TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2014 ROUSH STAGE 3 ALUMINATOR vs SHELBY GT500 RACE

FURAFURA

If the Roush is to be considered a "Modified" Mustang (car), the Shelby should be too.

The Shelby is a Mustang GT with a larger displacement motor (5.8L vs 5.0L) with a (2.3L TVS) Supercharger added plus the suspension differences (the counterpart to a Roush RS3).

The Roush is a Mustang GT with a 'like' displacement *forged* motor with a (RS2300 TVS) Supercharger added plus the suspension differences (the counterpart to a Shelby GT500)

The Shelby also comes in "three stages of tune".

1. Base

2. Performance Pack

3. Track Pack

The MSRP on both is close to one another so this is darn near a "apples to apples" comparison.

Phill

I disagree with you Phill. Mainly because Roush as an aftermarket brand is not boxed in to Federal oversight and regulations like Ford is. This is why you can take a bone stock Shelby and add a tune for a significant jump in HP without any other changes. Since Roush doesnt have to worry about Warranty or Federal Regulations in the manner Ford does, they already have their package producing the maximum they feel is a conservative maximum. This is the true definition of difference between a factory produced stock car, and a modified car. You cant use the NASA or AIX definitions for that very reason. Also, there is no tuning differences on any configuration of the Shelby, with the only exception being the speed limiter on the convertible. I was told Thursday when I asked that specific question to an SVT engineer, its not at all because of the vert being less stable, or weaker in chassis. It is solely because the top, even in closed position tends to tear off the structure over about 175 MPH. LOL

The track pack and performance packages are differences in suspension, cooling system, and wheels. The launch control and electronic driving programs only apply to the traction control, steering feedback and shock stiffness. They have nothing to do with what the torque or hp numbers the gt500 is producing.

However, I know you tend to not see the other side, so I will just accept that we can agree to disagree on those points. :salute:

But your Mustang GT argument is total BS. If thats the case, all these cars are in fact, V6 mustangs. And if you are gonna lump them all together, then you miss the whole point of what SVT and Ford Performance has done with the mustang chassis. Its frankly an insult to all the work SVT has done to the GT500 to make the car what it is today. I call that "beancounter mentality", and begins a slippery slope to the "Why bother building a performance mustang at all?" argument.

Enter the King Cobra II...

Maybe we really are destined to repeat history.... :cry:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to admit: There was an earlier comment about this being 'Simple physics' which is where I must disagree. This is not only not simple physics, but, as I've learned, when we talk physics on paper we tend to not say "there it is because it is".

Prime example was rail cars drag racing; physicists said that idea wouldn't work at all on paper.

Granted the 'on paper' argument in this case is being used to defend the results of the field test. Either way, I'm not sure what the huge argument is over.
Especially the Mustang GT part. Name one rational buyer/seller that would ever consider that thing "just a powerful mustang gt". Bring the Shelby GT owners in to that argument too while your at it lol.

Really good point. What a great deal for Roush! Smart. Shelby does the same thing with their take off parts.

Obviously there are some simple facts here that you are not aware of. You are in no position to describe other posters opinions or statements as "BS".

I disagree with you Phill. Mainly because Roush as an aftermarket brand is not boxed in to Federal oversight and regulations like Ford is. This is why you can take a bone stock Shelby and add a tune for a significant jump in HP without any other changes. Since Roush doesnt have to worry about Warranty or Federal Regulations in the manner Ford does, they already have their package producing the maximum they feel is a conservative maximum.

However, I know you tend to not see the other side, so I will just accept that we can agree to disagree on those points. :salute:

You might want to check "your facts" there, Warren. Roush does indeed have to adhere to CA and FED regulations. I know that there is (was?) at least one model that was NOT for sale in CA but was 49-state legal. I just can't remember which one and frankly, I'm too lazy and disinterested to go look through the Roush site to find out.

Roush also keeps the Factory warranty intact, at least on previous year models (not sure about the Aluminator, specifically).

As for my tendency to not see the other side, you're wrong. I'm more than willing to see and accept counterpoints, when someone actually has a VALID counterpoint. No, I am *not* easily convinced...I'm one of those 'strange' kind of guys that actually want to see facts, not opinions.

Phill

I have to admit: There was an earlier comment about this being 'Simple physics' which is where I must disagree. This is not only not simple physics, but, as I've learned, when we talk physics on paper we tend to not say "there it is because it is".

Hmm. So I guess a lighter, more powerful car defies the laws of physics.

That means Carroll Shelby must have been a idiot because THAT is exactly what he based his AC Cobra on.

In his own words....

"There are two ways to make a car faster. You can make it more powerful or you can make it lighter..." (He did both)

Phill

Torque wins drag racing, put the same tires and the same gearing as the Roush stage 3 has and the GT500 will win. The GT500 has the more powerfull motor its torque comes on sooner and it has more of it. The GT500 with better gearing and traction will beat the Roush because it has more Torque. Torque wins the battles. The times they turned in the GT500 are not much better than a Boss mustang they need a driver mod for that GT500 he sucked.

Checking the Ford Racing site, I see that the XS Aluminator crate motor has a $16K price tag on it so it looks like Roush is giving you back ~$8K for your STOCK/OEM engine if they're only charging $8K for the optional Aluminator.

Phill

Phill

5.0L DOHC ALUMINATOR CRATE ENGINE FOR SUPERCHARGED APPLICATIONS
M-6007-A50SC*
Suggested Retail Price
$9,179.00
This is the engine Roush is using in the Aluminator package, Check the ford racing page link, and this price is with free shipping to your door, so is 9000 not 16000 for this engine.

I agree that the Roush being a lighter car w/ different gearing and tires, should be quicker in the 1/4 mile, not so afterwards.

Remember that the Roush is a modified car that comes in three stages of tune and the Shelby is a stock car w/ 300 more pounds of weight.

I own two GT500s, a 08 convertible and a 2013 coupe w/ the track pack option which I recently mildly modified w/ a VMP pulley, a cobra jet throttle body, 128mm JLT intake and a Jon Lund tune.

This car has been transformed and I know that there are few cars on the street including GTRs that could keep up with it. I think it all comes down to choices and we should be grateful that we get to have them. Bang for the buck you can't beat Shelby, Roush or Ford!

On a side note I happen to be selling my 08 GT500 convertible, it's got 6900 original miles and over 30k in mods. It's in concours condition and it's at the Ponce Ford Dealership (787) 651-0000

I am asking $43K for it and it's the only one PR.

will take a look at it!

Thanks!

You might want to check "your facts" there, Warren. Roush does indeed have to adhere to CA and FED regulations. I know that there is (was?) at least one model that was NOT for sale in CA but was 49-state legal. I just can't remember which one and frankly, I'm too lazy and disinterested to go look through the Roush site to find out.

Roush also keeps the Factory warranty intact, at least on previous year models (not sure about the Aluminator, specifically).

As for my tendency to not see the other side, you're wrong. I'm more than willing to see and accept counterpoints, when someone actually has a VALID counterpoint. No, I am *not* easily convinced...I'm one of those 'strange' kind of guys that actually want to see facts, not opinions.

Phill

Didnt mean to insinuate you are wrong and won't see the right. Hope you didn't take it that way. Your opinions are usually dead on and are based on solid ground. That said, Roush selling a 49 state legal car is exactly my point. Ford cannot do anything like that, Roush can. Now, that doesn't mean Roush can strap a jet engine to a trunk lid with some bailing wire and call it a boosted Stage 103, but they can get away with less conservative tuning, and changes to exhaust, etc. you know, that kind of stuff. We can add a different pulley, and tune and get 75-100HP on our stock gt500s. The Roush is already set up with a max pulley and tune from what I understand.

That will beat a $70K GT500!

Phill

Base 14 GT500 ( coupe ) is $ 54,800.00.....................add $ 15,200.00 in mods, now they cost the same.........................re-run the race......Roush markets a nice package that performs well......but it's a 70K GT.

Base 14 GT500 ( coupe ) is $ 54,800.00.....................add $ 15,200.00 in mods, now they cost the same.........................re-run the race......Roush markets a nice package that performs well......but it's a 70K GT.

A "base" Roush would be a RS1, not a RS3 Aluminator.

An Aluminator is a optioned out Roush. A optioned out (PP & TP) '13 GT500 is $69.5K.

Compare Apples/Apples, not Apples/Oranges...

Phill

Phill, but that's not an apples to apples comparison either bud.

Your comparing a build that has an engine swap with a build that has a cooling package and suspension upgrade, ZERO HP or Torque gains. Im not understanding what you think changing out the entire engine has to do with changing out wheels, a suspension button and better cooling?

In ANY form, a GT500 puts out the exact same power from the factory. The differences in the Roush RS1 and RS3 is substantial.

If you wanna compare apples to apples, try comparing the RS3 to a Supersnake, as you would at least be getting a factory built mustang with performance upgrades to both.

A base GT500, 55k + 30k SS package against a base mustang GT, 30k + 40k RS3 package. That would be apples to apples.

If you are comparing performance for money, you can't include the 15k in options you can put on the GT500 as NONE, not a single one add 1 HP to the build.

A "base" Roush would be a RS1, not a RS3 Aluminator.

An Aluminator is a optioned out Roush. A optioned out (PP & TP) '13 GT500 is $69.5K.

Compare Apples/Apples, not Apples/Oranges...

Phill

You misunderstood my point.

Take a base GT5OO....................add $ 15,200.00 worth of performance upgrades, not ( PP & TP ) ......................( blower, tires, UCA, LCA, etc. to make up the $$$$$ difference )..............then re-race.

Phill, but that's not an apples to apples comparison either bud.

Your comparing a build that has an engine swap with a build that has a cooling package and suspension upgrade, ZERO HP or Torque gains. Im not understanding what you think changing out the entire engine has to do with changing out wheels, a suspension button and better cooling?

In ANY form, a GT500 puts out the exact same power from the factory. The differences in the Roush RS1 and RS3 is substantial.

If you wanna compare apples to apples, try comparing the RS3 to a Supersnake, as you would at least be getting a factory built mustang with performance upgrades to both.

A base GT500, 55k + 30k SS package against a base mustang GT, 30k + 40k RS3 package. That would be apples to apples.

If you are comparing performance for money, you can't include the 15k in options you can put on the GT500 as NONE, not a single one add 1 HP to the build.

You don't need a S/S to outrun the Roush, you don't even need 15K in the right mods to get job done.

You don't need a S/S to outrun the Roush, you don't even need 15K in the right mods to get job done.

True that, but my previous posts to that effect are not acknowledged.

So its either a comparison based on money, which means a gt500 for 55k base model vs. the Roush's RS3 for 70k

Or

It's a comparison based on aftermarket performance packages which has to use a SS for comparison. Either one has its merits, but to compare a fully loaded stock GT500 to the same Roush is nothing more than cooking the books to get the result you desire.

My point was that while the Roush's aluminator is great, and fast, the comparison is strictly a propaganda marketing tool as the Roush is maxed unless you are dropping serious coin on drivetrain weaknesses and fuel delivery VS. a stock GT500 that is a pulley and tune away from making the Roush its bitch.

It was posted that the dealer that produced the video sells both cars and didnt care which came out on top, but he is clearly wearing a Roush shirt, and I was underwhelmed by the gt500 results. In fact, they were not using the launch control program in it, you can tell by the engine revs at the line.

+1. Bottom line: As usual, everyone goes after the top dog to beat. In this case, a modified Mustang GT with aftermarket parts vs bone stock GT500.

You can't drag race a beast like the GT500 with stock tires. It's like driving on an ice skating rink. It was amazing that the car still ran a 12.2 with the goodyears and bad driving.

Evolution Performance ran 9's on a '13 GT500 with just bolt-ons and the stock supercharger. The 5.8 has more HP/TQ potential than the 5.0.

The Roush is a great car, I've seen them in action. It has all the right parts to handle and go great. It costs more than the GT500, so you get what you pay for. I believe the Shelby/SVT product gives you a better base vehicle out of the box to build from and I dare say (not that I care at all about future "value" of these cars because I don't) will be desired by more collectors in the future.

I think one of is confused here, and I *think* it's you. But I could be wrong so please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

So let me see if I have this right;

An base GT500 + $30K SS package ($54.8K + $30K = $84K), which makes it a POST TITLE car (and STILL at 662HP) vs a $30K + $40K ($70K) RS3 PRE TITLE car is...."apples to apples"??? How do you figure?

Yes, Roush installs a different motor into a Mustang GT (ONLY on the RS3 *ALUMINATOR*, not on the standard RS3) then calls it a Roush Stage 3 Aluminator, just like Ford puts a different motor into a Mustang GT, then calls it a Shelby GT500.

The only (primary) difference is I see here is, the Shelby gets the different motor on the Assy. line and the Roush gets it after the Assy. line.

Yes or no?

Phill

I think one of is confused here, and I *think* it's you. But I could be wrong so please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

So let me see if I have this right;

An base GT500 + $30K SS package ($54.8K + $30K = $84K), which makes it a POST TITLE car (and STILL at 662HP) vs a $30K + $40K ($70K) RS3 PRE TITLE car is...."apples to apples"??? How do you figure?

Yes, Roush installs a different motor into a Mustang GT (ONLY on the RS3 *ALUMINATOR*, not on the standard RS3) then calls it a Roush Stage 3 Aluminator, just like Ford puts a different motor into a Mustang GT, then calls it a Shelby GT500.

The only (primary) difference is I see here is, the Shelby gets the different motor on the Assy. line and the Roush gets it after the Assy. line.

Yes or no?

Phill

Well, your not wrong Phill. I really don't see the GT500 as being a modified Mustang GT though. I mean, by that standard, isn't a Mustang GT a modified V6? I use the Supersnake comparison because its putting 30k of performance upgrades on a Ford stock car vs the Roush 40k of performance upgrades on a ford stock car. I realize you spend more for the Shelby. I realize one is aftermarket and one isn't. I also realize that the Supersnake has about 1.5 seconds on the Roush in the 1/4 mile.

Please explain to me what your point is?

Are you saying the Roush is a better deal because the video has it beating the GT500?

Are you saying the GT500 is just a mustang GT with a big fat pig of an engine slapped into it without much thought?

It seems like you are tiptoeing around the conclusion you seem to have drawn. If you are basing it on your 2010, is it possible you are missing a few details? You seem to think that the track package and performance package add some sort of comparable performance to the gt500, but since it doesn't, why would you use that to compare to the Roush upgrades? Is it simply to make the price of the gt500 fit the price of the Roush?

I mean, if you really like the Roush over the Shelby mustang GT with a big engine, would you maybe rather have the RS3?

Im not following you I guess, because I know you love your Shelby. Do you have some beef with the 2013-2014?

Im truly curious to have answers to these questions. I don't mean to bombard you with them, its just that something just isn't adding up.

The Shelby has much more than just the engine over a GT, Phill. You know that.

Yes, I know that...and so does the Roush RS3 (Aluminator or not). We are after all, trying to get as close to a direct comparison as possible, right?

I see people trying to skew the features of a Shelby in a effort to try and convince others that the Shelby is so much less expensive than a RS3 Aluminator and therefor the Shelby wins out on price vs performance. I'm trying to make a concerted effort to keep it as close to a direct comparison as possible, i.e. "Apples to Apples".

So let's do a comparison;

Roush:

Start with a Mustang GT and add:

Roush Stage 1 (RS1) = Appearance upgrades (interior & exterior).

Roush Stage 2 (RS2) = RS1 + Suspension upgrade (shocks, springs, swaybars, tires...Brakes?

Roush Stage 3 (RS3) = RS1 + RS2 + Supercharger upgrade (from NA to SC).

Shelby;

Start with a Mustang V6 or GT/5.0 (it doesn't matter which one, it's a Mustang but for comparisons sake I'll stick with a GT/5.0) and add:

Shelby "base" = Appearance upgrades (interior & exterior), increased engine displacement (5.8L vs 5.0L), supercharger and suspension upgrade.

Shelby PERFORMANCE Package = Shelby base + shocks, struts, swaybars, wheels, tires...Brakes?? (I can't remember if you get better brakes with a PP).

Shelby Track Package = Shelby base + Perf. Pack + Transmission cooler, rear diff cooler, engine oil cooler, Recaro Racing Seats (may be more, I honestly don't remember for sure).

Both are pre-title cars.

Both have similar TYPES of upgrades although the Roush has a higher "level" of suspension upgrade over a Shelby PP or TP (more akin to the Ford Racing FR-3 handling package).

I don't see how someone can say how that is a apples to ORANGES comparison. It's about as close to apples/apples as you can get. It may be somewhat of a red apples to green apples comparison, but none the less, apples to apples.

When you add the PP and/or TP into the Shelby equation, the PRICE comparison is as close to exact ($70K vs $69.5K) as you're going to get.

People are trying to compare the Shelby GT500 *base* model to a RS3 Aluminator because that would skew the equation and give the Shelby a advantage with the price comparison ($55K vs $70K). My point it, that's NOT a apples/apples comparison unless you are willing to concede that the RS3 has a superior suspension, wheel/tire and seat package over the Shelby.

My point is that the Shelby GT500 TP is a closer comparison to a Roush RS3 Aluminator (which is NOT the same as a 'standard' RS3, which is less expensive but has less HP than an RS3 Aluminator) and in fact it about as close to a *direct* comparison as you can get.

Phill

Well, your not wrong Phill. I really don't see the GT500 as being a modified Mustang GT though. I mean, by that standard, isn't a Mustang GT a modified V6? I use the Supersnake comparison because its putting 30k of performance upgrades on a Ford stock car vs the Roush 40k of performance upgrades on a ford stock car. I realize you spend more for the Shelby. I realize one is aftermarket and one isn't. I also realize that the Supersnake has about 1.5 seconds on the Roush in the 1/4 mile.

Please explain to me what your point is?

Are you saying the Roush is a better deal because the video has it beating the GT500?

Are you saying the GT500 is just a mustang GT with a big fat pig of an engine slapped into it without much thought?

It seems like you are tiptoeing around the conclusion you seem to have drawn. If you are basing it on your 2010, is it possible you are missing a few details? You seem to think that the track package and performance package add some sort of comparable performance to the gt500, but since it doesn't, why would you use that to compare to the Roush upgrades? Is it simply to make the price of the gt500 fit the price of the Roush?

I mean, if you really like the Roush over the Shelby mustang GT with a big engine, would you maybe rather have the RS3?

Im not following you I guess, because I know you love your Shelby. Do you have some beef with the 2013-2014?

Im truly curious to have answers to these questions. I don't mean to bombard you with them, its just that something just isn't adding up.

See my previous post to try and tell you what my point is.

That may or may not clear up about half of your questions. If you can ask 1 or 2 questions per post, It'd be considerably easier to reply. Otherwise, I'll have to write a novel to answer them all in one reply.

As for something "not adding up", I agree. But I see it not adding up on YOUR end. You're trying to base your 'comparison' on a car that isn't comparable ('base' Shelby vs. RS3 Aluminator) in a effort to get a advantage by underpricing the Shelby but as I explain to Secondo, that would mean the Shelby would get ATE UP by a Roush RS3 (Aluminator or not) on a Road Course.

Apples to apples pal, not apples to oranges. If we're going to compare, let's be fair about it and now try to bias the facts to either one of our advantages.

Gotta run (company is here),

Phill

Phil, you sound beginning to sound like Bill O'Reilly. Apparently you clearly have something against the 2013-2014 GT500s, which I don't understand because after all you do own a 2010 GT500. Maybe is because like myself you have spent a lot in mods in your car,(I,own two GT500s a 2008 and a 2013) and are unable to accept that the 2013-2014 GT500s have improved substantially compared to previous years, and perhaps you're looking to somehow downplaying them by saying that the are modified mustang gts (which they are not), and glorifying the Rosh RS3 aluminator (which by the way it is a modified mustang gt) because it posted a better 1/4 mile time by being 300 pounds lighter and having a dfferent gears.

The '13-'14 are the best of the GT500's, hands down. All GT500's were built to be an Shelby/SVT product at the factory. No conversion needed. The Roush is a completely different animal, specifically converted GT 5.0 with Roush handling and power upgrade parts, and as DubsFaris pointed out, maxed out with not much room, if any at all, for improvement. Put the same gearIng and tires on the Shelby with similar upgrades, spending an amount to equal the price of the Roush and it will outperform it IMHO. Just changing the pulley will do that, any more will blow it away. Change the gears and put drag radials on that 5.8 and there's going to be a very embarrassing day for the Roush. For less money. This is not to say that the Roush isn't an awesome car, because it is. It better be for $70k though!

You guys forget you are driving a modified GT, your "Shelby" is not made by Shelby is made by Ford SVT on a Mustang GT base car, (like it or not!!) I understand our passion for this vehicles but please don't be blind folded, all Mustang variants are based on the same Mustang that we all know, Shelbys, Saleens, Roush and "real" Shelbys SS or 350s, they all are based on the SAME Mustang, unless some of you have evidence that the GT500 is based on the Viper or Corvette, or that Carrol Shelby build the powertrain, body panels and interior on the Las Vegas Factory, then I believe is not a modified GT. I love all Mustangs, they all have their pros and con, so enjoy yours and don't underestimate the others variants!! Believe me, if you bought your GT500 thinking you will sale it for $300,000 in 20 years, you will have a rude awakening, and you will also believe that you will became Millionaire buying Iraq dinars on internet!! :hysterical2:

With at least 4000 GT500 a year since 2007, the total looks like about 32,000 GT500 on the street so far. Very far away from the Shelby's 1960's production numbers.

For example, Roush only build 616 cars in 2011, so go figure out witch car will be the rarest 20+ years from now, and I know I wont get $300,000 for mine either!!

I will try to find a video where the Shelby wins over the Roush to make some of you happy!!

As for something "not adding up", I agree. But I see it not adding up on YOUR end. You're trying to base your 'comparison' on a car that isn't comparable ('base' Shelby vs. RS3 Aluminator) in a effort to get a advantage by underpricing the Shelby but as I explain to Secondo, that would mean the Shelby would get ATE UP by a Roush RS3 (Aluminator or not) on a Road Course.

Apples to apples pal, not apples to oranges. If we're going to compare, let's be fair about it and now try to bias the facts to either one of our advantages.

Gotta run (company is here),

Phill

Im not sure I see the advantage you refer to. Can you not get a GT500 for 55k that has the same power and 1/4 mile performance as a fully loaded 70k GT500? If not, I'd like to know why. Now what the heck is this about a road course? I haven't seen that yet...

But, I see your intention in your previous posts, just kind of surprised by your position on it. You don't like the 2013-2014 GT500 as much as the Roush. Okay. No problem bud. The Roush is a great car.

You guys forget you are driving a modified GT, your "Shelby" is not made by Shelby is made by Ford SVT on a Mustang GT base car, (like it or not!!) I understand our passion for this vehicles but please don't be blind folded, all Mustang variants are based on the same Mustang that we all know, Shelbys, Saleens, Roush and "real" Shelbys SS or 350s, they all are based on the SAME Mustang, unless some of you have evidence that the GT500 is based on the Viper or Corvette, or that Carrol Shelby build the powertrain, body panels and interior on the Las Vegas Factory, then I believe is not a modified GT. I love all Mustangs, they all have their pros and con, so enjoy yours and don't underestimate the others variants!! Believe me, if you bought your GT500 thinking you will sale it for $300,000 in 20 years, you will have a rude awakening, and you will also believe that you will became Millionaire buying Iraq dinars on internet!! :hysterical2:

With at least 4000 GT500 a year since 2007, the total looks like about 32,000 GT500 on the street so far. Very far away from the Shelby's 1960's production numbers.

For example, Roush only build 616 cars in 2011, so go figure out witch car will be the rarest 20+ years from now, and I know I wont get $300,000 for mine either!!

I will try to find a video where the Shelby wins over the Roush to make some of you happy!!

Uh, you don't have to make me happy dude. My car does that all on its own. As far as telling us where this car is built, who had a hand in it and how many Ford has built: I think we all got a fairly decent grip on that. I've shook the hands of the guy that designed it, the guy responsible for the S197, the head engineer of SVT, that guy that has his name on the back of the trunk lid you feel didnt have much to do with it, hell even the two guys responsible for putting my 5.8 together. Im pretty sure I have a working knowledge of this particular car. I didnt buy it because I wanted a rare car, an investment opportunity, or even because it has the Shelby name on it. I have a Raptor and a SHO, and I didnt buy either of them for any of those reasons either. I love Ford performance, and they make something that fits almost every class for that purpose.

Like I say to Phill- Roush is great, but I didnt want a Saleen, a Foose, or a Roush. I wanted a Ford built, SVT designed, hand built powerplanted, most powerful v8 in America. If it has Shelby plastered on the trunk lid, then all the better in my book.

You and Phill both want to call this a modified Mustang GT, I ask again, if its that, why not just say its a modified base model?

Cuz its not. You guys are ready to cut SVT out of the equation, and its a total insult. The GT500 is a Mustang GT like the Raptor is a Regular F-150. Im not saying the GT500 is untouchable. What Im saying is that if I was gonna beat it, I'd buy a 87-91 notchback, drop a 5.0 aluminator in THAT, and put about another 25k in power and suspension mods on it. Then you have a car that beats them all for half the cost. How's that for an apple?

The point I tried to make in post # 3 was the stage 3 package is a 70K GT.

If you take a base GT500 @ $54800.00 & add performance parts, ( non OEM ), like Roush does, there would be no comparison.

( in spite of the 300 lb. weight difference )

$ 15200.00 buys a lot of performance.

In my comparison, apples = $$$$$, nothing else.

The only car Shelby built from scratch is the Series 1. Some Mustangs were converted at the shop, some weren't. The distinction with the new SVT models is that they were designed and built at the factory to be Shelbys by SVT Team AND Carroll Shelby himself. It says so in the VIN. And it's a completely different world now vs the '60's You can't compare the production numbers of the 60's cars vs today, most of the '60's cars sat on dealer lots unsold for over a year, today the supply closely meets demand. Which is why there are so fewer Roushes, Saleens, etc. From what I've seen, there are more Roush and Saleen clones out there than the real cars. The 7-8k a year production of GT500's is a small number of total Mustangs produced per year (avg about 125-150k). Don't get me going.

Archived