TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Extreme Brake and Watts Link Install

shelbypt

I finished my installation of the front and rear extreme brakes on my old 2008 GT500KR. I'm really happy with the results. The brakes are awesome, no leaks, and no squeaks!! :happy feet:

The day the packages arrived!! Very excited!! Thanks Jer and Tim - Everything came in with no issues t/o the install. Well, except the Watts link instructions were not good. The first time you put the Watts link on, you will learn a lot. If you can do it with someone who has done it once before, that will be a plus. I didn't have that option and I will try to describe some of the issues I had later.

IMG_4213_zps2c2fb3de.jpg

The brake parts are out and ready for install.

IMG_4224_zps3b94ec7d.jpg

Taking the old Brembo's off.

IMG_4225_zps3a095b64.jpg

New front Extreme Brakes.

IMG_4227_zps6aae7231.jpg

IMG_4228_zpsf9ba524b.jpg

IMG_4230_zpsdfd3e737.jpg

New CS lower control arms.

IMG_4237_zps5df651d3.jpg

The emergency brake and backing plate installed.

IMG_4238_zps81ed5419.jpg

Rear brakes installed.

IMG_4240_zps12fb77eb.jpg

IMG_4241_zps03befa6e.jpg

Here are a few pics of the KR after the brake install.

IMG_7383_zps6e7129bb.jpg

IMG_7388_zpsf72330f7.jpg

IMG_7393_zps6eae645f.jpg

IMG_7400_zpsd333bc36.jpg

IMG_7414_zps3d7f5f9a.jpg

Watts Link to come next...

Have all the parts and lined up the way it will install on the car. In the instructions, for the propeller shaft bolt install, it states there are (2) washers that go on before the nut. Nope, it's just one. The O-rings are placed on both sides of each shaft bearing to keep dirt off the bearing and to probably cushion the bearing and the support structures it attaches to.

IMG_4370_zps22a56b13.jpg

If you have a KR, you have to rotate the breather elbow 90 deg. so that the passenger side clamp will install onto the axle tube.

IMG_4371_zps429d2ec2.jpg

IMG_4375_zpseec925e3.jpg

Now the watts link is in but no bolts are torqued. I would install everything first before torquing anything. That way you can make sure everything is aligned and the watts bars with end bearings are equal length and parallell to the ground or rear axle.

IMG_4373_zpsa5eb2407.jpg

The propeller shaft bolt has to go in before lifting the watts link up, becasue there's not enough room to put it in once the watts link is bolted up.

IMG_4376_zps5f466a98.jpg

IMG_4378_zpsc987ef08.jpg

IMG_4408_zpsc6ab8132.jpg

IMG_4410_zpsf2734014.jpg

IMG_4411_zpsadf60776.jpg

IMG_4406_zps1b4690e5.jpg

IMG_4403_zps7e2573a9.jpg

Enjoy the new set up and I bet you'll love the Watts Link. I still have to upgrade my brakes and going with the Wilwoods as I can actually get those behind my deep dish wheels. Just waitin' on a sale... hint, hint Jer.

Enjoy the new set up and I bet you'll love the Watts Link. I still have to upgrade my brakes and going with the Wilwoods as I can actually get those behind my deep dish wheels. Just waitin' on a sale... hint, hint Jer.

Those Chicanes are beautiful. I was looking at those and struggling between them and the Alcoas. Your car looks awesome!!

Those Chicanes are beautiful. I was looking at those and struggling between them and the Alcoas. Your car looks awesome!!

I had the same struggle. The Chicanes won out due to the deep dish I was looking for, but the Alcoas gave me a moment of pause. Thanks for the kudos and you have a sweet ride as well.

ShelbyPT, awesome upgrade to your KR. Do you track your car? Would love to know how different the car handles and brakes under extreme conditions. The brakes look great. How long did it take to accomplish?

ShelbyPT, awesome upgrade to your KR. Do you track your car? Would love to know how different the car handles and brakes under extreme conditions. The brakes look great. How long did it take to accomplish?

The front brakes took me about 4 hours. The rear set up took about 8 hours. The watts link took me 8 hours, because I had never installed a watts link before and the instructions were not clear. They say it should only take 2-3 hours to do.

I don't track my car, but would like to at some point. The brakes are magnificent and work really well. As soon as you tap on the brake, you feel the car slowing a lot quicker than before. I didn't really expect much from the watts link, but when I test drove it, the car felt firmer in the corners and I took off a few times from a dead stop with the traction control off and the car stayed almost perfectly straight. I like the upgrades!!!!!

Some don't agree about the Watts Link being worth the money to install, but I think it is one of the best upgrades I've done. Glad you are enjoying yours.

Watts link is one of those great "bang for the buck" upgrades. You may not see it but you'll sure feel it.

Brakes look perfect on your KR & should serve you well at the track. Gonna be a full time job keeping em clean - but they sure are purty!

The Watts link, to me, was one of the best upgrades I've done. I felt the difference the moment I pulled out of my driveway. It was as if the back of the car FINALLY listened to the steering wheel!

Jer

The Watts link, to me, was one of the best upgrades I've done. I felt the difference the moment I pulled out of my driveway. It was as if the back of the car FINALLY listened to the steering wheel!

Jer

+1

Same experience here. It was like the argument between what I was asking the car to do and what it wanted to do ceased and the beast was finally tamed.

Sounds like this is the weakest like in the whole suspension system, KR included. Maybe the new 15 model will have the talked about IRS system. I will just send my car up to ShelbyPT's garage to get it installed!!

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like this is the weakest like in the whole suspension system, KR included. Maybe the new 15 model will have the talked about IRS system. I will just send my car up to ShelbyPT's garage to get it installed!!

Lol, that would be great. I could do it a lot faster now!!

I wasn't sure what to expect, but as soon as I made sure the install went well from a drive and some normal turns. I rechecked torques, slip marked the nuts and bolts and took it out harder. I could feel the car track the curves better. I also took the traction control off and accelerated through the gears, with much less side to side, "swerving motion".

• 4 weeks later...

I wasn't sure what to expect, but as soon as I made sure the install went well from a drive and some normal turns. I rechecked torques, slip marked the nuts and bolts and took it out harder. I could feel the car track the curves better. I also took the traction control off and accelerated through the gears, with much less side to side, "swerving motion".

Thanks for the very detailed photos. Might have sold me on this product. I noticed your Shelby lower control arms. Was there a decision about the original location over using the lowering adapters? I am really thinking about installing some suspension upgrades once I get back to my GT500......whenever that may be :(

Archived