TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2014 gt500 test drive

11konablue

I found a 14 GT500 for sale at a dealer with 1200 mi. Black on Black, I like the LED tail lights and overall appearance of the car, this one was fully equipped minus the glass roof. I took a test drive with the salesman, I noticed the clutch pedal engagement felt strange almost like the pedal is connected to a cam of some sort, it did not feel progressive it had an abrupt engagement near the end of the release, initially when taking off in first gear it seems as it is a little too high geared a lower first gear it seems would be better. The temperature outside was 105 degrees, acceleration on an on ramp the car does not feel very quick, with the car in 3rd gear at 70 same feeling, and I would guess the hot weather takes a lot of power away. I would like to know from people that own one of these your impressions of this car vs 2011 - 2012 , I did a search and found some 13 and 14 models with clutch problems and from the posts it would appear they are not covered by fords powertrain warranty and the parts when replaced need to be original equipment ford factory replacement or it may void the powertrain warranty with aftermarket parts, or when changing gear ratios. I could not find any posts of clutch issues with the 10-11-12 model years. Also the 11-12 models with the SVT performance package the driving experence seems more agile , clutch pedal and clutch engagement seems more precise and the acceleration felt stronger, the temperature outside was 75 degrees.

i can't really speak from experience regarding a '13-14 model, but i can say that the stock clutch uptake in these cars is pretty much like you described all the way back to the 2005 model Mustang GT. i've also read that the gearing is rather "tall"...even for 660hp. they did that to increase the fuel efficiency rating and to squeeze out the 200mph top speed. none of the prior GT500s are like that. in fact, shelby american even upgrades the rear gears in all 2012 and older cars to an even shorter 3.73 when they pass through vegas for modification. great for acceleration, but sacrifices top speed.

During open track/DE type events I experience a lockout of 5th gear (the inability to shift from 4th gear to 5th gear) under heard acceleration and at speeds in excess of 100+ mph. I can shift from 4th gear to 6th gear and then back into 5th gear, but not directly from 4th gear to 5th gear. The remote style shifters in the 2012 GT500 leads to very numb and inaccurate shits due to the rubber bushings…probably installed at the factory to reduce noise, vibration and harshness (NVH). Assuming the shifting issue was not the Tremec 6060 transmission but a binding shifter due to the heavy engine torque/large amount of movement in the flexible rubber bushings in the factory installed shifter, I attempted to rectify the problem by having an upgraded Barton shifter installed. During my last event at VIR I experienced the same problem, even with the upgraded shifter. I discussed the problem with an SVT engineer at the VIR event (there giving demo rides) and he just rolled his eyes and said he knew about the problem and suggested that I “just deal with it” and “the last thing you want a dealership to do is crack the transmission case open, as it will open a can or worms and likely lead to other problems down the line.” Needless to say I left the 3-day event very disappointed with the performance of my new Shelby and just assumed there’s nothing that can be done.

At the recommendation of a friend that happens to work at a local high performance Ford dealership, I called SVT to talk further about this problem. I spoke with Ralph Arning with the Ford Customer Service Division Mustang PVT/Launch Team at the Flat Rock Assembly Plant. Ralph explained that the problem was not with the shifter (although he agreed that the factory shifter was less then optimal) or the Tremec transmission, but with the clutch. In 2009 and prior GT500’s Ford used a smaller racing style Valeo unit which was changed in 2010 – 2012 to a larger 11” twin-disk clutch to accommodate the higher horsepower and torque. The larger clutch was very accommodating to the driver, but with more rotating mass and a low clutch reserve (only 30 – 40 mm), under heavy acceleration and higher speeds, you can’t get a clean release of the clutch due to a dragging block out. Ralph indicated the only true fix to the problem is to increase the clutch reserve by swapping out the clutch, slave cylinder and master cylinder from a 2013-2014 GT500 – a repair costs of approximately $3,000….and one that would NOT be covered under warranty….obviously NOT the answer I was looking for. Since the transmission/clutch/shifter all work fine at normal highway speeds, as far as Ford is concerned, there’s no problem and the car performs as it was intended to perform…on the street.

My GT500 only has 5,200 miles and spends most of its time during local cruise events and car shows. I’ve only been to the track on two occasions, both at VIR, and both with me leaving the track disappointed by my cars performance. How can Ford/SVT build supercars … now with over 650 horsepower and capable of speeds in excess of 200mph … equipped with track pack enhancements like differential and transmissions coolers, and say that this car is a street car and is not intended for track use…especially when they demo their cars on the track and brag about their outstanding track performance and handling characteristics? Seems a little misleading to me.

The remote style shifters in the 2012 GT500 leads to very numb and inaccurate shits

You should DEFINITELY get that checked out ASAP! :hysterical2:

Closer to topic:

I have been very lucky to drive every year model GT500 2007-2014. I didnt like the 2010 enough to trade my 2008 for it. 2011-2012 were the first upgraded gt500s I actually thought were better noticeably. Then when I got a chance to drive a '13, I knew I had to have it. (I ended up with a 2014)

Years from now, when the Trinity motor is long gone, the 2013-2014 will be sought after because of the 5.8 and all it did for the GT500. Remember, its the 2013-14 that will hold the title of most powerful production car produced in the US, most powerful production v8 in the world.

All the GT500s are awesome! But if you are in a position to buy one now, I cant think passing up on the latest model would be a decision you wouldnt regret.

ROUSH GR40- Keep in mind that warranty work varies from dealer to dealer. I know dealerships in my area that short of my car spontaneously combusting, its gonna be denied any warranty item. Thats just the way some are.

(The one that was closest to me once tried to deny a recall on another vehicle) If you got a problem, dont be afraid to bring a Ford regional rep into it. If they dont give you an answer, call Ford Customer Service. They are there to help, and the person that runs Ford Customer Service Warranty center is a serious car guy, a passionate collector, and one of the nicest guys I have ever had the pleasure to meet. You may not always get an answer you want, but you will be treated fairly. :salute:

2013 and yes I grew up with a clutch and a stick. Most definitely a faulty clutch. Owned a Ford dealership for years and have never seen such a catastrophic failure! Ford refused to pay for it. So bit the bullet on that one! Hope the new OEM clutch hangs in there! Love the car but am still pissed at Ford for calling this a wear item at 1,200 miles. Hell I could ride the clutch for 8,000 miles and not have this happen. It had to be a bad batch of discs because I am far from the only one just the first one to talk a service manager into letting me take a pic, denohew

denohew,

Maybe 1,200 miles creeping up Lombard Street in San Francisco might do that, but yours is definitely a defective part!

I would have bumped your complaint up to the regional level to get some action. It's not too late. This isn't good press for Ford...

4e08e0b7c0fad_zps70beeb94.jpg

If you were paying, you should have considered aftermarket.

McLeod has an awesome RXT setup for the 13-14 GT500.

Saw it at SEMA last year.

Have a McLeod RXT in my 07 and would never consider an OEM again.

I would say something is wrong with the car you tested. A 3rd gear pull on the highway is the best gear pull for this car. Having owned a 2012 with SVT pack, the 2013 on the highway would walk circles around my 2012 GT500 at any speed no comparison between the two. The 2013 and 2014 is the least effected by heat soak, so the car is not effected as much by the heat as the older GT500's. If you thought the older GT500's felt stronger than something is wrong with the car you drove. A 2013 will put allot of distance on highway against the other years stock vs stock.

Archived