TEAM SHELBY FORUM

CL ad - '09 KR for sale in Austin

Bushmaster

I spotted this ad today and thought I'd post it up here. The price seems low but I'm not super familiar with KRs. He didn't mention the odometer and I'm guessing it might have some miles on it. Or is that price not lower than average? Anyone here familiar with the car?

I've been pondering supercharging my SGT but I've always had a thing for black KRs and as much as I love my car, it occurred to me that I could get a hundred more horsepower for considerably less expense than doing the deed to my car. Is there anything in particular to look out for if I decide to look for a GT500, or specifically a KR?

Here's the link: http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/3945795261.html

I see a lot of things wrong. For starters, it has the wrong hood and chin spoiler. That could be an indication that the car was in a frontal wreck. Rims also look to be 20's...not original either. Under the hood: Polished supercharger, blue valve covers, and cooling tanks are not original to the KR, neither are the cooling caps, P/S cap, and master cylinder cap. Wrong cold air intake. Blower looks to be a different manufacture. Instrument cluster gauge on the dash not stock. Floor mats aftermarket. Even the snake emblem in the front grille AND fender are wrong ! No carbon fiber covers on the side mirrors either.

This car is NOT a KR !

Get me a VIN # and I'll disprove that this is an authentic KR. Can you say, false advertisement ?

That is definitely not a KR. It has the GT500 rear spoiler. That being said, it looks to be a nicely modded Shelby. That polished Whipple, the 20" Alcoas, Super Snake CF front spoiler, SS guage pod, signed air bag cover (if authentic). This car could be a pretty good deal for someone depending on its mileage, but I'm not a fan of them representing it as a KR. GL.

I sent the owner a message just for grins but haven't heard back from him. After looking at a bunch of CL ads for GT500s, it's obvious that his price would be very low even for a non-KR car. If I get a reply from him, I'll post it up here.

I sent the owner a message just for grins but haven't heard back from him. After looking at a bunch of CL ads for GT500s, it's obvious that his price would be very low even for a non-KR car. If I get a reply from him, I'll post it up here.

If it's for real, it looks like a pretty good deal. The price isn't *that* low, but it's a bargain.

Everyone's already pointed out the obvious. Project 321 caps, polished Whipple but that's not a Ford Racing CAI so likely a tuner kit, Super Snake hood and splitter, 20" Alcoa wheels, blue FRPP cam covers, Shelby aluminum PS, radiator and IC tanks so likely the Shelby or C&R heat exchanger too, FRPP/KR brake duct kit, shock tower covers, redline hood shocks, etc.

I'd make damn sure I saw the car & title in person before handing over a penny. That's the typical scam, car is somewhere else and you can't see it, they'll want you to pay for it sight unseen.

Let us know what/if you hear back, just curious.

Phill

Maybe what I was seeing on other CL ads wasn't typical, but almost all the GT500s I saw (non-KR) were in the 35k range, and the only two or three KRs I saw were over 50k. I'm sure there might be regional differences, too, but at any rate, 31k seems very low for a KR around these parts.

31k seems very low for a KR around these parts.

$31K *is* low...For a KR.

EDIT: But that's not a KR.

I've seen 2010 GT500's selling for low to mid 30's though. Not with those mods, but you'll rarely get back much on mods so like I said, that's not a SPECTACULAR price but it is a bargain.

Phill

If I could find a '07-09 GT500 for around what that guy is asking for whatever it is, I would probably get serious about it. I prefer the looks of the '07-09s but it would have to be a low-mileage example and a great price for me to want to let go of the SGTC.

But at the end of the day, with a GT500 I could get a couple hundred more horsepower for far less than it would take to get another hundred (about the realistic limit with the stock 3v short block) in mine. And I like the looks of the '07-09 GT500 about the best of any late model Mustang. We'll see what shakes out.

the thing about cars that have been modded is...their loss, your gain. you can always remove what you don't want and add what you do. and when consider the true cost of modding (researching, shopping around, buying, shipping, installing) i personally think it can be better than starting from all stock in many cases. plus, some mods for these cars are already discontinued so you benefit from getting "period correct" parts. of course, the best option would be to have both cars. i'd love to have an '07-'08 shelby gt beside my gt500.

That can be true but it depends on the mods. If it's true bolt-ons you're right, but anything involving getting the heads off or more, all I give the seller credit for is the parts themselves, since I don't know who did the work or how. There are just so many sketchy shops out there - it's best not to trust that the work was done right. Same philosophy I use when buying a race motor.....unless I know the builder personally or was there for the build, all it is is a collection of parts that I have to spend my labor on disassembling and reassembling. And even that can be very risky - I've seen plenty of motors that were full of junk instead of what the seller claimed.

One thing's for sure - any money you spend modifying one of these cars is money out the window, and that's especially true on Mustangs (Fox on up) where the majority of buyers are looking for the least modified car they can find.

These C/L scammers have "evolved" in that they now ask a much more "believable" price for their ad's but still an apparent "great deal" for the most part by not asking $5000 for a $300,000 show car because they are in Iraq and need the money to pay for their Mother's hospital bills or whatever.

I've seen this before, just copy the complete heading of the ad to Google and you will see that this exact same ad listed for sale in Austin, Miami and the San Fransico Bay Area (among others I'm sure).

You may notice that each ad has a different email address.

Lotsa dirtbags out there!

Wow.....Good catch, SSSNAKE.

Phill

These C/L scammers have "evolved" in that they now ask a much more "believable" price for their ad's but still an apparent "great deal" for the most part by not asking $5000 for a $300,000 show car because they are in Iraq and need the money to pay for their Mother's hospital bills or whatever.

I've seen this before, just copy the complete heading of the ad to Google and you will see that this exact same ad listed for sale in Austin, Miami and the San Fransico Bay Area (among others I'm sure).

You may notice that each ad has a different email address.

Lotsa dirtbags out there!

Correct. These scammers have evolved from their broken English ads to now copying details from legitimate for sale ads.

The easiest way to spot scams is to go with your gut instinct.

Steve

Archived