TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Finally! New clutch. Day and night difference.

The factory clutch in the '07 finally played out after 13,000 miles. Just installed the McLeod RXT setup with the lightened steel flywheel. I would have done this years ago if I had known what a difference there was. The lighter pedal pressure is a dream compared to the stock pedal pressure. Trans doesn't grind anymore when shifting. I've cussed the trans for years when it was actually the krap clutch Ford used. Happier than that s**t eatin possum that just found a spoon.

Congrats!! I have thinking about doing the same clutch! Can I ask why you went with the lightened steel flywheel versus aluminum? So the shifting is much smoother? I have had the TSB done, but still have the old clutch and flywheel, so I am looking to upgrade and make it a great driver. Thanks for any feedback you can offer.

Depending on driving habits and how you use your Shelby will go a long way to deciding which type flywheel you choose. Most will agree that the engine will rev faster with the lighter flywheel but will not accelerate as fast from a standstill as when leaving a red light or the starting line if racing. A heavier flywheel overcomes inertia better than a lighter flywheel. That's just my viewpoint and I'm sure those that choose an aluminum flywheel will have their reasons. And yes, at least in my case, the trans shifts a lots easier. Still kind of notchy, which I think is just a trait of this trans, but the grinding is no longer there.

I am amazed Ford didn't discover the lousy feel and early failures of the 07 clutch system. I recall them shrugging off early concerns by saying this was a result of using a high performance dual disk clutch.

They didn't discover that you could easily stall the car unless you got the release just perfect, or the fact the car would vibrate and jerk when trying to slowly pull up a driveway to park. I am glad they finally listened to their customers and had a fix after 3 years.

Well I wish I made the same choice I suppose. I posted back on June 22nd my small nightmare with a SPEC SuperTwin. Steeda did the job. I've even asked the Shelby tech centre about my problem, without any response. The problem is the vibration put out when decelerating. It all happens, sometimes, on high acceleration, gears 2 and 3. In 5th and 6th, decelerating is annoying. Sometimes the whole interior shutters.

I took the car back to Steeda. They did not disassemble and the tech said it was normal after he drove it. I think it's BS. Torque down, that's what he called it. Again BS. I went to SPEC and they are willing to have an RMA done if I can prove there is a problem with the actual clutch. That means taking the whole this back to Steeda again. 5.5 hour drive each way and leaving my car there until it gets resolved.

My next choice will be to bite the bullet and have another clutch installed.

Not fun........not a good experience.

Archived