TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Used car dealerships and paint

Hello everyone!

New member here. Recently purchased a 2011 GT500 SVTPP Glass roof with 23K on the clock. I've put about 1K on it commuting back and forth to work. It is a blast to drive, I can't believe I've been missing out on this kind of performance for so long. A few years back I had a 97 GT so this is quite the change.

So to my question. I bought the car from a used car dealership in Houston. They have been in business for 30 years, small dealership with just two salesmen. I was very through looking the car over (I used to be a Ford Certified Tech so I am pretty good at knowing what I am looking at mechanical wise). I am afraid though that I got the wool pulled over my eyes in the paint category. I have washed it three times from when I bought it and it just seems to me like, very rapidly there are more scratches and rock chips showing up. Is there anything out there that a dealership can do to a car with black paint that would hide that long enough to get it off the lot? I wouldn't think wax would be enough.

I am pretty suspicious that the 1K in which I have driven it did not create all of the rock chips. They are all along the rocker (where the side stripes would be if I had them). I drive ~50 miles a day out of and into Houston on 59. There is quite a bit of traffic, but the road seems to be free of sand.

I can post picture if needed to see the degree of chipping.

Thanks in advance!

Jay

Whatever you do, get a set of front flaps from Jaeger Bros.

Otherwise, anything is possible - though the likeliest explanation is the tires throwing up grit and gravel. Fortunately, it's something a decent paint house should be able to spray over for less than $500, and you can establish a baseline for how much future shrapnel your rockers take.

Hello everyone!

New member here. Recently purchased a 2011 GT500 SVTPP Glass roof with 23K on the clock. I've put about 1K on it commuting back and forth to work. It is a blast to drive, I can't believe I've been missing out on this kind of performance for so long. A few years back I had a 97 GT so this is quite the change.

So to my question. I bought the car from a used car dealership in Houston. They have been in business for 30 years, small dealership with just two salesmen. I was very through looking the car over (I used to be a Ford Certified Tech so I am pretty good at knowing what I am looking at mechanical wise). I am afraid though that I got the wool pulled over my eyes in the paint category. I have washed it three times from when I bought it and it just seems to me like, very rapidly there are more scratches and rock chips showing up. Is there anything out there that a dealership can do to a car with black paint that would hide that long enough to get it off the lot? I wouldn't think wax would be enough.

I am pretty suspicious that the 1K in which I have driven it did not create all of the rock chips. They are all along the rocker (where the side stripes would be if I had them). I drive ~50 miles a day out of and into Houston on 59. There is quite a bit of traffic, but the road seems to be free of sand.

I can post picture if needed to see the degree of chipping.

Thanks in advance!

Jay

Ask some of the guys on this thread that think it is OK to drive their Shelby's on gravel roads. http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/81798-this-is-just-wrong/ They claim all that you need is a wash after a day at the gravel pit. Maybe one of them traded in their car and you got it. Did you get a Carfax on the car before purchase?

Yes, clean carfax. One owner, no mods. I am afraid I have become a victim of colored wax cover up.

I would never drive it on gravel (at any high rate of speed) the ride would be terrible, not to mention the soft sticky tires picking up and throwing gravel into the paint.

The '11-'12s are really terrific cars. No, they're not as powerful as the '13s and lack certain niceties like Recaros ('11) and selectable dampers, but the clutch is half the weight of the '13-'14 cars which makes them much easier cars to simply relax and enjoy driving.

I love my '13s to no end - but I'd have also kept the '12 had I the opportunity to do things over again.

Yes, clean carfax. One owner, no mods. I am afraid I have become a victim of colored wax cover up.

I would never drive it on gravel (at any high rate of speed) the ride would be terrible, not to mention the soft sticky tires picking up and throwing gravel into the paint.

Sorry you got the shaft on the paint cover up. Sounds like a good car otherwise. You may have to get some painting done to restore the finish. Make sure you take Madlock's advice and get the front flaps. https://www.shelbystore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=S10M-16550-BF

i have a black Caddy STSV that had incredible amount of micro scrtaches when i bought it.Detailers told me that there wasnt enough clear to buff them out. Thru a caddy forum i found out about liquid glass---its not a awax but a chemical covering that if you put on several coats, you cant see any swirls at all.Maybe thats wht they used You might also consider using 3Ms Defender system whch puts on a clear shield to prvent chips--AutoZone has it

Most car dealers have touchup guys they call in to airbrush flaws in the paint. There are a number of products on the market to hide swirls and mild clearcoat scratches. I prefer the Zaino products because they form a very hard finish that won't come off during regular washings (using car soaps only).

i have a black Caddy STSV that had incredible amount of micro scrtaches when i bought it.Detailers told me that there wasnt enough clear to buff them out. Thru a caddy forum i found out about liquid glass---its not a awax but a chemical covering that if you put on several coats, you cant see any swirls at all.Maybe thats wht they used You might also consider using 3Ms Defender system whch puts on a clear shield to prvent chips--AutoZone has it

I have used nothing but Liquid Glass Polish on all my vehicles for over 30 years. Multiple hardened coats (about 10 or more) will help prevent stone chips but will not fix paint that is severely damaged. LG will correct micro scratches and swirls with no problem, even on a black car. It will also not come off as the OP indicated happened in his case. I suspect his car will need some paint to fix the severe chip problem. After that, using LG and installing the above recommended stone guards will help prevent the problem from recurring.

I have 22 coats of LG on my Shelby. Not one chip, scratch, or other paint flaw. I have 70+ coats (lost track) on my 2001 Dodge Ram. Not a single stone chip on the front of the truck (13 years and 93K miles). Also have 22 coats on my wifes black BMW. Had swirls all over it when we took delivery. Paint is now perfect.

They more than likely used a glaze, it does wonderful (although temporary) job of filling and hiding small scratches. Your washing is removing the glaze and exposing the real finish. The only thing you can do is correct the paint. I believe I went into some detail about that somewhere on here. If you can find those posts.. join Autogeek forum and read...read.. read. By yourself a good machine like the flex XC3401 some good pads (lake county) and your paint can and will look better than 90% of the cars you see. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

Archived