but for a cleaner look adjust on the bottom of the bar instead of the top. It'll help you avoid showing threads and help give that stock look. You'll understand what I mean when you install the rods, there's nothing wrong with showing the threads it just doesn't help the overall look.

One person can install the bar, but it would be a lot easier with two. It's one of those jobs where you need three hands to make everything fit nicely. I installed it alone, so it took a little more time to finish (about an hour and a half). It took an hour and a half to install one of the harnesses as well. Make sure you find adequate mounting points for the harness. I'm not sure where job locations with a stock seat set-up are, but there are plenty with my Corbeau seats and brackets.

The harness pads are a high quality as well. They are Corbeau pads, and thus the limiting factor in the colors department. Although, I don't really know what other standard color would look good. The addition of the SPP logo is great and looks like it was originally there. I would recommend Corbeau harnesses to go with the bar and pads, because together everything adds to a stock look. If you're not looking for something that looks stock I'm sure you could to something flashy that shows what you've done, but a stock look Jer, SPP, and Corbeau have definitely come up with some great products!

ShelbyHarnessBar.jpeg

ShelbyHarnessPads.jpeg

Are you at all concerned with being locked into an upright position without the ability to duck or move if you have some type of accident? I only ask because in researching new seats and rollbar/rollcage solutions, many people expressed an opinion that a 4 pt or 5 pt harness without a welded cage can be more dangerous than just going with the stock 3 pt system.

I don't have enough info to be informed on the topic but thought I would throw it out there to see if we can get more info. I want to do some more serious drag racing which would require a roll bar, if not cage but I don't want to cut up the inside of my car so I thought a removable solution (bolt in) would be the answer - that got shot down by everyone as being only marginally better than on roll protection ....

Very nice set up, I like the seats you have where did you get them and how much did that set you back? I have an electric driver seat do they attach to them and what did you do about the air bag sensor? Sorry for all the questions just wondered if that option would work for me.

Thanks

Are you at all concerned with being locked into an upright position without the ability to duck or move if you have some type of accident? I only ask because in researching new seats and rollbar/rollcage solutions, many people expressed an opinion that a 4 pt or 5 pt harness without a welded cage can be more dangerous than just going with the stock 3 pt system.

I don't have enough info to be informed on the topic but thought I would throw it out there to see if we can get more info. I want to do some more serious drag racing which would require a roll bar, if not cage but I don't want to cut up the inside of my car so I thought a removable solution (bolt in) would be the answer - that got shot down by everyone as being only marginally better than on roll protection ....

I'm on the way to a full welded cage, this is one a stop on the trip. The great thing about this set-up is that I can still use the factory belt whenever I want. I assume there are situations where this set-up would be more dangerous on the street than the stock way, but I also think that there are situations where this set-up could save your life on the street too. As always there are going to be people on both sides on the fence and you need to decided for yourself what you think is safe. I've called around to state and federal D.O.Ts and there is no law, or testing (that they could find), that said 5-point harnesses aren't safe on the street if installed on Grade 8 or better mounting points.

I'm looking at a bolt in cage that will be welded in, the reasoning for that is I want something that one cut up the interior too much but will still be just as safe. I've been looking at Cooltech and RPM Rollbars. Both look like good set-ups and the Cooltech will work with my Boss 302 X-Brace.

Very nice set up, I like the seats you have where did you get them and how much did that set you back? I have an electric driver seat do they attach to them and what did you do about the air bag sensor? Sorry for all the questions just wondered if that option would work for me.

Thanks

Edited with reply.

I got the seats from stage3motorsports.com shipped with the added slot for the submarine belt for $850 and they were worth every penny. I also have an electric seat base and was able to attach the Corbeau seat fairly easily, all is detailed in the thread below. If you have more specific questions feel free to ask away.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/79879-aftermarket-seats-on-drivers-power-base/

I've yet to deal with the air bag sensor, the light on the dash doesn't bother me so I don't think I'm going to worry about it. But, if you put a resistor in (I'm not sure what size it would need to be) it would cause the system to think that everything is as it should be. I also disconnected the seat belt sensor so that when I have the harnesses on I don't have to listen to the dinging constantly.

Just finished installing SPP's harness bar and pads with a set of Corbeau harnesses. This is by far one of the best upgrades to be able to communicate with the car. I thought that I had car control before, but now I'm able to feel everything that is going on and correct before things go south.

The bar is a great piece originally from Corbeau, but with the addition of the Shelby badge it makes it look like it's a stock piece. The badge on the bar is the same one that's in our floor mats. It's been milled to fit the bar and looks amazing (thanks Cobra shop for the great idea!). Instructions from Corbeau say to remove the spacer from the top seat belt bracket and put the bar between the the spacer and the seat belt bracket. In an 07 SGT there are two spacers, not one like the instructions say. You need to remove one of the spacers completely. I tried to leave both in but there isn't enough space.

The connecting rods for the bar that go to the floor mounts are very easy to install, but for a cleaner look adjust on the bottom of the bar instead of the top. It'll help you avoid showing threads and help give that stock look. You'll understand what I mean when you install the rods, there's nothing wrong with showing the threads it just doesn't help the overall look.

One person can install the bar, but it would be a lot easier with two. It's one of those jobs where you need three hands to make everything fit nicely. I installed it alone, so it took a little more time to finish (about an hour and a half). It took an hour and a half to install one of the harnesses as well. Make sure you find adequate mounting points for the harness. I'm not sure where job locations with a stock seat set-up are, but there are plenty with my Corbeau seats and brackets.

The harness pads are a high quality as well. They are Corbeau pads, and thus the limiting factor in the colors department. Although, I don't really know what other standard color would look good. The addition of the SPP logo is great and looks like it was originally there. I would recommend Corbeau harnesses to go with the bar and pads, because together everything adds to a stock look. If you're not looking for something that looks stock I'm sure you could to something flashy that shows what you've done, but a stock look Jer, SPP, and Corbeau have definitely come up with some great products!

Looks great! Thanks!

Jer

• 2 weeks later...

If you're racing the car, you certainly don't want this harness setup without roll protection. If the car rolls without a bar or cage and you're strapped in with these harnesses, you're a lot more likely to break your neck or worse.

Archived