TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Dodge are real Shelbys

bruces

Decided to enter my 87 Shelby GLHS in car show instead of one of my Shelby Mustangs parked next to 87 CSX at show and would you believe alot of people told me my car is not real Shelby!! showed them factory production photos window sticker raod test etc said only real Shelbys were Fords boy people are stupid didhave fun time though Mopar people at show were much nicer than Ford people and I know some of them from Sacc oh well anyone else had this happen???

I can't say i have ever ran into that with my GLHS at a show, I typically display a poster board anyways in front of the car. But i have had a couple people over the years question if I signed his name on the visor! Now that's stupid. My Roush Mustang is signed too, but nobody seems to care it is signed or if its a real signature.

Yes I agree sad though that people dont know there Shelby history YET will tell you about your car when I tell them that I toured the factory twice have photos and owned car since nw Sep 86 they just give me a dumb look, I think Ill just show car at Mopar show those people seem to know its real, and just an after thought have had less problem with my GLHS than my 07 SGT!!!!

Bruce, I`m glad you decided to take your GLHS out. Like 0136 said, all it means is that you have to show it off more! Don`t expect much love at the Mopar shows, though. They don`t seem to get it either, at least not around here.

I get the same thing with my CS6 all the time because "it's not a real Shelby, it's just a V6". There's a lot of "experts" out there, ignore them & enjoy showing off your ride :).

Ah....the Shelby Toyota 2000GT. Amazing how people will look you straight in the eyes and say that this never happened. Oh....ok....

Well, nobody is perfect :shrug: We'll let that Toyota slide.

All I know is with people like those, I'd hate to also be a Delorean or Tucker fan.

Never heard of the Toyota project either, but I have a little different view on these things. The more Shelby's I discover, the more exited I get. It reminds me of when I bought my first Shelby Charger and found out the history behind it and who Carroll was. It's nice that after 20 years of being a fan, I can still be surprised.

I always enjoy telling naysayers about how the 'lowly' Shelby Charger ate Mustang 5.0's for breakfast! (As per former 5.0 owners)!

You bring back the memories for me. Back in 1989 I had a 83' 5.0 and you are correct. My friend had a Shelby Charger and he smoked me every time we ran them. Thanks for reminding me!

You bring back the memories for me. Back in 1989 I had a 83' 5.0 and you are correct. My friend had a Shelby Charger and he smoked me every time we ran them. Thanks for reminding me!

LOL! (Sorry)! You're the 4th one to say this! (Well, 3rd, I guess, as two of them had owned the same 5.0, just at different times. Both of them have gone for rides in mine and admitted the 5.0, BEFORE they re-did the motor for the drag strip, couldn't keep up. The old weight/HP ratio).

• 2 weeks later...

Shelby dodges are as much Shelby as a Volkswagen routan is a Volkswagen. Yes it is a licensed Shelby product, yes it is super cool, but in the end, it's more dodge than Shelby.

Between my 8.5:1, 14.5psi one piece intake (1991+ I think) turbo II converted Daytona with custom burned 86 glhs solder in swapped roms, (flashing? EPROM? What's that?) manual boost controller, (grainger valve) [still thanking Gus Mahon for that invention] 89 common block, and god knows what other witchcraft under the hood my 17 year old mind could gather from SDAC, FMPML, and whatever other e-mailing lists I was on, (anyone remember those?)

{holy run on sentence batman!}

I came to the conclusion I should be more proud of the Dodge engineers, Lee Iacocca, and backyard heroes, like Garry Donovan. (spanking full blown Shelby's with a K-car, 9 seconds at a time)

I'm sure in the 80s, Shelby needed dodge, and dodge needed Shelby. It was a tough time full of lemons, and dodge was making some sweet lemonade.

With all that said, when I bought my 87 GLHS out of a salvage yard for $500.00, I was proud to own something Shelby was willing to license his rep to. It looked cool (to me) It confused more people than the Florida ballot, and I made money off it by just replacing the fuel pump. ( the whole reason the 85,000 mile car with a quarter panel dent was scrapped)

So be a proud SD owner, of course they are real. I would park one next to any "appearance package" blue oval Shelby any day. Explaining, and enlightening the masses is part of being a k-car owner, that and grinning ear to ear at every race....

P.S. Fallen tree killed my Daytona years ago, I cried... On the dark side now building my own 06 mustang convertible, in the k-car spirit, with some Shelby bits here and there. ;)

Shelby dodges are as much Shelby as a Volkswagen routan is a Volkswagen. Yes it is a licensed Shelby product, yes it is super cool, but in the end, it's more dodge than Shelby.

Between my 8.5:1, 14.5psi one piece intake (1991+ I think) turbo II converted Daytona with custom burned 86 glhs solder in swapped roms, (flashing? EPROM? What's that?) manual boost controller, (grainger valve) [still thanking Gus Mahon for that invention] 89 common block, and god knows what other witchcraft under the hood my 17 year old mind could gather from SDAC, FMPML, and whatever other e-mailing lists I was on, (anyone remember those?)

{holy run on sentence batman!}

I came to the conclusion I should be more proud of the Dodge engineers, Lee Iacocca, and backyard heroes, like Garry Donovan. (spanking full blown Shelby's with a K-car, 9 seconds at a time)

I'm sure in the 80s, Shelby needed dodge, and dodge needed Shelby. It was a tough time full of lemons, and dodge was making some sweet lemonade.

With all that said, when I bought my 87 GLHS out of a salvage yard for $500.00, I was proud to own something Shelby was willing to license his rep to. It looked cool (to me) It confused more people than the Florida ballot, and I made money off it by just replacing the fuel pump. ( the whole reason the 85,000 mile car with a quarter panel dent was scrapped)

So be a proud SD owner, of course they are real. I would park one next to any "appearance package" blue oval Shelby any day. Explaining, and enlightening the masses is part of being a k-car owner, that and grinning ear to ear at every race....

P.S. Fallen tree killed my Daytona years ago, I cried... On the dark side now building my own 06 mustang convertible, in the k-car spirit, with some Shelby bits here and there. ;)

Hi! I know you're not 'talking down' Shelby Dodges, but, wouldn't what you say about them being more 'Dodge' than 'Shelby' also apply to the Mustang being more 'Ford' than 'Shelby'?

To the best of my understanding, generally speaking, with the exception of the Shelby Olds Series One, he's most famous for taking existing vehicles and 'goosing them' to high(er) performance.

He didn't 'just put his name on it' but did the 'tune-er thing', before it became the current rage. (Yes, others were doing it too, but not on the scale of the Turbo Dodges).

Have a great day!

Archived