TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 take off blower for SGT?

I hope this topic hasn't been addressed previously. I recently saw a question asked in one of the Mustang mags about swapping a GT500 blower onto one of our cars. Apparently an outfit called Department of Boost has an intake to do the swap, and there are probably loads of take-off blowers around, since a lot of GT500 guys upgrade. Has anyone here looked into this? I'm curious if it's something that Shelby American might be able to do, to keep the lineage honest. I tried to check on blower installations on their website but it appears non-functional.

There was a place in Texas that was doing it a few years back, not sure if they still are. They had posted a few pages on the TS including the procedures and a few short videos of how they do it and the outcome. Unfortunately the posts were removed pretty quickly. It was good info and the total cost wasn't bad either.

There was a response to a letter sent in to 5.0. magazine asking the same question. It was the latest edition, and the writer was asking specifically about the DOB adapter for the GT500 supercharger to fit on a 3v. They didn't sound to enthusiastic about it. Read it if you can. They showed what was needed to complete the install, and inferred that the end cost would not be much cheaper that going with a 3v dedicated setup.

That was the magazine that I was referring to. I didn't get the impression they were unenthusiastic - just realistic about the potential cost, as you mentioned. A lot of it would probably come down to how cheap you could find the stuff you need to do the swap, and also whether SA would do it, which is my main question. If I can't get it done in Las Vegas, I'd just go for the usual blower install they do up there. To me, keeping the lineage honest is the main goal......well, along with more horsepower.

One of the things that kinda appeals to me about the GT500 swap is the fact that the blower is coming from a Shelby, too. All in the family, you know......

Archived