TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford Racing to offer GT500KR wheels for sale

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what did he say about the wheels?

Mike purchased just over half of the available wheels. He intimated that many FRPP dealers were caught off guard with respect to the "KR" parts that FRPP decided to make available for sale. Not long after he made his initial order he tried to get more and they were gone - in a matter of minutes. IIRC, he mentioned that Ford was simply no longer going to keep carrying this inventory and as such decided to move them.

+1 on that! I purchased my FRPP 62 mm Throttle Body and then the Boss 302 brake lines from Mike and had a perfect experience from them. I didn't realize he would have some KR wheels available. Does BuyFordRacing.com have an allotment??

Andy.

I'd contact Mike soon if you plan on purchasing a set.

My wheels were shipped from Gary Yeomans in Daytona Beach.

I got my photos. Two bad spots on one wheel.

P8243462_zpsfe6fa374.jpg

P8243463_zps2875a7bf.jpg

One wheel was dura bright (on the right) and three were a mirror polish (on the left).

P8243473_zpsac187881.jpg

All wheels were used and dirty, light scuffs.

It took me a little time to figure out how to post photos. I hope this works.

Mike

So how does one tell if the rims have the dura bright finish or not?

I'm wondering if it's that little "db" logo on it that signifies Dura-Bright or not.

Hmm....

Phill

I saw on one of the wheels the "db" that made me think that wheel was dura bright and the three others did not have the "db". Side by side the two wheels appear to be a little different in the finish. It could just be my old eyes or they may be different because they are from a different batch/lot. Going the speed that I go, no one will notice and looking from the International Space Station, no one could see the difference. But my luck at the car show, someone will notice and I will get marked down a point. I recently lost points for three pieces of grass on my trunk carpet and not detailing my clutch pedal.

Talked with the seller on the phone today. No solution yet. They did not offer any possible solutions and I did not demand anything. The seller did say that they are searching for some new wheels to make this right.

Mike

I'm wondering if it's that little "db" logo on it that signifies Dura-Bright or not.

Hmm....

Phill

The db symbol on the rims does signify that it has a Dura-Bright finish. That being said I have never seen a KR with original factory wheels that had the db symbol. I thought that SA’s Vista Blue with 20” KR Alcoa’s had the db symbol but I just check my pictures and it does not. From what I understand all Alcoa’s have the Dura-Bright finish, but it appears to me that the unmarked rims have a more brilliant finish, almost as if they have a clear coat that the db marked rims do not. My guess is that there are first and second generation Alcoa’s.

My intention was to buy a second set of KR rims for a restoration 30 years from now. Unfortunately the rims they sent me were crap and for a perfect restoration I wouldn’t put a KR rim on my car that had the db symbol.

Alan, the Durabrite finish is so brilliant it is like looking into a mirror.

I will attempt to add info on my purchase in hopes of easing concern about wheel markings. I ordered a set of four 2008 GT500 KR wheels from an eBay ad for $1099.00 with free shipping, the lister is identified as "emustangparts".

The rims arrived in what appeared to be two large original shipping cartons from the manufacturer and each carton held two sealed Ford Racing boxes with the wheels inside them. None of the cartons had been previously opened and each wheel had a gauze covering on the face of the rim.

I searched high and low and did not find any stamp by Durabrite. The inside of the rim near the TPMS sensor has a number of stickers with scan codes and a manufacture date sticker.

Engraved on the backside of the rims is the following:

Alcoa Forged Made in the USA - F1307 18x9.5 Machine GA023623 - 11/25/08

They all appear to be of the same brilliance. While I have not taken off the protective covering yet I don't expect coloring to be different.

I hope this info doesn't add to the confusion.

what protective coating?

I'm glad you asked that because I just learned something more. Each wheel has a greenish/yellowish tab on the face that reads peel here. I assumed that it was to remove a thin protective cover like you see on LCD screens or a TV screen. Your question prompted me to go to the garge and pull one of the "Peel Here" stickers and it doesn't seem to be anything than a sticker. There is no protective covering of the finish.

So now I'll probably spend the night wondering why they put a sticker on the rim that simply says Pull Here.

I had not given any thoughts to the lug nuts. Are you thinking the OEM nuts are not long enough or some other physical issue or is it the finish you are concerned about?

As Phil (2010KonaBlueGT) often says, I believe I am over thinking this.

Mine had the peel here sticker too...I also wondered how many phone calls that prompted.

When I called, they told me it is a quick release sticker so you can pull the sticker, the wheel automatically comes off the car and you can put on a new wheel and tire for fast tire changes at track day events. I was also told the sticker does not work at Autocross events, just track days for some unknown reason.....

Andy

Mine had the peel here sticker too...I also wondered how many phone calls that prompted.

When I called, they told me it is a quick release sticker so you can pull the sticker, the wheel automatically comes off the car and you can put on a new wheel and tire for fast tire changes at track day events. I was also told the sticker does not work at Autocross events, just track days for some unknown reason.....

Andy

I knew those stickers were there for a reason. Thanks for clarifying...

The green stickers are used for balance when the wheel and tire are mated to form an assembly. They are typically affixed opposite the valve stem (but not always). For example, I picked up a set of KR take-off wheels from Buyfordracing a few years ago. I mounted the pair of 285's up front and they only had approximately 3 miles on them when they removed. Note the green sticker on the wheel and how it lines up with the red dot on the tire...

a>

I later added a set of 2010 coupe wheels but don't have any shots of them before I took the stickers off. I then replaced those with a set of 2011 PP wheels tires. Again, note the green sticker and red dots...

IMG_7886.jpg

IMG_7904.jpg

I ended up changing those for a set of 2013 base wheels/tires. I had just peeled off the green stickers on those before photographing them but they were right next to the red dots on the tires...

IMAG1007.jpg

IMAG1006-1.jpg

The green stickers on the wheels are for balance purposes, not wheel finish purposes.

Andy

:hysterical2::hysterical: I needed that

Tob,

Thanks for the great explanation.

I received my wheels today from buyfordracing.com and am 100% satisfied.

All 4 wheels are...

...without the "DB" logo.

...without a valve stem installed.

..."new", never mounted.

...with TPMS.

...with "peel here" stickers.

...with correct center caps installed.

...shipped in the original Ford Racing boxes, then double-boxed for shipment to me.

...and with what I believe to be the durabrite finish. If you look up close across the surface, you can see a slight "wave" pattern in some locations (some it's the spokes, on other's it's on the outer band near the lettering). It almost looks like fish-eye and is very hard to see, but I believe that is the telltale sign of an applied surface finish over the polished wheel.

buyfordracing.com is emustangparts on eBay and has a higher price to cover eBay's fees. Unless you want to pay more, just buy them from the buyfordracing.com web site. You still get free shipping, and can use PayPal and get PayPal buyer protection.

I also bought a KR handling kit, short-throw shifter, and shift knob. Since I don't like seeing 2 dissimilar plastics touching each other over long periods of time, I peeled the wrap back slightly on the white shift knob to prevent any discoloration (but still kept it on the original card).

JDB, you're not likely to ever see any color bleeding or discoloration from the vacuum packing that FRPP used over the KR stick, ever. I just inspected the shifter/stick I purchased from Buyfordracing and about the only thing that may go bad after lengthy storage would be the included Ford threadlocker.

BTW, I talked with Mike and it looks like he's already moved 75% of the KR wheels he has. Better move quick if you are leaning towards ordering a set.

Just ordered 2 sets (8 wheels) one for my car and one for my wife's car. She is super excited to get these and so am I. I thought I would never be able to own a set of these and at this price it is a killer deal. $2098.00 for 2 sets :happy feet:

Good for you Rob (and the wife!).

I've always felt that there would be difficulty in artificially inflating the price of some of these parts by trying to limit and control the supply. Only works for so long until interest eventually dies down. Once the allotted time passes and the floodgates are opened the prices settle to where they should have been in the first place. Actually, these are priced lower than where they could have been had they been available to anyone that wished to buy them - years ago. The KR struts/shocks are also a heck of a value right now. If I didn't already have a set on my '09 I'd be buying them pronto!

Just ordered 2 sets (8 wheels) one for my car and one for my wife's car. She is super excited to get these and so am I. I thought I would never be able to own a set of these and at this price it is a killer deal. $2098.00 for 2 sets :happy feet:

Ditto Grabber - I saw that you pulled the trigger soooo ( that sent me over the edge ) I just ordered a set for my GT500 ( but I only bought one set ) . I gotta keep up :hysterical: !

I've had mine on about a week now....at first I was not sure if I would like them or not, but now I love the look!

I'm glad I grabbed a set....and Rob, I agree that your pair of GT500s will look awesome together!

Quick question - what are the KR shocks? Are they much different than what I have from SAI as original upgrade equipment for an SGT?

Thanks,

Andy

Ditto Grabber - I saw that you pulled the trigger soooo ( that sent me over the edge ) I just ordered a set for my GT500 ( but I only bought one set ) . I gotta keep up :hysterical: !

I noticed last night that they increased the price by $50.00 for a set of 4 wheels. Hopefully you bought them before that happened.

Those two cars parked together with those wheels....man that is going to look good!

Your absolutely correct, they are going to look awesome. It's going to deserve a special :camera: photo shoot and it's own thread. :happy feet:

I just got off the phone with BuyFordRacing and was able to order one extra single wheel as a spare back up wheel in case we ever need to replace a wheel because of road rash or something unfortunate happens. The guy was familiar with my order and said that all these wheels are brand new. A single Wheel can not be ordered from there website so you have to call and order it. The single wheel with TPS and center cap was a little more to just order one. It cost me $299 but it is well worth it to have a back up....just in case.

Archived